Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leather craft

Leather craft

Hi all
    Looking for some advice on leather work. I've an urge to give this a real go and concentrate on wallets, belts, book marks, dog collars and possibly bags/satchels overtime all with embossing on them. Can anyone give ideas on tools required etc and where best to get them

I use the Identity store and occasionally Tandy. Regarding tools, if you check out you tube for leatherwork tools you will get a good idea of what you need for the projects you want to do. Ebay is also a good source for belt blanks, buckles etc. There are some really good leatherworkers on here who can offer sound advice. Look up celtic leathercraft for ideas, Brian is a really knowlegable guy.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

As with all tools, watch out for cheap ones. My wife/kids bought me a set of crimp tools with poppers. Only once the pack is open do you find that the poppers are limited to material under 1mm thick (0.8mm if I recall). Not only that, but when I applied them I found I bent the handles of the crimp pliers! I'm no gorilla; I sit at a desk and work a keyboard every day. It's as if they're made of cheese.

A list of tools that are good and "satisfactory" would be interesting to see here. I've heard people speak well of rotary cutters and self-healing mats. Something like this (I've chosen products at random!):

Function Entry level Professional
    Cutter Olfa RTY-2/G Original Rotary Cutter 45mm Olfa Deluxe Rotary Cutter 45mm RTY2/DX
    Self-healing cutting mat A5 SELF HEAL CUTTING MAT A2 Self-Healing Cutting Mat
    Hole punch
    Fitting Poppers
    Punching stitching holes
    Needles
    Sewing Thread
    The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. - Chinese Proverb

Milling over this, I had a thought (WARNING - danger zone).

Amazon has some way of shopping via a referrer so that the person/company that refers you gets a little slice of whatever you spend there. Does NBC have something like that so that Ashley can get a little money for the forum and site?
    The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. - Chinese Proverb

The forum and site is run on a donation basis only. If you remember some time ago we had the saga with the 'sales' page where it started to look like the site was being used for commercial sales and that there could be a potential income. This all had to be shut down to avoid possible tax implications as Ash does not make a penny from this site and that's the way he has always wanted it run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just gonna open up this thread, instead of starting a new one...
    I've decided to ask for some Leather working tools for Christmas from my better half.
    This is the list I have so far, any reccomendations on good (but reasonable / entry level) brands and suppliers very much appreciated. Also, if I can readily improvise with any of these that would save some dosh!
    Needles
    Thread
    Groover
    Overstitch wheel (using a fork any good?)
    Hole punch
    Rivet punch thing.

I have suitable knives, a cutting mat and a Dremel. Can the latter be reliably used instead of a punch?

Any other thoughts welcome!

Cheers all.

I would look at the Tandy website. I have some of their gear and no complaints so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    I would look at the Tandy website. I have some of their gear and no complaints so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks Justin, Tandy is the name that's come up most in forum searches.

I see some very cheap tools from banggood.com as well. I've not bought any yet so I can't testify on quality, but you could read their reviews to see what people say. I've ordered a lot of electronics from them and had no issues.

Order now if you want it before Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    I see some very cheap tools from banggood.com as well. I've not bought any yet so I can't testify on quality, but you could read their reviews to see what people say. I've ordered a lot of electronics from them and had no issues.

Order now if you want it before Christmas.
    Wow, crazy cheap!
    There's no way the quality would be there, but I guess if they last enough for me to make two or three useful items I'd be happy. Then if I wanted to pursue the hobby I could replace components as they died.