PDA

View Full Version : The luck of the IRISH!

feebullet
22-03-2011, 11:17 AM
well st paddy's day I met a leprechaun at a pub ( no surprises there) anyway him and his wife were exploring Australia and wanted to adventure, after many many a beer my wife invited them all out crabbing and prawning the Queensland flood effected area.

We put out a tent as we always do for cooking and storing gear, and slept in the boat. Here are some pics of the lucky ones in action. To get a trifecta on crabs (mud, sand and coral) is almost unheard of in a day, to follow it up on tiger, school and swampie prawns is also pretty rare. Over the 2 days and one night we were out we managed 30 crabs and several gallons of prawns for the effort.

By the way, they can't hold their booze when it isn't an Irish holiday and spewing doesn't chum up and bring in the fish no matter how much sea food you eat

feebullet
22-03-2011, 11:21 AM
more pics

Ben Casey
22-03-2011, 11:41 AM
Looks like you had fun nice pictures :)

comanighttrain
22-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Wow those are some funky looking crabs! What are they? Aside from the common brown one...

luresalive
22-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Looks fantastic and we can certainly hold our booze, just not used to that drainage water you call alcohol out there!!

J_P
22-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Nice one buddy, and your right they cant what ever they say lol ;)

Roadkillphil
22-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Awesome pics mate! I wanna come and play :D

feebullet
22-03-2011, 08:28 PM
anyone is welcome to come play, i'll make sure you have a return ticket though hahaha the brown crabs are the mud crabs, blue crab is the sand crab (asian swimmer if you cook like Rick Stien) and the funky monkey is a coral crab.

GlenM
24-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Love the attitude on pic number 4 !!........bet he tasted great.

Glen

comanighttrain
24-03-2011, 10:21 AM
anyone is welcome to come play, i'll make sure you have a return ticket though hahaha the brown crabs are the mud crabs, blue crab is the sand crab (asian swimmer if you cook like Rick Stien) and the funky monkey is a coral crab.

Wow, haha I forgot you are down under! Looking at those pictures is making me hungry....

happybonzo
24-03-2011, 04:02 PM
The crab in pic. 4 looked seriously P****d with you. Do you get Salties down there 'cos that could make crabbing a bit exciting

Celt_Ginger
24-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Great pictures.

feebullet
24-03-2011, 10:27 PM
From where we go salties are about 600 k's (400 miles) north, although there have been the odd croc end up down here, usually as a joke.(Yes, colonials think its funny to put a croc in someones salt water pool and shut the fence) But with a bit of global warming we might be lucky enough not to have to travel too far to see them. I've crabbed the tip of Australia a couple of times with my wife, its an awesome experience. Huge barramundi, huge tides, huge crabs and the most laid back attitude, it really is a holiday (If you think towing a 7 metre boat behind a 4wd offroad for 4 days just to get the boat ramp is relaxing.....)