PDA

View Full Version : Beginners Bushcraft challenge check list

MikeWilkinson
06-09-2016, 10:03 AM
In returning to being 'crafty' after a couple of years off, I'd thought I would set myself a little checklist to make sure I can still remember everything. Then realized that with a few additions of some basic skills this would make a good little check list for a beginners challenge to help learn some woodcraft and bushcraft skills. So without further a due:-

1.) Pitch a Tarp
a.) between trees
b.) using poles
c.) as a lean too.
d.) try more advanced Tarpology (see ashleys article on the website)

2.) Sleep under a tarp or in a Bivi

3.) Sling a Hammock - try different methods and knots.

4.) Light a fire
a.) using a lighter
b.) using matches
c.) using one match
d.) Using a ferrocium Rod
e.) Using a flint and Steel
f.) Using a Bow drill
g.) Using a fire piston
h.) Using hand drill methods
I.) only using natural tinders

5.) Use a Saw\Axe to process wood

6.) make your own Cordage - nettles, lime, willow, spruce root

7.) Build a Shelter
a.) Debris
b.) Pole
c.) Other - Snow cave\turf hut etc...

8.) Cook on a campfire
a.) Bake bannock
b.) fry on a stone
c.) use a dutch oven

9.) Build camp furniture
a.) make a tripod
b.) build a table
c.) A-frame chairs, etc...

10.) Whittle a spoon

11.) Whittle a Kuksa

12.) Make a primitive knife

13.) Forage for food

14.) Make a Paracord Bracelet\Lanyard\Key chain\ Item :)

15.) Make a net for use as a bag\fishing\hammock

I will probably think of a few more, whilst I get back into the swing of things. I'll post them here when I do.

Bernie
06-09-2016, 12:19 PM
Excellent idea. It'll give me an excuse to do something. Maybe set myself a time limit for each (one a week, at least?).

I like this, thank you.

Woody
06-09-2016, 01:22 PM
Nice list... Makes me realise how much of a novice I really am.
3, 6 , and 14 and 15 never even tried!
Cool post, useful for us to start ticking these off and come back again to it...

I would only add

- plant and tree I.D.

-knots .

-hunting and /or tracking

-Traps and snares as well as preparing and butchering various prey (from squirrel to deer).

Thank you for putting this together, nice challenge...
👍

Regards

MikeWilkinson
06-09-2016, 02:14 PM
Nice list... Makes me realise how much of a novice I really am.
3, 6 , and 14 and 15 never even tried!
Cool post, useful for us to start ticking these off and come back again to it...

I would only add

- plant and tree I.D.

-knots .

-hunting and /or tracking

-Traps and snares as well as preparing and butchering various prey (from squirrel to deer).

Thank you for putting this together, nice challenge...

Regards

I was going to add the Plant Id under foraging. I don't like just adding knots as a subject. You can go and learn all sorts of knots but never need to use half of them. I've found the best way to learn them comes from their use in pitching a Tarp and Hammock or making a net, etc... So they are kind of in there as a by product.
As for Hunting and tracking - I would rather put:-

Making a survival bow\Sling
a) with man made cord
b) with natural cordage

Field prep a Rabbit\Squirrel\Pheasant
a) with a knife
b) without a knife!

MikeWilkinson
06-09-2016, 02:17 PM
Excellent idea. It'll give me an excuse to do something. Maybe set myself a time limit for each (one a week, at least?).

I like this, thank you.

That's what I intend to do, one every one or two weeks with the kids and get good at it. I've got a few new shelter builds I want to try that date back to the 1850's and the first pioneers.

rik_uk3
06-09-2016, 06:54 PM
Don't over complicate it for a beginner or you can easily put them off. Stick to real basics, take a tent, take fire lighters etc and build up over time and trips. If I was new and saw 'build tables and chairs' etc I'd think sod that I ain't going.

Pootle
06-09-2016, 07:48 PM
Don't over complicate it for a beginner or you can easily put them off. Stick to real basics, take a tent, take fire lighters etc and build up over time and trips. If I was new and saw 'build tables and chairs' etc I'd think sod that I ain't going.
Agreed. This is a good checklist of skills but pretty daunting for a beginner!

that said, I reckon most people could aim to work their way through it in their own time with plenty of advice and YouTube videos.

MikeWilkinson
06-09-2016, 08:15 PM
Agreed. This is a good checklist of skills but pretty daunting for a beginner!

that said, I reckon most people could aim to work their way through it in their own time with plenty of advice and YouTube videos.
That is the whole point. This isn't a single challenge
But a list of individual skills and challenges that can be referred to.

MikeWilkinson
06-09-2016, 08:30 PM

My previous experience of the people and folk on this forum are that they are here to learn and challenge their skills. This list is merely a set of skills to work upto and beyond and as it has already done, give people food for thought. It's taken me neigh on 10 years+ to become semi competent in half the list and there are a couple on there that I have not yet done either.

I don't think it over complicates things. The first 8 on the list I would list as the basics. However on a couple of meets the interest that those beginning on their journey have for campcraft has often been the centre of the whole meet.

Pootle
06-09-2016, 09:40 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think sure how a list is a good idea. But I'd have thought of some of it as beyond beginners stuff. Or maybe I'm just not very ambitious!

MikeWilkinson
06-09-2016, 10:00 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think sure how a list is a good idea. But I'd have thought of some of it as beyond beginners stuff. Or maybe I'm just not very ambitious!

��Or I'm too ambitious. One of my first posts on here was making a birch bark knife sheath. I still use it. It was my first attempt at birch craft.

MikeWilkinson
09-09-2016, 02:30 PM
So Day three of getting back into the swing of things.

Off the check list so far -

I can still use a ferrocium rod :). I Have lit a fire with Birch bark and also from just a feather stick with some real fine curls at the end.
Found some very nice slightly rotten Lime branches - Made some lime cordage as the bark had pretty much retted itself on the tree.
I've collected some Birch for making a new bow drill set, so will give that a go in the next few days. Pretty sure my technique will stink now.
Also picked up some nice bits of birch for whittling. so spoons and butter knives are on the hit list.

Pootle
09-09-2016, 05:54 PM
Found some very nice slightly rotten Lime branches - Made some lime cordage as the bark had pretty much retted itself on the tree.
That's a cool tip. I didn't realise that it could come pre prepared like that. I'll keep a look out under the limes near me from now on.

ammo
09-09-2016, 06:21 PM
Nice to see you brushing up, on the skills.
You need to add, one more "to do" to your list.
#16 Get to a meet:camping:

MikeWilkinson
13-09-2016, 04:54 PM
So using the cordage made from the lime I had a go at an all natural bow drill set. Got one ember before the cord snapped. Think I might have made the cordage to tight and it had no stretch in it at all. Also forgot to tie it with an Egyptian wrap which would have allowed for the lack of slack in the cord. Will get it right next time though. On the plus side managed an ember or two with a paracord bow.

Ehecatl
13-09-2016, 06:14 PM
I'm enjoying this thread, however, I'd suggest the following knots are useful if you don't know them:

Siberian Hitch
Haulier's Hitch
Faramond
Marlin Spike

I do enjoy learning knots for the sake of it :ashamed: but the four above are the usual ones I use when in the woods.

mick91
13-09-2016, 07:11 PM
Good list that, very good in fact. Reciept hiding should be on there though in my experience! Are you far through the list yet? If you want anything for the primitive knife making give me a shout ive got any amount of offcuts and bits laying about :)

MikeWilkinson
14-09-2016, 02:04 PM
I'm enjoying this thread, however, I'd suggest the following knots are useful if you don't know them:

Siberian Hitch
Haulier's Hitch
Faramond
Marlin Spike

I do enjoy learning knots for the sake of it :ashamed: but the four above are the usual ones I use when in the woods.

On the knots front for beginners I'd also include:-

taut tarp hitch
slipped taut line hitch (a rolling hitch tied to the taut end of a cord after passing it around an object - great for tensioning guy lines!)

MikeWilkinson
14-09-2016, 02:06 PM
So using the cordage made from the lime I had a go at an all natural bow drill set. Got one ember before the cord snapped. Think I might have made the cordage to tight and it had no stretch in it at all. Also forgot to tie it with an Egyptian wrap which would have allowed for the lack of slack in the cord. Will get it right next time though. On the plus side managed an ember or two with a paracord bow.

Quick piccie of the bow drill before I killed the cordage.

MikeWilkinson
14-09-2016, 02:12 PM
Good list that, very good in fact. Reciept hiding should be on there though in my experience! Are you far through the list yet? If you want anything for the primitive knife making give me a shout ive got any amount of offcuts and bits laying about :)

Thanks Mick. I've checked off a fair few - seems somethings you don't forget.

I was thinking more of a hoku or flint knapped knife :)

Ehecatl
14-09-2016, 05:14 PM
On the knots front for beginners I'd also include:-

taut tarp hitch
slipped taut line hitch (a rolling hitch tied to the taut end of a cord after passing it around an object - great for tensioning guy lines!)

Mike - check out the Farrimond http://www.animatedknots.com/farrimond/#ScrollPoint as it works as well as the slipped taut line hitch but is a dream to undo.

M@

MikeWilkinson
22-06-2017, 09:12 PM
So did some grass rope making with the kids. Made about 10' of twin reverse wrap about inch thick. Kids made a small swing out of it. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170622/3140af5a19b5f0eb51f41bf9f9a1bb98.jpg

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

MikeWilkinson
22-06-2017, 10:05 PM
Also got a bit of debris shelter practice in over the weekend. Teaching the little ones about the structures that can be used for one and two man set ups. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170622/4a49f541af41b4cd602523af3a04f5a5.jpg

Pootle
23-06-2017, 09:50 AM
Both look like fun projects for the kids. I've never really worked on natural cordage. Might make it a priority this year.

MikeWilkinson
23-06-2017, 09:54 AM
I started by first untwining some shop bought jute and practicing some simple two strand reverse wrap cordage. I then moved into using nettles and yucca leaves. Once I got the hang of things and understanding what to look for during the process I started applying it to different materials. I like grass ropes though. It always amazes my kids that you can tow a land rover with an inch and half thick grass cable.

Sar-ian
23-06-2017, 10:51 AM
The best thing about bushcraft is you never stop learning, even when you think you have mastered a particular skill, it some how keeps evolving, and whilst basic techniques and principles always apply, its about adaptation, and making it work for you...

Woody
23-06-2017, 10:58 AM
I started by first untwining some shop bought jute and practicing some simple two strand reverse wrap cordage. I then moved into using nettles and yucca leaves. Once I got the hang of things and understanding what to look for during the process I started applying it to different materials. I like grass ropes though. It always amazes my kids that you can tow a land rover with an inch and half thick grass cable.

Brilliant!
I'm definitely interested in trying this natural cordage method.
Could you please explain the 2 strand reverse wrap method ?
I have no idea what that means but it sounds difficult.
Brilliant challenge and I'll be definitely trying this out .
Not sure I'll find yucca , but plenty of nettles and lyme trees , for its bark is apparently very good for natural cordage.

Thanks for the ideas !!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

MikeWilkinson
23-06-2017, 01:02 PM
I'm hoping the below images will help. If not go to Jon ridgeons site and look at his tutorial on nettle cordage. One of the better ones I've found.

http://www.jonsbushcraft.com/cordage%20making.htmhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170623/0e67805e2f78f7dc248ea0c8f3d44053.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170623/46c625469b48a29c3c7e06b244071fd5.jpg

jus_young
23-06-2017, 08:40 PM
I decided to teach the scouts how to make cordage out of nettles. Whilst they were having a fire safety talk with the fire brigade in the other room I went to burn of the stings and set off the fire alarm. Perfect timing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pootle
23-06-2017, 08:57 PM
Haha. I bet that went down well!

MikeWilkinson
28-08-2017, 07:19 PM
More shelter building with the kids. Lean to this time.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170828/1c561da274075df3f2e1cbfd162e6ca1.jpg

Ehecatl
29-08-2017, 12:17 PM
T^

Sundowner
07-11-2017, 06:03 PM
Hmmmm. Reading the first post of this thread I must say I shouldn't be in this forum :jumping-joy:

Sundowner
07-11-2017, 06:07 PM

Hear hear

Tigger004
09-11-2017, 02:09 PM
I like the list, thanks Mike

MikeWilkinson
16-02-2018, 09:34 AM
Sorry for the late response - just when you think you are getting on top things, life and work like to get in the way....

Thanks Tigger. Think I've got to start on it again now... And promise myself to get out and do some more...