Thread: point me in the right direction please...

Alone in the Wilderness

point me in the right direction please...

Hello all

After telling my wife my plan to take our 2 eldest kids on a "survival weekend" during the summer hols, I have been on the internet trying to find a wild campsite or farm with hunting allowed or river fishing (so we can eat the fish) or sea fishing... Basicly a wild camping experiance in a secluded area where we can live of the land for a couple of days.

I would really appreciate any suggestions to get the no thrills "survival" camping trip to teach my kids a life lesson in appreciation.

We live in Essex and I dont mind a couple of hours driving if need be.

Hi Jay.

You don't say how much experience you or your children have (wild) camping. I'd suggest striking a balance between it being challenging yet enjoyable, assuming of course you wish them join you for a second time.

There's also their ages too. For younger children, it will be enough that a fire needs to be prepared and fuelled before any cooking can start.

Anyway, dare I say it, but Facebook is often a good source of the types of places you are seeking.

Good luck,

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Alone in the Wilderness
    Thanks for the response Matt.

I have no question about my abilitys to camp, make a fire, with flint and steel might I add, but I'll take a lighter I also hunt wood pigeon and rabbits with an air rifle too, although this wont be an option for the trip but I can set snairs and I'm quite a capable fisherman. The ages are 8 and 9, they are into the outdoor stuff and done a little camping in the garden. They are well up for the challange, and yea would be good if they would like to do it again.

so you mean like a facebook page or group, are there any you have had experiance with or could recommend?

nice one, Jay

Do a search for "Bushcraft" in FB and check out the groups - there are loads and hopefully one that will be of benefit to you.

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.