Thread: Optimus Nova

Optimus Nova

So I went in to town to the new XXL store (5000m2 of sports and outdoors equipment) to get a replacement for my worn out Trangia 27 storm kitchen frying pan.
    And came out of there with an Optimus Nova multifuel burner with a Trangia conversion kit. (shoot me pelase!!) :-p

I have been drooling at a set up like that. The Trangia X2 multifuel burner by Trangia is around £139 purchase here in Norway. The Optimus Nova is just slightly less pricey at 129US$.
    But Trangia sells a conversion kit for the Optimus Nova, and the Optimus Nova + for 4$ :-)

With a Optimus Nova and the conversion kit I get a stove that I can use separately on solo trips in its original configuration, and convert it for use with the Trangia set when cooking for the familly :-)

Tested both configurations on the porch. And it works great. Making the conversion is just a question of removing the fuel hose and fuel control valve (in order to get the burner out of the pot stand the control valve must be removed), with the supplied multi- tool from the Nova set. And installing the conversion kit, which is a cup to hold the burner, that fits int he Trangia pot stand/ wind screen.

My trangia set is quite old, so I needed to widen the hole to get the connector for the hose trough, but that was like 3 minutes with a round file :-)
    I used denatured alcohol to pre- heat the stove, and fired it up with kerosene based charcoal ligther fuel (cheap, and clean burning), and the flame was perfect. No yellows.
    The simmer control is not quite up to the standards of my trusty old Optimus 111, but seem to work okay enough, and is worlds better than my old Go-systems stove.
    It has two controll valves, on on the burner unit, and one on the hose near the bottle end. The bottle end controll valve is more or less just on or off, so use the one on the burner for simmer control
    I'll be back with a propper users review after the summer, and and again after the winter season next spring, hehe.

Here is pics:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Naust-instagram.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	13861Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Naust-instagram-2.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	13862Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Naust-instagram-5.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	13863Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Naust-instagram-6.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	13864Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Naust-instagram-7.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	13865Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Naust-instagram-8.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	13866Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Naust-instagram-10.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	13867
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Nice set up, I think you may have a problem though

I think you're a shopaholic

I have the old and new Nova stoves, both great to use but run better IMHO on paraffin/kerosene, perfect in a Trangia set.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Quote Originally Posted by bopdude View Post

I think you're a shopaholic
    I know I am...
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

The charcoal lighetr fluid I buy is parafine based, so it burns just as good as parafine, with less smell :-)
    I have used it in my stoves for 5 years now :-)
    (Roald Amundsen)

Yes it really worked well in the Trangia. An when the original Trangia multifuel burner was almost the same price, it was a no brainer to get the Nova with the conversion kit, and get a more versatile system.
    No3w I can us ethe Nova as a stand alone burner in original configuration for solo trips. Or in the trangia for familly cooking when the clan comes along, or car camping.
    (Roald Amundsen)

BBQ lighter fluid is paraffin and these days cheaper per litre the 'real' paraffin.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

I pay around 2£ per litre for it.
    White gas is 7£ a litre here, and only sold in acouple of shops where they sell stoves.

Parrafine at the pump is 1£ a litre, but that smelles and is very dirty...or maybe perhaps not as I have not used that type since I was in Africa...hehe
    Buit its only sold at a few gas stations so it becomes a chore to get it.

Parafine based charcoal lighter fluid is available in almost every supermarket, and I do not use much, perhaps a litre eor two all summer...if not spent on the barbecue, lol
    It is also burning quite clean, and wioth little smell compared to regular parafine.
    (Roald Amundsen)

I speak to several guys from Norway and they have no problem getting Alkylate fuel in the UK its http://www.aspenfuel.co.uk/products/...kylate-petrol/

Very pure, very clean burning. I can no longer get out for trips due to health problems so I guess the @10L I have will last me out LOL.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Yes if I plan it a bit, I.e rememember to drop by a sporting goods outlet, and places that sells grassmower and boat motors, during opening hours (closed on sundays, close early on saturdays) I can buy it, no problem. There are like 3-4 places in town. It is also sold in some gas stations, her ein town I think it is only Circle K that has it.
    But charcoal ligher fluid I can buy in every gas station 24/7 and every supermarket 0700-2300, the nearest 300 meter from the house.

In smaller villages there may be no place that sells Alkylate it at all, so you have to go into the nearest town, miles away to get it. And it is expensive like hell too. That Aspen fuel you link to is £20 for a 4 litre can...4 litres of charcoal ligher fuel will cost me £6, is safer to use and meets all my requirements, with the only downside that I have to bring a small amount of denatured alcohol to preheat the stove if I want to avoid sooting.

Charcoal ligher fuel is simply easier to find...specially if I am at some place I am not familiar with. Just go to the supermarket or gas station and they will have it. Alkylate it is not as easy to find. You sort of have to know who will have it locally and it is not even sold in all gas stations. Butane gas canaisters are actually eaiser to find that that stuff...
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 05-05-2017 at 11:54 PM.
    (Roald Amundsen)