Thread: Life in our wood

Banned

Life in our wood

We were (very) lucky enough to be able to buy a small section of a larger wood earlier this year and a couple of weeks ago had our first day camp there. Although it rained most of the day the large tarp stretched over our heads did its job and we could sit there by a cast-iron barrel barbecue whose first outing it was also. The barbecue certainly was easier that trying to keep a fire going would have been in those damp conditions.

It raises the question, if one has plenty of wood available is it worth converting some of it to charcoal for its convenience and cooking abilities? Two rabbits did very well on the barbecue grill, wrapped in foil with butter, apples and onions. The kettle was on all day.

We must now decide how much we want to do to the wood, whether to create the clearings that were there up to about twenty years ago or to leave the young oak and other hardwoods. At the moment I feel like just leaving it except for some discrete path creation. One benefit of ownership is that I can indulge in field archery as much as I want.

Next year a prehistoric style hut will be built because I also hope to do some more living history. Additional wild food plants such as wood sorrel will be introduced and I may plant some native fruit trees such as crab apple. The Mesolithic people were THE bushcraft experts and we can do a lot by trying to emulate them.

If I may I will tell how it goes.

You are indeed most fortunate. I don't think I know a single Bushcrafter who would not love to own a woodland to enjoy the freedom we all cherish so much. For my part, I just love working in woodlands. I drove an hour to visit Dave Budd once, just so I could help out one Sunday. I loved it - it was a near perfect day. Though I was a little too enthusiastic to get stuck in I think; I might have come across impatient. My only regret from that day is that I didn't accept his partner's very good safety advice on snedding as graciously as I should have.

I bought a bit of woodland last year near to wear I live. Best thing I ever did. Like the idea of a hut. Was thinking of building a treehouse.

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Thumbs up Thanks for Sharing Edwin

That's great to hear, thanks for sharing Edwin, I look forward to hearing how you get on with it.

My opinion is yes, it probably would be worth converting some wood to charcoal if your going to be cooking there a lot You can make charcoal on a small scale using an oil-drum, here's a good little video that shows you how:

Quote Originally Posted by WoodTroll View Post
    .. Like the idea of a hut. Was thinking of building a treehouse..
    hehe... ever thought that Bushcraft just keeps us big-kids at heart? I love it!
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Who wants to grow up. That would be very dull.

I have made charcoal for my forge out of sapling oaks from around me. I built a large Dakota Hole-about 2' deep, 2x3' wide and long. I then made a side hole the diameter of a coffee can to draft the fire. I built up the fire for an hour or two until I had a lot of good coals, I then placed a sheet of metal over it and sealed the edges with dirt. I shoved a coffee can into the draft hole and sealed it off with dirt. I dug it out the next day and stored it into a 20 gallon drum. I did not cook over it but I did make a few blades with it.