Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hexamine tablets wont burn

Quote Originally Posted by bopdude View Post
    I know what you mean about burnt lips, I now carry a Swedish folding cup, and my Trangia is getting used more, bomb proof
    Those are nice. In the army we called it a scrounging cup. Everyone always had one in the pocket, and if someone had a brew going, they very well had to be prepared to share or fight, lol

I have several of them, and keep one in very kit i case I forget my kuksa. :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Those are nice. In the army we called it a scrounging cup. Everyone always had one in the pocket, and if someone had a brew going, they very well had to be prepared to share or fight, lol

I have several of them, and keep one in very kit i case I forget my kuksa. :-)
    They are handy to carry in a pocket, as you say, in case of a nice kuksa is on my list of to buy things but I would like a half decent one, something of beauty and function, you know what I mean, there were some beauties in Sweden but out of my price range.

A bit of electrical insulation tape around the outside of the cup just below the rim will generally stop your bottom lip from burning - obviously you can't "boil in the cup" like this.

I used to carry lighter fluid to light my hexi blocks. A little squirt onto the block and then light it. I'm not sure if it would work with the blocks coming straight from Rune's shed though.

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

The electrical tape idea does not strike a man with ten thumbs like something I want to faff about with...specially not with a cup full of boiling water... :-)
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

The electrical tape idea does not strike a man with ten thumbs like something I want to faff about with...specially not with a cup full of boiling water... :-)
    Ha ha! I put some on my tin mug about 20 years ago and it's still there. Best applied whilst the cup is empty!
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehecatl View Post
    obviously you can't "boil in the cup" like this.

M@
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehecatl View Post
    Best applied whilst the cup is empty!
    Ehem...and how should I boil my water after applying the tape?
    (Roald Amundsen)

Ehem...and how should I boil my water after applying the tape?
    Consider the taped cup as your "scrounging cup"

But then I need to bring another cooking thingy to boil the water...so I might as well just briung that...a propper tea kettle, and drink from my Kuksa :-)
    (Roald Amundsen)

But then I need to bring another cooking thingy to boil the water...so I might as well just briung that...a propper tea kettle, and drink from my Kuksa :-)
    Lateral thinking would dictate that water is in fact boiled in your mug and prior to drinking, the tape is applied to your bottom lip. In this instance, I think lateral thinking must be abandoned.

Yes, I'll go for the tea kettle...

In fact I like them so much that while most bushcrafters seem to go for the one pot to cook them all idea,
    I do the same with my kettle. It has obvious advantages...unlike lets say a typical bushcraft fashion item like a zebra billy can (which in reality is a Thai lunch box),
    it has a spout which makes it possible to pour water from it without scolding your hands.

And it has a large enough lid that should you decide to cook your morning porridge in it, or a stew...it is easy to clean afterwards...and it can hold a folding cup, sugar, tea, instant chockolate, salt, pepper etc,
    even a trangia stove with pot stand inside. :-)
    (Roald Amundsen)