Thread: Hello, New to bushcraft and would like some tips and advice please

Hello, New to bushcraft and would like some tips and advice please

Hello, I am new to bushcraft.

I recently did a tour of Scotland but did it with a motorhome. I came across a bushcraft enthusiast who had been living in the wilderness for a week. I thought "WOW, this is awesome" So i got home and started looking into it. There is so much information so thought i would join this forum as i figured this would be the best place for advice. As i'm only starting out what would advice could you give a beginner on what equipment to use, good locations, techniques in fire starting, foraging etc.

Thanks,

Mike
    All things wild ESCAPE THE 9 TO 5 and operate your business from anywhere in the world. Discover your true freedom

Hello Mike and welcome.

You've made a great first step as there is a wealth of information and knowledge on this site. You are best off attending any meet you can as you'll get good advice, get to see what kit folks use (right up close) and learn what works for you and more importantly what doesn't. IF you have any basic kit (such as a tent and sleeping bag), I'd stick with that for now and think about what to purchase later on, once, you've seen what others are using.

There are loads of "lit lists" on this forum (just have a search). Also, many groups for bushcraft are springing up on Facebook - have a search there for meets local to you.

Finally, ask on here if you need an answer - we don't bite

Cheers,

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

It's a question hard to answer, as there are as many approaches to this as there are people doing it.
    What I suggest for you is to try and spend a night out, preferably near your home, car or your caravan.
    That way you will see if the kit you allready have will work for you, or if changes needs to be done.

Also take note of any shortfalls in your own knowledge and then ask herre again when you have something specific to ask about :-)

I suggest the near your home approach so you have somewhere to retreat to if things goes pear shaped for you. Remeber: Return before it is to late, and there is no shame in it.
    When I first got a hammock and tarp I spent the first night in it, 300 meters from home. Just in case I needed to correct something.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    Do you already have a bit of camping kit? Tent, sleeping bag, kip mat of some kind?
    If so, you're good to go.
    Don't get hung up on kit, and don't think you need a load of bushcraft skills to enjoy a bit of wild camping. Just get out there, relax under the stars and go home feeling the better for it.
    In terms of skills, what are your priorities? What do you feel you want to learn? Have a think, have a search and ask away; loads of knowledge here to tap into! Most importantly, have fun!

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice everyone. As far as kit goes i've got a 2 man tent and a sleeping back and thats about it haha. I have set myself a budget of a grand to get started in buying any equipment I might need. and to answer your question Pootle, I want to be able to do it all (eventually) starting a fire without using a match or lighter would be a good start for me. plus, is there any good books out there related to bushcraft that could help me on my way?
    All things wild ESCAPE THE 9 TO 5 and operate your business from anywhere in the world. Discover your true freedom

There are two FB groups local to you, both called West Yorkshire Bushcraft, there may be others. They meet up about once a month and there is a wealth of knowledge, willingly shared, within the membership.
    “If the apple won't fall - go shake the tree.”
    ― Isaac Newton

Thanks Ichneumon, I'll have a look at them groups

Also Mike - not sure if you've seen the Kit List link on the home page:

https://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/k...-kit-list.html

I'm not suggesting you rush out and buy it all, but when you do go to a meet, check out what others are using on the list in term sof brand/cost etc.
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Thanks, Ehecatl, That is exactly what i was looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Michaellarder View Post
    Thanks, Ehecatl, That is exactly what i was looking for
    You are most welcome. Most items in the list have probably been discussed somewhere on here - you've just got to find where!