Thread: Start 'em Young...

Start 'em Young...

Buffalo, shotguns and quad bikes – at school

Children taught to shoot clay pigeons as well as dissecting real dead pigeons. Nine year olds skinning rabbits and water buffalo roaming the school’s marshland. Not Hogwart’s, run by Bear Grylls, but a day in the life of one state primary school in the middle of a council estate in Eastbourne.

https://www.channel4.com/news/buffal...ikes-at-school
    Last edited by happybonzo; 06-04-2017 at 11:29 AM. Reason: fat finger typing
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by happybonzo View Post
    Buffalo, shotguns and quad bikes – at school

Children taught to shoot clay pigeons as well as dissecting real dead pigeons. Nine year olds skinning rabbits and water buffalo roaming the school’s marshland. Not Hogwart’s, run by Bear Grylls, but a day in the life of one state primary school in the middle of a council estate in Eastbourne.

https://www.channel4.com/news/buffal...ikes-at-school
    Here in Norway, sharp shooting is now an optional school subject.
    https://translate.google.com/transla...%2F&edit-text=
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Alone in the Wilderness
    Fantastic

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chriswebb2020 View Post
    Fantastic

Yes, it was optional school subjects like these that got me trough elementary school. In 9th grade a spent 1 school day a week as a "member" of Hunter Platoon, 3rd Infantry battalion, Brigade North, 6th division of the Norwegian Army...well, they gave me an ill fitting uniform and let me tag allong at whatever they where doing that wednesday. Hunter plt. was the batalions recon platoon. So I learned how to make improvised stuff that goes bang, and how to use it to destroy stuff, I spent many days on the shooting range firing G3 battle rifles...and how to maintain them. I flew with them into the mountains in helicopters....they where dropped off, I flew back with the heli (hehe he), I learned how to get from a landing craft, into a storm boat that delivered us at a fishing vessel that we boarded at full speed etc.

And that was when I was 15 years of age. ANd it got me trough a school system that I had no motivation for completing, with reasonable good grades, as the batallion commander that alowed med to do this had one condition....if I skipped school once...I was out. And what boy at age 15 would want to miss doing all the fun and exciting stuff they do in the army, and none of the boring....hehe
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 07-04-2017 at 09:38 PM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Alone in the Wilderness
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Yes, it was optional school subjects like these that got me trough elementary school. In 9th grade a spent 1 school day a week as a "member" of Hunter Platoon, 3rd Infantry battalion, Brigade North, 6th division of the Norwegian Army...well, they gave me an ill fitting uniform and let me tag allong at whatever they where doing that wednesday. Hunter plt. was the batalions recon platoon. So I learned how to make improvised stuff that goes bang, and how to use it to destroy stuff, I spent many days on the shooting range firing G3 battle rifles...and how to maintain them. I flew with them into the mountains in helicopters....they where dropped off, I flew back with the heli (hehe he), I learned how to get from a landing craft, into a storm boat that delivered us at a fishing vessel that we boarded at full speed etc.

And that was when I was 15 years of age. ANd it got me trough a school system that I had no motivation for completing, with reasonable good grades, as the batallion commander that alowed med to do this had one condition....if I skipped school once...I was out. And what boy at age 15 would want to miss doing all the fun and exciting stuff they do in the army, and none of the boring....hehe
    Now that's an education

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    It's definitely a good idea.

I think in fact the current curriculum is changing positively as there are more and more outdoor activities , forest schools , and school allotments where kids and teachers muck in , come rain or sunshine .

Good for the soul , brain food as they say!

Long may it last !👍👍