Thread: How to choose universal hiking boots?

Hobo

How to choose universal hiking boots?

Hello everyone,

I know there is no such thing as "good for everything", but the only shoes I have in my wardrobe right now are some sneakers and moccasins. I want to buy a pair of shoes for walking in Northern Poland's forests. Mostly flat terrain, a bit of small hills, not much swamps and other damp places. I just want them to be:

1) Sturdy - they might not be the comfiest out there, but I want them to withstand a nuclear explosion
    2) Comfort - behind durability the most important thing. I know how severe injuries bad boots can bring
    3) Price - I don't need to buy the cheapest out there, but if I'm about to pay, I gotta pay for quality finish and materials, not Brand Name and stuff like that (100 pounds is absolutely maximum, but id prefer something around 60-80)
    4) Design - Im rather avoiding military looks

With that all being said, I want to walk in these boots all the time apart of winter. Maybe some people have 40 pairs of super-fancy-tactical Salomons for every celsius degree, but its not my type of kit gathering. Looking forward for any of You suggestions and if You need any more answers then Im here.

P.S. In terms of being waterproof - just the basics. I won't cross rivers with them, but I don't want my feet all damp because of stepping into some mud puddle.

P.S.2 Brasher Supalite II GTX might be close to something I look for. Just a little bit cheaper, and would be nice if I could buy them somewhere here in Poland without shipping from UK.
    Last edited by Lonewolf44; 25-01-2017 at 07:01 PM.

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    These are like putting a pair of slippers on.
    Warm , super comfortable, 100% waterproof and breathable and very durable.

https://www.jallatte.fr/en/products/...88-jalsiberien

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152158456220

I bought a new pair again this year .
    My last pair lasted over 3 years , and I live in them ....

I wish I had looked after them a bit more. Should have cleaned them and greased them more often...

Work everyday , woods at weekends and walks in rough terrain twice a day , every day.

The only thing is that when you buy your size , they come up 2 sizes too big .
    So if you're a 42 normally, order a 40 .

You would not regret your purchase .

My old ones are just for work now ...
    The new ones I'll keep conditioned and clean and they're for the walks and woods ...

Hope it helps

Hobo
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    These are like putting a pair of slippers on.
    Warm , super comfortable, 100% waterproof and breathable and very durable.

https://www.jallatte.fr/en/products/...88-jalsiberien

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152158456220

I bought a new pair again this year .
    My last pair lasted over 3 years , and I live in them ....

I wish I had looked after them a bit more. Should have cleaned them and greased them more often...

Work everyday , woods at weekends and walks in rough terrain twice a day , every day.

The only thing is that when you buy your size , they come up 2 sizes too big .
    So if you're a 42 normally, order a 40 .

You would not regret your purchase .

My old ones are just for work now ...
    The new ones I'll keep conditioned and clean and they're for the walks and woods ...

Hope it helps
    Hello, thanks for Your reply. I don't like the design that much, but looks are the last thing to consider right? You praise those boots so much that I will for sure consider them now. I think they might be my top pick for now.

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    It's a winter safety boot. I'm sorry , I should have read your post better...
    The jallatte are solid and comfortable but they're not hiking boots.

They're heavier and sturdier , and I do walk miles in them all the time but they're not hikers...

The lowa pro boots are also very good. And around same price.

You might have to change your mind on the military boots...as those seem to be the best deal as price vs quality vs comfort vs durability.

Just my opinion though.

Wait ...
    there will be other suggestions from more experienced folk ..😁👍
    Last edited by Woody; 26-01-2017 at 09:24 PM.

I have to admit that when it comes to boots I pay to get what is needed.

I can spend many days walking across open moorland, wooded areas, paths or whatever comes my way. Other times I can spend days doing little walking but need something that keeps my feet comfortable while remote supervising groups undertaking DofE but be ready to hike out at a moments notice if a situation arises. Boots are something that that need to be durable and comfortable and through experience I have found that paying less really is a false economy. I like a good boot that works for me and will do all year round. My favourite at the moment are Merrell but that could change on the next pair, depends on what else gets released.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

More and more UK hikers are moving on to good quality 'trainers', boots IMHO are well overrated. In winter boots have their place but for three season use good trainers do the job. In reality boots don't give a lot of support and are a hangover from WW2 days, plus are heavy.
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Hobo
    Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    More and more UK hikers are moving on to good quality 'trainers', boots IMHO are well overrated. In winter boots have their place but for three season use good trainers do the job. In reality boots don't give a lot of support and are a hangover from WW2 days, plus are heavy.
    I've sprained my ankle really bad yesterday, was unable to walk home so waiting for Uber driver I was thinking that if I'd sustain this kind of injury (I've fell on the side of my foot jumping through 1.5 meter plastic fence) that would be really dangerous even here in warm polish forest, as I couldn't not only walk, but even crawling or jumping on one leg was pretty hard. Now, I wouldn't be jumping fallen trees in forest as during bush crafting we walk much more carefully than everyday. But sprained ankle is still possible, right? And yes, boots wouldn't prevent it, but they could probably lessen the injury and make me able to find help with some gimping. 24 hours after injury I'm still not able to put a pound of weight on that leg and take prescription pain killers all the time, so if it would happen in the forest the rescue services would have to find me.

Plus, I do not have such a strict survival-like approach to bush crafting kit. I just like boots and their looks, and isnt it key to like what You have out there?

I will give a chance to polish brand Demar. Still thinking between those 2:

http://www.demar.com.pl/produkt,trek-m6-b
    http://www.demar.com.pl/produkt,traper-l

Alone in the Wilderness

Best hiking boots

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf44 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I know there is no such thing as "good for everything", but the only shoes I have in my wardrobe right now are some sneakers and moccasins. I want to buy a pair of shoes for walking in Northern Poland's forests. Mostly flat terrain, a bit of small hills, not much swamps and other damp places. I just want them to be:

1) Sturdy - they might not be the comfiest out there, but I want them to withstand a nuclear explosion
    2) Comfort - behind durability the most important thing. I know how severe injuries bad boots can bring
    3) Price - I don't need to buy the cheapest out there, but if I'm about to pay, I gotta pay for quality finish and materials, not Brand Name and stuff like that (100 pounds is absolutely maximum, but id prefer something around 60-80)
    4) Design - Im rather avoiding military looks

With that all being said, I want to walk in these boots all the time apart of winter. Maybe some people have 40 pairs of super-fancy-tactical Salomons for every celsius degree, but its not my type of kit gathering. Looking forward for any of You suggestions and if You need any more answers then Im here.

P.S. In terms of being waterproof - just the basics. I won't cross rivers with them, but I don't want my feet all damp because of stepping into some mud puddle.

P.S.2 Brasher Supalite II GTX might be close to something I look for. Just a little bit cheaper, and would be nice if I could buy them somewhere here in Poland without shipping from UK.

Hi lonewolf! Are you still looking for a hiking boots? If so, You can check my post here http://www.ezcalade.com/best-hiking-boots/
    . I reviewed the 5 best boots you can find in the market. All factors has been considered.