PDA

View Full Version : Pack Weights

garethw
17-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Hi there
I've just been getting some kit together for a weekend fishing, and been loading my rucksack...(a US Alice Pack).
Now I know these aren't the lightest of packs, but they are a great system. So once loaded with some food, water, fleece, poncho, sleeping bag, cookware, knife & saw...plus a few odds and sods...it came to 16kg. I was amazed ar how heavy it became so quickly....But once hoisted onto my back I could carry the weight no probs...
THEN I watched Ashleys video of Dartmoor where they weighed their modern frameless packs...11kg to 21kg range.. seems then my old GI pack is there or there abouts weight wise...
What do other people's packs weigh generally???
Cheers
Gareth

NB: Fishing gear is separate from all this and even heavier..but we won't be carrying it...

comanighttrain
17-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Mine usually comes at about 12-14kg for two days (factor in Scottish Weather kit) - it's a Webtex bergan though so I believe the troops have about 20kg in it usually?

Fletching
17-03-2011, 04:21 PM
It all depends on the water (and food to a lesser extent). 'Kit' weighs around 16 - 20 kilos depending on whether I take the cookset (or just a kettle and MREs), the tent, the hammock or just a tarp/poncho.

paul standley
17-03-2011, 06:15 PM
Similar weights here, mine varies between 14 and 18Kg but more often that not, it varies in the upward direction...! - still trying to lighten the load, hope to get it more under control this year.

chris grace
17-03-2011, 08:45 PM
OH! dear,my kit fully loaded for a 2 night weekend weighs in at..............5 kilos not including water but including food

Ben Casey
17-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Think I need some scales :)

chris grace
18-03-2011, 07:58 AM
No mate you don't need scales.When you pick up your pack and think "yes that's comfortable for me" then you have a pack of the perfect weight.

Adam Savage
06-04-2011, 12:29 PM
A weekend at Ivan's and my pack is around 9 kg inc food, sleeping bag, sleeping bag liner, hammock, tarp, pegs, waterproof jacket, billy cans, kettle, gas, stove, head lamp, two shirts, spare trousers, two pairs socks, two pairs boxers, 40 ltr x-lite dry sack, bergen GS, two bennie hats and shemagh.
fresh spring water is on site so no need to carry that, belt kit has knife and possibles pouch with survival kit, first aid kit and multi tool in. I wear base layer, shirt, fleece and jacket, on top, craghoppers on the bottom, socks and underwear (obviously..no commandos here), boots on feet and bush hat on head. Pockets contain whistle, dextrose tablets, tobacco, lighter, papers, pocket torch and spare paracord.
Think that's it...LOL

Adam Savage
06-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Oh and spare batteries for torch in pocket too lol, so I guess all kit would come to around 11-12 kg inc jacket and boots. but not the rest of the cloths.

MikeWilkinson
06-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Just weighed up my pack for an overnighter this weekend, wouldn't change much for up to a week, a little more rice and flour maybe. 11kg including a litre of water.

Contents: Bivi bag, SI mattress, Sleeping bag, Hammock, Midge net, Tarp and pegs, Billy can, Wood burner, gas stove & Gas, Brew kit, 2 days Rice & Bannock mix, 100' Jute, 50' Paracord, 30' Nylon cord, Brades Criterion Axe, Folding Saw, Mora Clipper, Char tin(for making char), Puck sharpening stone, Dry clothes and change of underwear. Individual First aid kit, water bottle(filled) and cup.

I'm happy with that, beats the 20+ I used to hump around.