Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whats in your bushcraft bag?

For a day out I'll use a small bag - a Wisport Sparrow 20 with a couple of side pouches does the trick.
    In that I'll have a waterproof sheet to sit on (the local army surplus shop sold them as 'German Army waterproof sheets' - and great things they are too). I'll also have a small foam pad (cut from an old bed roll) for sitting on.
    For cooking/brewing it will depend on a lot of things - where I'm going, what I'm doing, what mood I'm in. Either a meths stove or a gas burner, or maybe a collapsible fire box. Brewkit consists of a 1L nalgene bottle that sits inside a 750ml titanium mug. For food I'll either take a sandwich with me or, if it's a cold day and I fancy something hot, a pack of noodles or a frankfurter or something simple like that. Of course, you then need a pot or pan for cooking that in.

That will form the basis of what I take.

Then come the luxuries, which will depend on what I intend on doing that day.
    A hammock is a good idea. It can be sat in or just to lay back and listen to the sounds of the countryside. Might take some whittling tools if that's what I intend on doing.
    I'll also take a tarp/basha, but only if such weather is predicted or possible. Although in summer it's a good sunshade as well.

So, in looking at it, I'd say you've got everything covered for just a day out. It's too easy to over-pack and talk yourself into things 'just in case'.

Oh yeah, one thing you have missed out and no one's mentioned yet - a pair of binoculars and/or camera. Always have those with me because you never know what sights Mother Nature might offer you.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Oh I always bring a camera. Since I stopped making those Youtuve vids, it's been a full isized dSLR and tripod. For binos I have the choise between a pair of cheap chinese monocular scopes, or my grandfathers full sized Carl Zeis maritime binos...that weigh a ton, and I do not dare bring them anywhere...

Else for sitting I have a bum sized CCF pad. For the go-bag I use one thatis quite thin and is made to be folded, so it packs down to about a sandwich size. In my small backkpacks I stuff them at the back, to help as padding towards my back.

I am thinking about hammocks and tarps/rain ponchos. It is so seldom that I actually bother to set them up when I am out, that I may just drop them to save weight. The reason is my fatigue problem. When I get to my target for the day, I am usually so knackered that all I do is just sit there, gulping down an energy bar, followed by a red bull or energy drink, and thats just to give me the energy to
    fire up a stove and get a brew, and some food down my neck, so that I have the strength to do some fishing or photography...the surgery I had back in september pretty much sapped the strength I had bult up since my prior surgeries, so this winter has been quite lazy, but right now I cant wait for the snow to melt in the woods so taht I can start my micro hikes gain, and get into some sort of shape...
    else I have to use snow shoes, and I simply don't have the energy needed for it right now...okay I am whinging!
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

You still have snow, how many months average do you not have it

In the hills it stays far out into June, and comes back in October most years...here on the shoreline it is mostly gone by mid may...
    This time of year it is so rotten that you sink down to your hips every thrid step if you are not on skis or snow shoes.

Here is a vid I made from a walk in the local forest in on 28. april 2013, conditions are about the same now. The video starts just across the road from where I live :-)
    The fun with rotten snow starts about 4 minutes in.

Last edited by FishyFolk; 05-05-2017 at 08:48 AM.
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Nice video, all that on your door step, very envious, we had similar problems in Sweden when walking without snow shoes, most steps were fine, the odd one saw you sinking to your hip Great fun though.

For me it is just a strength sapping chore...I would be fine with it if I was in better shape. But this body of mine is running on fumes before I leave the house most days, hehe
    But soon the snow will be gone, and walking will be easy until the undegrowth starts coming in...I'll make the most of it and try to walk myself into better shape.
    Also I am on some new medication that will eventuellay bring down the infection levels in my body...that will help on my stamina too.

The whole reason I always keep my bag packed and ready is to help me find the energy to go out at all. I found that if I have to run around the house assembling my kit,
    the strength and will to actually go is gone before I am packed. If I make the decition to go, I have to go right then and there...thats how run down I am...

Another example, last night the boys helped me change to summer tires on the car. Even if the lads did all the physical work, and all I did was making sure all the nuts where tight after each tire change
    that required an hours rest after...

So now you know why I do not go on long hikes...and I used to be able to tab on forever.
    (Roald Amundsen)

It must be frustrating mate, hope you're up for long walks soon