Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hexamine tablets wont burn

Hexamine tablets wont burn

I tried making myself a brew on the hexamine burner (Esbit clone)...no go.

The hexamine tablets simply refused to burn. After trying half a pack of matches, I tried with the bic lighter...nope.
    I built a small fire on top of the hexamine tablets, using the spent matches, and lit those...nope.
    I put a fist sized lump of balled upp newspaper on top of it...it burned away...but the hexamine did not catch fire.
    I even poured denatured alcohol on it, and it burned out, without lighting the hexamine...

Glad this was in my front yard, and not out in the woods, as that would have been boring!
    Anyone encountered this before?
    And for the record, the heaximine was from an unoppened, still wrapped in plastic pack that has been sitting in the shed for 2-3 years...
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 23-03-2017 at 12:46 PM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Never heard of that before ? What happens if you break it in 2, will the broken end light ?

I guess even if unopened the more volatile molecules will be lost. But weird that the remaining mass won't burn with that much help.

Since the pack of hexamine had been sitting in the shed, and it is -5 outside, I brought it inside for a few hours, and tried again.
    After a minute of sitting in the direct flame of a Bic lighter, it finally ignited...

I'll be chucking this lot, as I don't want to be cought with it as the only means of getting a brew out in the woods on a windy, rainy day...

Probly get another Trangia clone off ebay to replace the hexamine cooker in this set.
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Did not try that, but these are very solid blocks, and so small it would be difficult to do that. Would probably have to use a knife to split them.
    It's just not worth the hazzle. ANd this is the only brand I have seen available locally. I do not want to order from ebay every time I want fuel for that burner, lol
    (Roald Amundsen)

Just thinking that the wax coating may have been solid cold, to cold maybe, just a thought.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Scraped off the wax coating, and left it as a powder on top, and lit it. It lit up after 10 seconds in direct flame, fizled and spat, and then died after 20 seconds...without igniting the rest of the fuel.
    I think the wax coating was the onlything that burned during my previous attempt as well, as I was holding it in my hand, I blew it out after 10 seconds of burning....
    (Roald Amundsen)

Oh well, as you say, at least you were not out in the field, do you carry a spare means of cooking when out and about ?

Hehe, I have used this stove twice since I got it 2-3 years ago. I usallay carry a Trangia type stove with a different cook set, or a wood gas stove with another set (but this is up for revision as I am to lazy to constantly sit there and feed it). This set I just made for fun, but did not find it very practical. It was all hyped up on webistes like thios and ammong the youtube crowd. Still is :-)

I.e a millitary stainless steel canteen cup, with some kind of stove to heat water for a brew. I found that you still needed an extra cup as the steel gets hot and you risk burning your lips.
    So I went back to bringing a small tea kettle and the trangia stove, as that suited me better.
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Hehe, I have used this stove twice since I got it 2-3 years ago. I usallay carry a Trangia type stove with a different cook set, or a wood gas stove with another set (but this is up for revision as I am to lazy to constantly sit there and feed it). This set I just made for fun, but did not find it very practical. It was all hyped up on webistes like thios and ammong the youtube crowd. Still is :-)

I.e a millitary stainless steel canteen cup, with some kind of stove to heat water for a brew. I found that you still needed an extra cup as the steel gets hot and you risk burning your lips.
    So I went back to bringing a small tea kettle and the trangia stove, as that suited me better.
    I know what you mean about burnt lips, I now carry a Swedish folding cup, and my Trangia is getting used more, bomb proof