Thread: Leylandii tree log bowl & spoon carving

Leylandii tree log bowl & spoon carving

Hi All

Just wondering if it is OK to use Leylandii Tree Logs for carving bowls and spoons, and actually use them, in case the wood might be toxic or unhygenic etc.
    What's your advice and idea? We have quite lumpsome of these tree logs lying in the backgarden, and I was carving some faces and stuff, but wondering about carving spoons and bowls, because the Leylandii woods seem very hard and have some nice grains. It reminded me of pine tree woods, but when dry, it seem get more solid. cheers.
    Last edited by spader; 13-06-2017 at 04:46 PM.

I have used it for turning bowls because the grain looked good. You can seal it after finishing.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

How do you seal them? Any photos for the turned bowls from Leylandii woods? Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1223.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	13909Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1219.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	13910Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1224.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	13911
    I have used a polyurethane sealant. I have alo used walnut oil (food oil from supermarket) on others. the bowls were turned from the other half of the log to the one they are sitting on.
    “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

They are very nice and beautiful. I like the grains of the bowls too. Are they used for containing food?
    Thank you for your information and sharing the photos of the bowls.

Quote Originally Posted by spader View Post
    They are very nice and beautiful. I like the grains of the bowls too. Are they used for containing food?
    Thank you for your information and sharing the photos of the bowls.
    I use a thinner one as a plate when I am out in the woods, mostly used as fruit bowls etc. I have a goblet turned from a labururnum log which has some great grain patterns and knowing that the seeds/flowers are toxic I was unsure about the wood, so I sealed the mug with polyurethane and do use it for drinking. It has no taste or taint at all. Pine needles are used as a medicinal tea but not yew or cypress. It is reputed to slow the aging process and contains vitamin c and anti- oxidents so maybe wooden vessels for food can be beneficial

Great stuff. Thanks for info. Interesting.

I have large pile of Leylandii tree stumps in the garden, so needing to debark them, cut them into a foot long a piece, and store them in the shed for carving later on.
    First I wasn't sure if they are useful at all for anything, but when I tried carving a face, it came out very well. It was very hard and dense, but seem holding details very well. Plus it has nice grains in the woods, which look cool. So was wondering how suitable the Leylandii woods would be for bowls, kuksas and spoons carving.

So I thought maybe I could try some bowl carving. It would be my first try. I have rough cut a few pieces into spoon shape with my Bahco carving axe, and they are waiting to be carved. But bowls? I am not sure, I thought I may need more tools such as Adze, spoon carving knives and even rock hammer picking on the woods in smaller space of the bowl?

I can see what you mean by ant aging / slowing down age process when consumed anti oxident based natural teas and also in wooden mugs instead of plastic or china mugs, and the pine needles - they are excellent for brewing teas which are beneficial to health.

All I have is a carving axe by Bahco, Mora carving knives and Flexcut gouges, so not sure if I do need more tools for doing the bowls and spoons.

But I am not sure the polyurethane stuff for sealing due to no knowledge or experience on using it if it is OK to be in contact with food or teas in the bowls and mugs.
    Last edited by spader; 17-06-2017 at 12:25 AM.