Thread: Skrama or kukri???

Tramp

Skrama or kukri???

Hi
    I'm looking at getting a large knife for camp work rough carving building etc
    And would like to see what other members think about either the large Finnish skrama knife or a kukri
    I'm leaning towards the skrama more tbh just seems a Bit more user friendly
    But what do you think

What do you mean by a large knife? Personally I don't use anything larger than say a Mora Companion. Any larger work gets the saw and axe treatment

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tramp
    Well for instance the skrama has a 240cm blade length
    I'm trying to get away from taking an axe for ease of carrying etc

A leuku is an excellent camp knife. Basically you get a knif ethe size of a chef knife, that you can also use to chop with, and for every task you can throw a knife at, including cutting, chopping fryaing spade, bread knife, vegetable cutter, chefs knife...
    I have also owned a Khukri, an it is the mos imrpactcial knife I have ever owned.

There are now full tank "leukus"out there if you are among the ones that absolutely must baton a knife trough wood. Actuallay sniffing at one of those myself, but have been avoiding the temptation so far
    as I do not need it...or rather want one bad enough, lol
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Tramp
    Yes I've looked at a leuku and must admit it's on the list of possibles but I am leaning towards the skrama
    I plan doing a lot of kayak camping this summer on some of our smaller rivers and the skrama looks like it can handle fallen branches trees etc and seems like it would be a little more user friendly for things like this and for General camp work as opposed to an axe say which although a good multi purpose tool is still limited .