Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you hang?

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar

How do you hang?

I just love hanging out in my hammock, and being an avid hammock fan, know of at least a dozen modifications/methods of sleeping in one. So I'd thought I'd ask the question, whats your favourite set-up and how do you like to hang it.

To start everyone off.

I have a simple double layer hammock with a home made bugnet and I like to sling it off of a single line suspension.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S5001614.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	26Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAGE_019.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	27Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAGE_017.jpg 
Views:	455 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	28Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAGE_072.jpg 
Views:	398 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	29Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAGE_006.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	30
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

I use a Warbonnet Blackbird hammock suspended on whoopie slings, a Warbonnet Superfly tarp with doors and a Snugfit underblanket.

I'll get some piccies up later

My Daughter prefers her DIY whipped end double layer Fifi Hammock, so much so that during the winter we have to rig it under her bunkbed, Next project the matching Tarp!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3279.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	32Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3283.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	33
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3280.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	31  
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

Just started to use a hammock, well I used to sleep in one when I was kid for a while but that was indoors.
    I got a DD Frontline and DD 3x3 tarp. I have taken the webbing out of the hammock and replaced it with a climbing strap i had laying around, then use a carabinner to attach the strap to the webbbing tied to the tree. Seems to work ok.

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWilkinson View Post
    My Daughter prefers her DIY whipped end double layer Fifi Hammock, so much so that during the winter we have to rig it under her bunkbed, Next project the matching Tarp!..
    God they look cute in that! lol.

I hang like this:

I set my hammock lower than some and probably the Tarp a little higher. My webbing is well used & tight so I can afford to set it low for ease of getting in and out in the mornings. I set my Tarp ridgeline about head-height, it's a little higher than normal in the picture above.

My Hammock is a DD Travel Hammock 2010, around it is a cocoon made by SnuPak. I love the cocoon as it acts as my sleeping bag and insulation beneath, so I carry the cocoon and don't need to carry a sleeping-bag or roll mat

I use the karabiner MOD (2 each end) to stop rain coming down the webbing, the krabs are hollow/light.

The tarp is a Tatonka 3x3m Polycotton Tarp which I love I use a ridge-line and tension out my tarp using prussik knots at either end.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

I have a couple of setups, one setup is a DD travel Hammock (old model with one zip), the sashes have been replaced by a 3 quarter inch tubular milspec tape with 1.25 inch steel rings in place to stop capillary effect. The tarp is a 3 x 3 Tatonka with a 7mm purlon ridgeline and paracord with high vis / reflective strips woven in for the guy ropes. The tarp is tensioned using prussicks on mini carabiners and the Ridgeline is tensioned using a pulley set up with carabiners. Insulation is provided by a 3/4 length thermarest and deer skin and dependent on time of year I don't need a sleeping bag.

The latest setup for travelling with is a new DD Camping hammock with the sashes replaced with 1 inch milspec tape (it weighs the same as the other tape as it' not quite as dense), once again it has 1.25 inch steel rings in place and each sash is 10 feet in length. The tarp is a DD 3 x 3 tentioned on prussiks with mini carabiners. The ridge line is 7mm marlow and tensioned in the same way as the other setup and it also has the reflective / high vis paracord guy lines. I will be trialling an Alpkit Numo as insulation.

On both the ridgeline is set up around chin height and the hammock is setup taught at the height of my buttock.

I always also carry a bivi bag in the event that I cannot have a hammock setup, hence also sticking with a sleeping bag and thermal mat.

I should be out teaching in a couple of days time, if I get a chance I'll try to get some pictures.

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by leon-1 View Post
    I should be out teaching in a couple of days time, if I get a chance I'll try to get some pictures.
    Thanks for sharing Leon.

Any particular reason that you use mini-crabs with the prussiks to tention? I'm just wondering if I've missed out on a tip I tie my prussiks straight to the tarp?
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

I also use mini crabs, which are attatched to the tarp, and prussiks that stay on the ridgeline, for me it's so that I can set up the ridgeline first and then attatch the tarp. I personally find this a simpler way to set up and take down, but don't forget your ridgeline as I have nearly done a couple of times

Matt.
    It's not arson if it's your own stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I also use mini crabs, which are attatched to the tarp, and prussiks that stay on the ridgeline, for me it's so that I can set up the ridgeline first and then attatch the tarp. I personally find this a simpler way to set up and take down, but don't forget your ridgeline as I have nearly done a couple of times

Matt.
    My ridgeline and tarp are set up at the same time, the tarp can be setup centrally pretty much every time using this method.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Cawley View Post
    Thanks for sharing Leon.

Any particular reason that you use mini-crabs with the prussiks to tention? I'm just wondering if I've missed out on a tip I tie my prussiks straight to the tarp?
    By having the prussiks removable, attached to mini carabiners, it allows me to set the tarp up as a diagonal or in any other configuration should I require to. Basically it allows me the freedom to set the tarp up in any configuration that I may require. With the new DD tarp that allows me a lot of adaptability due to the amount of suspension points.

So should I need to I can setup on the diagonal giving me an overall roof length of 4.5 meters, the centre of your body sits at the lowest point, the 2 diagonal points at the sides provide a greater windbreak effect to the lower level of your body reducing windchill. It has its benefits.

I'm with Leon and matt with this, It just makes the whole system more versitile having the prussiks removable. You can set the ridgeline up on the diagonal, across the centre, across a third of the tarp, on the end of the tarp, remove the ridgeline for making mini Teepees, Solo shelters and Brew wedges. If you're using a debris shelter you can rig your ridgeline for a hanging line.

I found as soon as you tie straight to the tarp, you sub-conciously limit your options as for some bizarre reasons you only look for spots where you can rig the ridgeline, where as with it seperate you begin to open up a whole world of shelter options.

In fact to remind me how versitile a tarp is I've printed and laminated a copy of the tarpology images at A5 and keep it stashed with my tarp.

To me it has always made sense to keep it seperate.

It is also the same reason that I use a single line suspension for my hammock, I basically whip out the suspension, get it nice and tight, centre my krabs where I want the hammock, then attach the hammock to the suspension with a fairly fixed amount of Sag, means I can hang from trees upto about 30' or more apart and can have the hammock anywhere along that line, can then do the same with the Tarp. But as Matt says just remember to take the lines down with you!!
    Last edited by MikeWilkinson; 29-11-2010 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Forgot to mentoin the single line suspension