Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats in your bushcraft bag?

Whats in your bushcraft bag?

I am waiting for my new daypack.

The plan is to make it into an always ready packed "bushcraft" bag, like a larger version of my usual shoulder bag that jsut holds a brew and fire kit, plus a knife and some
    toys like a sling shot.

I already have all the gear I need. But what do you typically put in yours?
    Note I am not very much into "prepping". It's not a survival system I am after, but simply a "day out in the woods, possibly with kids and other familly" type system.

I know that for most it depends on the plan for the day, but for your typical day out in the dirt,
    what do you bring to play with?
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

I don't get out for days normally, it's always an overnighter but if I were to I would probably take a tarp, a chair or hammock to sit on / in, a project to work on and a catty and ammo, brew kit and tools ?

A hammock is a great idea. I have one that packs pretty small that I made from parachute silk I got from a kind member of NB :-)
    We used to keep the runt in it when he was a todler and needed a nap when we where out :-) A coupåle of those foldable or roll upp sitting pads as well.

Also got a little used GI rain poncho I can use as a tarp for rainy days, but seldom bother setting it up. By the time I reach my spot I will allready be wet, and wearing my gore tex...
    but the wife may apreciate it :-)

else, the hatchet and knife, a cook set, probably combined the Optimus Nova stove, as I am currently madly in love with it... :-P
    hmmm...this summer will probably be fishing for trout a lot, as my surf rod broike last summer and my gear alowance went when I purchased the Nova...
    So I'll bring the box of spinners, and UL reel most of the time, but I got a separate pouch for those I can just throw in when going fishing...makes no sence bringing it on local trips,a sthere are no lakes
    within my walking distance.

hmm...clothes, nah, just a a thin fleece sweater and some dry socks would be nice. Maybe a couple of freeze dried meals, tea and sugar, instant chocklates and soups.
    FAK, fire kit...and something for lunch and tea....

What else?
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Sat here with a BIG grin on my face, you've basically described an overnighters worth of gear, for a day trip lmao

Quote Originally Posted by bopdude View Post
    Sat here with a BIG grin on my face, you've basically described an overnighters worth of gear, for a day trip lmao
    The requirements are about the same, just do not need a sleeping bag and under quilt for the hammock...
    Still need food, and some dry clothes on rainy days if you are out all day...

But with the size and volume of my sleep kit, I need a Bergan to carry it (I use a 120 litre Norrønna Recon pack, and its full to bursting point, while bringing littple more tnan described above.)
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 30-04-2017 at 10:30 AM.
    (Roald Amundsen)

Yeah I've seen your video's mate, a lot of kit as you say but needed for the conditions, would love that on my doorstep, may have to pop in for a brew 1 year

You'r welcome any time. And the trout fishing is great around here too, so if you show up one day I'll take you fishing :-)
    (Roald Amundsen)

I would like to think that's doable, used to love fishing, especially on the fly

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

There is a one hand fly rod somewhere out ther ein the shed... i try using it every year, fail miserably and go back to my UL rod and 3 gram spinners, hehe
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    There is a one hand fly rod somewhere out ther ein the shed... i try using it every year, fail miserably and go back to my UL rod and 3 gram spinners, hehe
    I should have said in the last post, thanks for the offer UL rod ? what do you use ?