Thread: Greetings from the west pennines

Hobo

Greetings from the west pennines

Hi everyone I hope I find you well!
    I've been into hiking/camping for a few years now and I've just moved to a new (yet familiar) area and thought I would try and see who else has this as a hobby.
    I love getting out and about but it can be a lone journey sometimes as the outdoors and bushcraft aren't everyone's idea of a good night out.
    I wouldn't mind meeting some like-minded people to share some outdoor experiences with.
    Does anyone else struggle to stay on the right side of the law as it feels like your not at all free to just find a nice spot and spend a night under the stars? I came from the Leeds area and used to camp in a YWT reserve but I used to ask permission to go there! You would think that with the big push to be fit and healthy you would be encouraged to hit the paths less trodden.

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." - Confucius.

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    Greetings from Wiltshire birch fire!
    I agree with your sentiments, we all have had this problem one time or another, unfortunately too many Fairweather bushwackers get out there and have no respect or consideration for the great outdoors.
    Leave fire scars , break saplings and wreck havoc with the trees and brushwood... and sometimes even leave all their rubbish behind. 😬
    Consequently and no doubt regrettably , it has become an avoided sticky subject , especially on an open forum.

Your best bet is to find potential spots , inform yourself who owns them and ask permission .
    You'l be surprised at the response ...

Or the other way around, find your local scouts and forest schools , outdoor centres , lumber woodland (not used for pheasants) , and go about asking them for permission.
    Even some farmers will allow you , providing you've asked permission before and announce the dates you'd like to camp.
    After the consent, buy the guy a nice bottle of wine or volunteer some of your free time to help out with anything...
    You will be welcome again and again ....

Just leave no trace and ask first , everytime.

It works for me 👍

Hobo
    Thanks for the wise words Woody! Yeah it is true that it is best to cultivate relationships with land owners if you can. That is how I did most of my camping last year and used to help manage the land.

Hello and welcome,

M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Hello, and Welcome to the forum.

Alone in the Wilderness
    Welcome aboard

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk