Thread: Casstrom No.10 Swedish Forest Knife

Casstrom No.10 Swedish Forest Knife

Does anyone have any experience of this company? Are the knives any good?
    All it is required for is every day chopping and cutting
    So, does it hold an edge and does it create a spark with a decent Firesteel?

https://www.ronniesunshines.com/cass...-knife-micarta

I had a Helle Temagami in carbon steel and liked it very much - unfortunately so did some one else...
    Last edited by happybonzo; 22-03-2017 at 04:59 PM. Reason: fat finger typing
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

While i have heard of the company, I have never seen any of their products. They are more like a distributor of different brands, and produce little themselves. Knives is an exception.
    I allmost ordered this one, but held back as I wanted a scandi griond to zero. This one has a micro bevel. But these days I am capable of fixing that myself so that would not stop me.
    WHat the quallity is like, I cant tell you, but I guess it is probably no worse or better than any other full tang knife in O2 tool steel in that price bracket.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

I have one with a green Micarta handle and brown sheath and an extra belt 'dangler'. I've been really impressed with it so far, having gone for carbon steel version. It does hold a really good edge and I've only needed to run it over a strop once or twice. It has a really nice weight and feel to it although I do find that the blade is perhaps a little bit too thick for certain delicate jobs. For the price though I don't think you will go far wrong.

Only my dog can judge me

As long as it produces a shower of sparks like a meteor storm I shall be a happy bear
    I'd forgotten that stainless steel is less than perfect and my Helle folder didn't produce a single spark.. I didn't have a striker with me so no cup of tea for the dog and Moi. - didn't have a Lighter with me and nearly set the Tractor on fire trying to get a spark by shorting out the battery
    Really a case of P**s Poor Planning etc
    Only my dog can judge me

Any straight edge that is harder than the ferro rod will produce sparks from a ferro rod. You can even use a sharp stone, or a piece of glass...if the steel is stainless or carbon has got nothing to to with it.

Last edited by FishyFolk; 25-03-2017 at 08:14 AM.
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Quote Originally Posted by happybonzo View Post
    As long as it produces a shower of sparks like a meteor storm I shall be a happy bear
    I'd forgotten that stainless steel is less than perfect and my Helle folder didn't produce a single spark.. I didn't have a striker with me so no cup of tea for the dog and Moi. - didn't have a Lighter with me and nearly set the Tractor on fire trying to get a spark by shorting out the battery
    Really a case of P**s Poor Planning etc
    Do you mean to strike flint with your stainless knife ?
    I think the stainless composition is lower in carbon than 01 or similar steels , so that would explain the struggle...

Surely any steel will spark a ferro rod like the Guy Fawkes fireworks!

Just need a sharp angle.

I have a stainless mora and that lights the ferro rod from the spine no problem....

But i might have misunderstood this...

Apologies if so.

The Helle was useless . I tried the Firesteel on an old Mora when I returned and it worked brilliantly

Tried explaining to the Dog as to why he wasn't getting his mid-day Cuppa but he was not impressed...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A cup of Tea.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	13836

- in happier times

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11233543_366072663601890_5052451813444392342_n.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	13837
    Last edited by happybonzo; 27-03-2017 at 06:53 AM. Reason: fat finger typing
    Only my dog can judge me

The helle knives have a slightly rounded edge on the spine, that is what makes them useless for ferro rods. Just like my Mora 711, that does not even have a finish on the spine.You have to have a go at it with a file to make it work with a ferro rod. So the issue is with knife design, not the steel. Remmeber that most of the Helle designs was created long before Ferro rods became all the rage. But then a Helle is just a posh Mora anyway, lol
    (Roald Amundsen)