Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beginners kit list - correction request

Fair enough....enjoy your experiences. Every trip our provides lessons and learning

Hobo
    Thanks for Your advice Peaks!

Laying down with that sprained ankle I have tons of time to watch bushcraft videos and think further, so here's what I came up with - I will probably drop cooking set and water bottles, and get a "camelback" and billycan instead of that. Im definitely more "classic trapper" guy than "modern fancy military" guy, but it just seems more practical. Without it, I will need to carry water bottles (more stuff in backpack, more disorganized, and carrying trash after they're empty), a water bottle on my belt to not stop every time I need a drink, and 2 separate stainless containers to be able to cook water and prepare food in the same time. With huge billy can, I could cook like 1.5 liters of water after my meal, put it into the camelback and be off. No trash, less stuff flying around in backpack, and less weight of course. What You guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf44 View Post
    I will for sure take care of dry bags, especially like You said to separate stuff (cause the first goal is to not get soaked to start with) but right now I need to tend to more essential stuff like my knife. I did search even more, and didn't find anything even close to knife I want in that price range. The thing is, I'm starting to see more and more negative reviews about Helle quality control. People complain about buying bent or chipped knifes and not getting a refund (or another broke knife in refund). I will look into the matter more and either buy Helle Gaupe, or if it will appear risky, I'll ask one of my fellow knife makers to create something similar.

Just sprained my ankle yesterday, torn all the stuff inside, but a good bush crafter can turn anything into profit - they gave me some quite strong prescription painkillers that I will put into my first aid kit
    As a Norwegian I am sorry about the experience with Helle. Here in Norway you find a display case of those knives in every store where outdoors kit is sold. So if you buy a duff knife you just go and change it.
    But from my experience knives break when you stop treating it as a knife and start using it as a sharpened crowbar or a chisel...90% of Helles line of knives are not survival or even so called bushcraft knives. They are whitling, fishing and hunting knives, and not built for people are putting them trough. As for quallity...what they actually are is Mora knives with wooden handles, and a nicer sheath.

Anyway, I am pretty sure your knife will outlast you, if you use it as a knife. But if you worry about it, bring a spare...like a Mora 911.

Hope your ancle heals quickly
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Thanks for Your advice Peaks!

Laying down with that sprained ankle I have tons of time to watch bushcraft videos and think further, so here's what I came up with - I will probably drop cooking set and water bottles, and get a "camelback" and billycan instead of that. Im definitely more "classic trapper" guy than "modern fancy military" guy, but it just seems more practical. Without it, I will need to carry water bottles (more stuff in backpack, more disorganized, and carrying trash after they're empty), a water bottle on my belt to not stop every time I need a drink, and 2 separate stainless containers to be able to cook water and prepare food in the same time. With huge billy can, I could cook like 1.5 liters of water after my meal, put it into the camelback and be off. No trash, less stuff flying around in backpack, and less weight of course. What You guys think?
    Camelbacks are wonderfull while you hiking, but not so practical in camp. Also make sure you break it in, as the water often take a plastic taste in them when they are new.
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Hobo
    I never had a Helle knife so I can't say my experience is good or bad, I just read a lot of reviews, and 90% of time people say they had Helle knife for 12 years and its still like brand new. Just some recent issues on quality control. Helle Gaupe, with cost around 100$ would be the most expensive part of my kit, so I just couldn't afford it to be somehow not good. I need it to last a lifetime or two But my fellow craftsman agreed to make me a knife based on Helle Gaupe very much, with much better sheath and on a cost of 75$ as We are good friends. It will be more suited for my hands than a production-made one. Here are his works if You're interested, he does mostly historical reenactment stuff, but Im sure he can handle a modern knife as he did some previously:

https://www.facebook.com/SvArtcraft/?fref=ts

With the camelback, thats what everyone says to me - its problematic to pour water out of them. But I think I can sacrifice a bit of comfort to get a lot of additional storage space and get rid of plastic bottles flying around. Weight spread will be also much better, as my bottled water supply would sit somewhere in the middle of the backpack and it would not be that comfortable to carry.

I will probably have a good one time job before summer, and I have really great conditions to get into canoeing... But not everything at once, as that would require a different kit, and I'm still not halfway through collecting my basic one Right now I will pay for the knife, then all the other essential "body carried" stuff.

P.S. I dropped tinderbox, decided I will carry both whistle and fire steel on my neck, and a piece of fat wood between them to prevent metal sounds and always have a emergency tinder, but I will collect tinder on my way and dry it up in my pockets so there should be no need for it. It will look nicer though
    Last edited by Lonewolf44; 02-02-2017 at 06:49 AM.

Hobo
    Last time We were talking with @FishyFolk about clothing, and there was a problem. As good outdoor clothes are very, very expensive, the only way to avoid normal cotton garments was military surplus. However, I don't like military design, so I was in a bit of a corner, until this idea came to me: working clothes. There are tons of producers in Poland. This clothes are very sturdy, made from artificial fibers and as cheap as You can possibly get. Here is my clothing list (This list is for 1-3 days, I will add more clothes when Ill start to do longer trips):

2x thermoactive underwear (t-shirt, longjohns, socks)
    2x warm wool socks
    2x pants (65% polyester, 35% cotton)
    2x flannel shirt (100% cotton)
    1x sweatshirt (100% fleece)
    1x padded vest (100% polyester)
    1x softshell
    1x rain poncho
    -
    Boots, Belt, winter cap and baseball cap

Im taking additional set only for clothes that directly touch my skin or contain cotton. Fully artificial ones will keep me warm even if they're soaked, so they can wait for the next camp and drying under tarp.

As you are going in the summer...do you really need 2 sets of thermoacytive underwear etc. ?

It's likely that you won't need to wear it at all, so you will be carrying it on your back. And do you need that padded vest if you are going to have a softshell jacket and a fleece sweat shirt?
    That is what I wear when I am out in the winter...
    (Roald Amundsen)

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle

With the camelback, thats what everyone says to me - its problematic to pour water out of them....

What? That's the main advantage of the camelback system over others is the ease that it makes from getting water out of them...

I'll try and explain...
    Hang the bag by its top handle on a branch or similar.
    If you remove the bite valve (on the mouth piece) , you will have what is effectively a hose left in place.
    When you need to fill a cup or a pan ,
    You flip the lever on to " open" on the "hose" and just either give the bag a gentle squeeze to start with or even blow into the hose...
    Water just comes out like a tap.
    Close valve after use .
    Next time you need water no squeeze or blowing necessary, the water will just flow out...
    Never heard of any problems getting water out of them.

Hope it helps buddy...

As for Helle or friends custom knife...

I'd listen to fishy folk above and just take a spare mora anyway... Believe me , they're the workhorse that just keep on going and very inexpensive.

Hope it helps .

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post

...... take a spare mora anyway... Believe me , they're the workhorse that just keep on going and very inexpensive.

Good advice.
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.