Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am tempted

I am tempted

I just may drop by XXL an get this one today. A Brusletto Bamsen.

On sale for NOK399 - 38£, it would allmost be rude not to, as the normal prise is £80 -£100, and I have always wanted one.

They are rock solid knives. And to my envy, my best mate had one when we grew up. The reason for the envy? IHe could throw that knife and it would always stick in a tree...while my kids Leuku, would eitehr hit handle first, or just hit the tree and fall off...important things o to consider at age 11.

Needless to say the desigfn has been around for ages. The blade itself is 12,5cm of stainless carbon steel. Olive tree or curly birch handle, bolster and butt from solid alumium, ox hide sheath, with edge protection.

I lack a knife in this length. That is I have the Mora 2000 in that blade length, but my wife and the kids have taken a shine to it as a kitchen knife, and destroys the edge on a regular basis, so I kneed something they wont pilfer!

We'll see, I have been so often to that place with the intention to buy some shiny new kit...and changed my mind in the shop, as these days I am reluctant to buy if I do not really, really need it. But I might get it just to keep, and give to my own kid once he turns 10 or so... :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bamsenoliven_t4.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	13834
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 13-03-2017 at 05:51 AM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

That looks a cracking deal, I'm off to see if they ship to uk, I'll take one if they do, off to crank that pc up

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bopdude; 13-03-2017 at 07:04 AM.

They are very popular ammong outdoors people here in Norway. But be aware that I have seen broken ones. Always owned by kids who try to smash them trough a knotty piece of wood....they are rat tail or stick tang. But if you use it like a knife it should serve you for a life time. Here I think they are mostly used by people to gut trout, make barbecue spits for hot dogs, and slicing open hot dog packs, lol, which si what most people use a knife for when out inthe woods with the kids...
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Ok I am off to havce a look at them :-)
    (Roald Amundsen)

And the offer hat ended, replaced with one where the price was now 549NOK.

So I backed off. Still a good offer for the knife though.
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    And the offer hat ended, replaced with one where the price was now 549NOK.

So I backed off. Still a good offer for the knife though.

That's the offer I could see but you're comment about the tang put me off anyway

Thanks for the heads up though

Quote Originally Posted by bopdude View Post
    That's the offer I could see but you're comment about the tang put me off anyway

Thanks for the heads up though
    Very few Nordic knives are full tang. And all the broken ones I have seen have been from blatant mis-sue of a perfectly good knife, like hammering them trough a knotty piece of lumber
    with a stone...
    Producers like Helle and Brusletto just recently started making some full tang models, for sale on the foreign "bushcraft" market, and I have never seen these
    on sale in a shop here, except the Helle Tamagami which I saw in the Helle dispalay case at the supermarket today :-).

ANyway, I think I will go for a short Leuku design knife instead of a Puukko type knife next time I buy one, just to compliment my current one.
    That Enzo Trapper of mine has to be replaced by something that is comfortable to use...but it can't be something very expensive either...but know and then thinsg are on sale, and I can wait...the Mora will do for know.
    (Roald Amundsen)

Very few Nordic knives are full tang. And all the broken ones I have seen have been from blatant mis-sue of a perfectly good knife, like hammering them trough a knotty piece of lumber
    with a stone...
    Producers like Helle and Brusletto just recently started making some full tang models, for sale on the foreign "bushcraft" market, and I have never seen these
    on sale in a shop here, except the Helle Tamagami which I saw in the Helle dispalay case at the supermarket today :-).

ANyway, I think I will go for a short Leuku design knife instead of a Puukko type knife next time I buy one, just to compliment my current one.
    That Enzo Trapper of mine has to be replaced by something that is comfortable to use...but it can't be something very expensive either...but know and then thinsg are on sale, and I can wait...the Mora will do for know.
    LOL, our search continues, as always for the next shiny 'thing'

Quote Originally Posted by bopdude View Post
    LOL, our search continues, as always for the next shiny 'thing'
    Off course. XXL had their spring sale on today. Luckilly it was all just clothes, as that place has 5000 square meters of sports and outdoors junk.
    I did look at stoves and was after a non-stick frying pan for my Trangia, but that was not on sale...so I managed to crawl out of there with my debit card secured in my pocket...lol
    (Roald Amundsen)

Off course. XXL had their spring sale on today. Luckilly it was all just clothes, as that place has 5000 square meters of sports and outdoors junk.
    I did look at stoves and was after a non-stick frying pan for my Trangia, but that was not on sale...so I managed to crawl out of there with my debit card secured in my pocket...lol
    You're not doing it right, now get back in there and spend seriously though, is there such a thing a a non stick packable ( lastable ) frying pan ? my one is getting worse

EDIT : Lightweight