Thread: Greetings, introduction and mod quest

Hobo

Greetings, introduction and mod quest

Greetings everyone,

I am new to DIY, modding and this forum in general. I've recently bought an LK35 Swedish Army rucksack and have decided to play around with it, upgrading it. Many youtube videos offer useful info, but a forum of like-minded (hopefully!) people is equally - if not more so. I've started on it very recently and I am still purchasing additional items I plan on attaching to it. For example, I've purchased a "MOLLE II MOLDED WAIST BELT US MILITARY DESERT CAMO" and I am on the lookout for "MOLLE Pack Shoulder Straps". The LK35 doesn't have a hip padded belt at all and its shoulder straps are very rudimentary, especially in my case. I plan on increasing its capacity of 35lt and will need the help to distribute the weight proportionally when I am done with it.

Here is a photo of my first little project:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20170525-095942.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	13883  

Welcome. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Hobo
    Thanks. I have a lot planned for it. First of all though, I need to spend some time learning how to sew, various knots, which one to use, etc. I plan on adding two 10lt plce pouches on the sides and I am trying to decide what would work best, direct sewing, or creating molle webbing in order to have more flexibility by taking them off when not needed. My concern is with the integrity of molle webbing attachment of large-volume items. I know I can sew molle straps all over the sides and create very thick webbing, but will this along with correct attachment (I am aware that there is a quick fix for attaching, but to my opinion stuff is all over the place if not done properly) be enough in order to avoid any dangling whatsoever?

I'm sure molle pouches would be okay if done right, though I've never used them myself so can't really advise.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Hobo
    I'll try it first between two medium-small haversacks in order to judge if stability will be within acceptable (for me) parameters. For the moment though, i am practicing my sewing skill on a cannibalized harness. I've gone with covering the strap sides with a webbing tape. Not a good job, but i am learning and i will need all the skill before i proceed to the racksuck sewing, direct or molle.

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." - Confucius.

Hobo
    The first half of this project went well and fast, not due to my skills though. The front 2 straps from the Swedish harness were not sewed in, so I jusr took them out and run them through the PLCE yoke's plastic buckles. The second half of the project is more challenging, due to the straps being sewed on the shoulder pads. Unfortunately they are wider than the others, so I had to cut them down to size for the part I will be using for adjustments. This presented me with a problem. Having cut along both sides in order to resize them, they would start fraying easily now. I tried sealing by passing through flame, but I din't see it working in the long term. I decided to cover the sides of the mutilated straps with acrylic webbing tape. Not a pretty result and the added thickness from the tape has made it difficult to run through and adjust, but it is sturdy and will hold. Plus I have a much better idea of what is involved with regards to sewing by hand. A word to the wise: If you buy the "Silver Creek Speedy Stitcher With Thread" 17.jpg do not use the sewing needles that go with it. They are for sailing canvas, meaning extra thick, meaning big holes. Plus the thread was a little too thick for my taste.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	13890

Name:	02.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	13891

Name:	03.jpg