Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Hexamine tablets wont burn

Thanks but i prefer to drink form my kuksa, and use a proper tea kettle anyway :-)
    But that GI canteen system of mine I'll probably give to the runt when gets just a tad older.
    He is a outdoors kid to the core that one, unlike his brothers.

One would grumpily tag along, and just "take it" until it was "finally" time to go home. He was always an indoors kid, few but close, good friends and can spend a week in front of the computer.

The other would come because we all went, make the best of it, when out there, but would never suggest going, or take thge inititive to do it I think...maybe when i he grown up and have a familly. He has tons of friends and likes to just hang out with them, like most teenagers.

But the runt...if allowed would spend 24/7 outdoors, year round, and loves to learn new stuff :-)
    Well he is six tuirning 7 in september so I do my best to keep him that way...and he wants to go with me on my walks, unlike the other two who had to be cattle prodded, lol
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    I find those rubber wristbands that you get from various charities such as help for heroes etc. are a perfect fit around the rim of a hot steel mug.
    That solves the lip burn thing ...😀

Alone in the Wilderness
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Hehe, I have used this stove twice since I got it 2-3 years ago. I usallay carry a Trangia type stove with a different cook set, or a wood gas stove with another set (but this is up for revision as I am to lazy to constantly sit there and feed it). This set I just made for fun, but did not find it very practical. It was all hyped up on webistes like thios and ammong the youtube crowd. Still is :-)

I.e a millitary stainless steel canteen cup, with some kind of stove to heat water for a brew. I found that you still needed an extra cup as the steel gets hot and you risk burning your lips.
    So I went back to bringing a small tea kettle and the trangia stove, as that suited me better.
    may i suggest dragon fuel from bcb (solid fuel works quite well and will light from a ferro rod

Thanks for the tip, but as I am in Norway, so that does not exist here :-)
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Stick with Rodsprit FF.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    Stick with Rodsprit FF.
    That's what I do :-)
    (Roald Amundsen)

Alone in the Wilderness Fallschirmwomble's Avatar

Food For Thought (Pardon the pun)

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    I had a nice summer with mine...but had to suffer endelss ridicule from my wife, who do not give two whistles about bushcraft.
    She is a Thai farm girl, from way out in the sticks in rural Thailand, and had a fire built and food cooked before I could bring my brew to boil...
    What's her sense of humour like?

I'm just wondering if she switched your hexi for some Kendall Mint cake...

An old prank in the British Army was to keep the wrapper of a Kendall Mint Cake bar and cut down a hexi block to fit. Then offer it to a colleague. This thread has given me the idea of reversing that joke on my mate - who's always been top-notch at making fires in all conditions...

FW
    MMXIII