Thread: Reccomend me a good bushcraft axe

Trapper

Reccomend me a good bushcraft axe

Im looking for a good portable bushcraft axe I can fit in my bergen, any reccomendations?

Hi Law

For the record, it's "recommend" - one C and two Ms. Now that's out of the way, it'll help to know what your budget is and what you intend to do with it. Just making firewood, or do you see yourself felling small trees, clearing brush or even maybe a spot of carving?

I've had no trouble or concerns with the cheap axes I've had from car boot sales. They need more attention to get them right and to keep them sharp, but I don't break into a cold sweat when my wife takes one to chop the roots of a bush in the ground.
    The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. - Chinese Proverb

I have a Gränsfors Small Forest Axe. This fits into my pack fine, although for a quality axe that's kinder on the wallet, a Hultafors Chopping Axe may be better. As Bernie says, it may depend on what you require it for.
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

Let's not forget budget! I'd love a Gransfors, Hultafors or even a Husqvarna, but they're not exactly easy on the wallet.

Skinflints like myself tend to get what we can at car boot sales.
    The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. - Chinese Proverb

Also check out the Robin Wood axes, not badly priced at all

Since most of the folks here are in Europe, you should be able to get a hold of Swiss surplus axes. The Swiss take pride in their craftsmanship . I landed one of their surplus hatchets (with the CFL embossed logo, whatever that stands for) recently for $25 from a US distributor. They don't come sharp or well-profiled along the edge bevel. Plus, if the axe wasn't stored in an ideal environment, the wood can shrink leading to a loose axe head. Most people I know replace the handle on them anyway with something longer (20 inch) because of the relatively heavy head (1.5 lb/0.7 kg). This would be more of a project axe option. For "higher-end" axes, at least in terms of fit and finish, you are going to pay a premium. I'm not sure how much Helko axes (made in Germany) cost in the UK, but you might want to check them out. They are very well made, quality axes that come ready to go.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

I guess most axes will fit in Bergen. What will you use it for?
    There is a certain difference between chopping fire wood for the camp in the Boreal forest in winter, and chopping some sticks
    to boil some water for a brew on the hobo stove...

But for the first option, you cant go much wrong with the Hultafors felling axe. Relatively light axe, but full sized handle.
    For the latter I have one of the small wetterlings hatchets...well, have and have...my wife has adopted it, and I have not actually
    used it much. But she loves it, and she is a country girl, far more expereinced in what is ag ood tool than I am :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Between Savernake forest and Avebury stone circle
    + 1 for Robin Wood 's axe.
    Quality hand forged tool at a very affordable price.
    Shame it doesn't have a mask included.
    I think Robin Wood is selling these too now but not sure...

I think actually attending a axe skills course will give you a much better idea of what you'll need.
    And it will give you a chance to handle and try out all the different sizes and weights.
    Learning to use it is just a massive bonus ...
    👍👍
    Last edited by Woody; 10-01-2017 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    ... the CFL embossed logo, whatever that stands for...
    I don't know, but I found this on the Internet so it must be true. :P

CFL: Commission Fédérale du Logement (French: Federal Housing Commission; Switzerland)

Hey there,

I have a Hultafors Trekking Axe and never had any problems with it. The cheapest place I have found is here. - http://www.mytoolshed.co.uk/p1014841...duct_info.html

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
    "Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." - Confucius.