Thread: ey up

ey up

Hello all.

new to this site but not to forums, long time on trueways till they pulled the plug and a few thousand bcuk posts before it went impossible to read and too cliquey so even the mods I'm friends with don't bother to read it anymore. been on a few US forums but they tend to get too obsessed with ammo load out or zombies.

I'm 47 ex mil (infantry/recce then medics) and grew up with Eddie Mcgee, les hiddins and lofty wiseman on the telly in scarborough back when it was called survival not bushcraft and we prepped to deal with mutually assured destruction rather than global financial crashes or twisting an ankle on a wilderness stag do. Nowadays I live in south west brum and do the house up while waiting for the ball to be dropped and all hell to break loose as an intellectual side hobby.

I have a very varied skillset so hope to contribute where required hopefully without treading on the squeamish button in the process as I can sometimes be a bit blunt so tell me off first. I regard myself as a survivalist (for want of a better term as the US has ruined it like bushcrafter has been IMO spoilt by a poncy camping brigade who think that spoon wittling will get them out of any katrina like disaster the world can throw at them (as long as they can have all their kit with them and the internet). - some may be aware of my epic BCUK topic 'are we not allowed to be called survivalists anymore' which hit many hundreds of pages and the response at moots of 'ah so you're crazydave ) I am not a ray mears junkie nor a Bear Grylls superfan although unlike many I can see what he tries to do in his programs and it is of more use than much of RMs output where he was desperate for a countryfile job - as long as you paid attention and didn't spend all your time shouting at the screen while wearing your ventile pyjamas, reindeer skin slippers and swanndri night cap.

I've taught survival as well to soldiers and scouts so my take on things will probably be different to your usual bushcrafters mindset.

tea and buns

Dave C

now to figure out the avatar and signature bit.

OH and I currently have ebola grade man flu and am in quarantine, hopefully my antivirus will filter it out but you have been warned and I take no responsibility for the decimation that it may cause.

Thanks for the warning!

There are so many new people that I may just use your thread to introduce myself.
    I am your resident Norwegian. Living in on an island in Arctic Norway, I am a gear hoarding shiny kit hoarder.
    Currently I cant seem to have enough stoves and cheap chinese made molle pouches to keep them in...
    Also former army with two tours in the Lebanon and one to the Balkans, as a signaler. Also worked with security coms for the UN in Iraq, The SUdan and Eritrea, and for the Norwegian foreign office
    with a cease fire monitoring mission in Sri Lanka before my guts decided to mess up my life.

I am no spoon whitler either. I whitled spoons 3-4 four years ago, still have them and feel no need to make new ones until the old ones break, as it is simply to much work
    and I tend to cut myself on my double edged spoon knife...I have a .50 cal ammo box full of knives...and still have not found that one knife. 99% of my "in the woods" knife use is making spits for making charcoal out of hot dogs over the fire...and to slice open the packs of sausage. The pist I happily make out of saplings as the woods here are growing over, and we want them gone.

Not a survivalist nor a prepper. Not really a bushcrafter. I fish, and I go for short walks, take some pretty pictures, brew up on a stove or open fire and go home. Some times I car camp in a hammock, as I am too lazy and out of shape to hike very far. Always hated hiking, and nature bores me stiff. I could probably visit Grand canyon, spend 5 miutes on the view, then find a place that has wi-fi to watch a movie on Netflix. I used to hunt when younger but to out of shape for that now. The reason for my out of shapeness is a combination of laziness and medical reasons.

When I am out there it is to fish, take pretty pictures and make a brew...not to admire the view or "enjoy nature", although it is nice to meet a Moose...the adrenaline kick it gets me as I anticipate which one of us will run away is great. If it is not the moose, I am a bad tree climber, and the birch around here is not tall enough to escape anyway. And some times, while fishing I look up and see something pretty like the sun shining trough the fog in the morning, and I think, wish I had the camera...

Else I like to give advice on what to wear in cold climates, and share tips on cheap outdoors kits and equipment. Oh and I feel a compulsonary need to anser posts like yours, with my own dribel, anecdote about how things are done in Norway, and tell the whole world whenever I bought something new from China on Ebay...welcome here.

PS Oh and wehn that Beer Grills character visted Norway, we made him cry....
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 16-05-2017 at 12:53 AM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Norway made me cry as well. I got hypothermia and frostnip on the way to murmansk over the north cape when a whole section of us went through the ice

I keep threatening to go back and cycle back up to Kirkenes and tromso, the battleship turrets on the coast are a sight to see, were still in use when I was up there last and the fishcakes were to die for.

the scandanavians at least sought to relearn what they had so nearly forgotten, how to enjoy the outdoors. here we are still in the total denial phase. I loved working with scandi troops and scandi scouts over the years.

Has anyone ever tried to headbutt a moose to stun it? at least you will have a good story to tell Odin when you enter valhalla.

Hello Dave and welcome,

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

A moose wont even try to head but you. It will simply kick you in thehead until you stop moving, then urinate on you and stomp off...
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Welcome to the community

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk