Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginners kit list - correction request

Hobo
    Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    With regards to the lighting situation, have you considered one of these?

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/lighting/TC101.html

There are quite a few folks on this forum that use them, personally I will hang mine from the end of the tarp ridge line or on a guy line when tenting, and the light they give out is perfectly adequate. Various accessories are also available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    This may be exactly what I was looking for. On one hand, I wanted something glowing all around, not in only one direction, and also something I can hang or put anywhere (like storm lantern). On the other hand, something I can just throw into the backpack and go. With storm lantern I would need to check if its empty, secure it and so on. This seems a bit more sturdy. I will surely look further, cause I really hate to use a torch. When the fire is cracking, I'm laying down after a nice meal, want to read a bit and BOOM a huge bunch of super bright white light is like walking around with headphones listening to music in the forest.

EDIT: Found it!

https://eur.heinnie.com/uco-original-candle-lantern

Exactly what I was looking for. Great middle point between oil lantern and flashlight. Can also be used to easily carry fire to another place if theres a need for it. Will have to ship it internationally which I hate to do, but still hate it less than torchlight :P
    Last edited by Lonewolf44; 29-01-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf44 View Post
    Sleeping system:
    1. Tarp (DD Hammocks Superlight)
    2. Foam mat (Any will do I guess)
    3. Snugpak Navigator - right now I have McKinley Laguna (mummy, +8 to +3 degrees comfort zone). Its very cheap but maybe it will do? Or is there a need for better sleeping bag?
    2 Foam mat. If you get a sleeping mat, check that it is "sealed cell" (I think most are these days). If not, it will soak up water which you do not want. I'd certainly avoid foam itself - it would be a great big sponge!
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Hobo
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehecatl View Post
    2 Foam mat. If you get a sleeping mat, check that it is "sealed cell" (I think most are these days). If not, it will soak up water which you do not want. I'd certainly avoid foam itself - it would be a great big sponge!
    I've got mine for 12$ in local InterSport shop and its waterproof. I think Ill switch to Snugpak Travelite self-inflatable mat when I will have some spare cash anyways.

By the way, I just realized that the candle lantern i've linked before has a thick neoprene cover, You just slide it on from both sides to protect it from shattering and scratching. What a time to be alive.

I had some spare time today (actually I didn't, should be studying for all the exams right now but I'm watching MCQBushcraft all day long lol) and reorganized my list with describing where particularly I will carry it all. I have some mental disorder of planning and organizing stuff to a ridiculous extent I guess, but yeah, here it is:

Body:
    [Feet] Hiking boots (???)
    [Full] Clothing
    [Belt] Knife (Helle Gaupe)
    [Belt] Fire tin (Tinder & Aurora Firesteel)
    [Belt] Water bottle (Wildo Hiker)
    [Neck] Whistle (Vargo Lanyard)
    [Pockets] Compass (Marbles)
    [Pockets] Field journal (Rite in The Rain & Pencil)
    [Back] Backpack (Karrimor Sabre 45)

Backpack (in order of packing):
    [Main] Sleeping bag (Snugpak Navigator)
    [Main] Clothing (Additional set)
    [Main] Supplies (Food, water & trashbags)
    [Main] Cooking kit (Pathfinder)
    [Main] Candle lantern (UCO)
    [Main] Tarp (Snugpak All-Weather Shelter)
    [Main] Paracord (30m)
    [Mesh Pocket] Phone
    [Mesh Pocket] Hygiene kit (Soap, toothbrush & paste)
    [Mesh Pocket] First aid kit
    [Lid Pocket] Raincoat (???)
    [Attachment] Axe (Hultafors Classic Hunter)
    [Attachment] Mat (Snugpak Travelite)

This is sick. But I'm satisfied

only my opinion, but I wouldn't pack my sleeping bag under my clothes, I would put my spare clothes in first with my sleep system next, then my food pack in a separate bag with my tarp and shelter over or on the top, all brew kit and tools/extras should be easy access and in separate pouches if possible, same as your water, keep it away from your dry kit in case of leakage, it also needs to be easy access in case you stop for a quick brew along the way ;-)

only my opinion, its how I pack my gear, and I'm aware its a personal issue I have had many a chat about!

Adam
    The Only Possible Guarantee Of The Future Is Responsible Behaviour In The Present

Hobo
    I have limited options as I use Karrimor Sabre 45 with one main compartment and 2 separate lid pockets. I like bucket-like backpacks. So I was planning the packing order in terms of accessibility. I will of course have a sweatshirt somewhere in the upper part to quickly put on in case if it would get colder to not pack everything out. If there would be a need for full change (being soaked) I it would occur after full camp placement anyway. So it doesn't really matter if sleeping bag or clothes go first, I will only reach that level of backpack when I will be doing a full camp. Cooking kit, candle lantern, tarp and paracord will be on top of main compartment, so I will have access to all 4 of them just after opening the lid. And clothes will be put in a dry bag in case of leakage. So in my opinion I have pretty quick access to everything apart of sleeping system and spare clothes will be only used for full camp anyway. Thanks for advice!

I got some cheap water proof bags on ebay. Have not soak tested them but I guess they will at least protect from a couple of hours of rain...
    But their main function for me is to separate my kits.
    I'e dry clothes in one, with an extra for wet clothes if I cant dry them there and then. Another one for my food, a 3rf for batterie4s and everything you put them in etc. All in differnet colors so that I can just pull out the righjt bag and find what I need. And the bags are in differnet sizes as well, with a huge one I use as a liner inside.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Hobo
    I will for sure take care of dry bags, especially like You said to separate stuff (cause the first goal is to not get soaked to start with) but right now I need to tend to more essential stuff like my knife. I did search even more, and didn't find anything even close to knife I want in that price range. The thing is, Im starting to see more and more negative reviews about Helle quality control. People complain about buying bent or chipped knifes and not getting a refund (or another broke knife in refund). I will look into the matter more and either buy Helle Gaupe, or if it will appear risky, I'll ask one of my fellow knife makers to create something similar.

Just sprained my ankle yesterday, torn all the stuff inside, but a good bush crafter can turn anything into profit - they gave me some quite strong prescription painkillers that I will put into my first aid kit

In the UK keeping dry + warm is more critical than your knife. I suspect the same is true in Poland.
    If you are experiencing exposure/ hypothermia you won't be able to use a Knife effectively - and exposure can impact you in conditions that aren't extreme- check it out. You don't have to be in the mountains to experience exposure - http://www.llanberismountainrescue.c...ws/hypothermia
    Get some dry bags to store a change of clothing, hat etc.

How about one of these - but using the 8 hour version of the tealights/night lights............. I use them in my campervan rather than the full size candle lantern

https://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mou...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Last edited by Peaks; 31-01-2017 at 09:44 PM.

An even cheaper alternative to dry bags............https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Rubble.../dp/B0058HARFS

Hobo
    Im aware of all the stuff You said - I didn't say I won't buy dry bags, but Im collecting kit from scratch (right now I have just backpack, mat and sleeping bag) so I won't buy them now as I have no idea how much each kit part will take to pick the right bags. Same with clothes. I will need a knife anyway, and Im getting a decent custom one from my friend so I can focus on further stuff.

I saw the small lamp, but I'm perfectly cool with bigger version and I just like it in overalls. Wont weigh me down that much and it will fit into backpack no problem.