Thread: Leylandii tree log bowl & spoon carving

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Great stuff. Thanks for info. Interesting.

I have large pile of Leylandii tree stumps in the garden, so needing to debark them, cut them into a foot long a piece, and store them in the shed for carving later on.
    First I wasn't sure if they are useful at all for anything, but when I tried carving a face, it came out very well. It was very hard and dense, but seem holding details very well. Plus it has nice grains in the woods, which look cool. So was wondering how suitable the Leylandii woods would be for bowls, kuksas and spoons carving.

So I thought maybe I could try some bowl carving. It would be my first try. I have rough cut a few pieces into spoon shape with my Bahco carving axe, and they are waiting to be carved. But bowls? I am not sure, I thought I may need more tools such as Adze, spoon carving knives and even rock hammer picking on the woods in smaller space of the bowl?

I can see what you mean by ant aging / slowing down age process when consumed anti oxident based natural teas and also in wooden mugs instead of plastic or china mugs, and the pine needles - they are excellent for brewing teas which are beneficial to health.

All I have is a carving axe by Bahco, Mora carving knives and Flexcut gouges, so not sure if I do need more tools for doing the bowls and spoons.

But I am not sure the polyurethane stuff for sealing due to no knowledge or experience on using it if it is OK to be in contact with food or teas in the bowls and mugs.
    Last edited by spader; 16-06-2017 at 11:25 PM.