PDA

View Full Version : Inner Tube - How Many Uses?

Fletching
16-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Apart from making Ranger Bands and as fire lighting material, do you have any other uses for inner tube?

I'll start with a quick tip:

Cut a piece of inner tube about eight inches long and fold one end back on itself and tape it up to use the tube to store tent pegs for your tarp or tent so they don't damage anything, as it's not always feasible to make your own pegs when out there.

Any other uses?

Kiltie
16-03-2011, 08:52 PM
As a light bracket for your bicycle, cut a 6" length, at one end measure back 1cm and cut a slit 1cm width-ways, now, slip the non slit end over your 'maglite torch', place the torch facing forward on your handlebars (underslung) then take the slitted end and push the head of the torch through it-et viola

feebullet
16-03-2011, 11:39 PM
on the bike theme, you can use an old bit of tube and some zip ties to act as a chip preventer on your frame, I have a bit where my chain makes contact with the frame occasionally

CanadianMike
17-03-2011, 12:33 AM
Is handy to use to contain air in your bicycle tires.................

Lol, I've used it as Ranger bands, put over an knife handle to give it more grip, depending on the size it can be handy to hold your two piece fishing rod together during transport (brocolli rubbers, etc works well too)............can see Elton John using it creatively to help him last longer......... did I mention using it to store air in your bicycle tires?

feebullet
17-03-2011, 04:45 AM
you can also put a band around your sheath and use it to keep a fire steel in place if you lack that feature, so its there for fire kit and also for putting fatwood or tinder behind the flap. Also as kids we made some shockingly inefficient sling shots with them!

So yeah you can burn it, it provides smoke, holds air in tires apparently, holds a maglite, fire steel, fatwood and tinder, slingshots, tent pegs, ranger bands, not a bad little list accumulating

Martin
17-03-2011, 09:27 AM
Cut about a 9" length (personal preference on the acutal size), apply Superglue to one end and then sew with some strong twine just in case. Hey presto! An improvised condom.

Martin

Fletching
17-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Cut about a 9" length (personal preference on the acutal size), apply Superglue to one end and then sew with some strong twine just in case. Hey presto! An improvised condom.

Martin

Trust you to de-sensitise a decent thread.

Geddit?

:)

comanighttrain
17-03-2011, 10:31 AM
Can also be used to warm up the stabilizer muscle groups before exercise.... also can be used as a resistance tube for exercise.

dave budd
17-03-2011, 12:12 PM
cut rings from it to use as heavy duty elastic bands, they can be used for all sorts. Rings can be used as rubber bungies on things like tents and tarps.

used in long lengths (cut the tube in a spiral for max lengths) it can be used to tie all sorts together. i've seen it used that way to laminate boards together when making bows.

wrapped over things that you don't want slipping such as on a car roof rack.

tie one end and see if your mate can blow it up. fun when drinking that one :)

Fletching
17-03-2011, 12:42 PM
Glue sections together to make a gimp suit?

comanighttrain
17-03-2011, 01:40 PM

and then have your mate blow it up

Realbark
17-03-2011, 01:55 PM

Lol, I've used it as Ranger bands, put over an knife handle to give it more grip, depending on the size it can be handy to hold your two piece fishing rod together during transport (brocolli rubbers, etc works well too)............can see Elton John using it creatively to help him last longer......... did I mention using it to store air in your bicycle tires?

You can also store them flat and then just inflate when you actually need the air. Saves on size and weight for ultralight applications.

Pile cushions.

use larger tube cutoffs as band for keeping cook kit together - hobos,crusaders etc and as storm cuffs for trousers or jackets

Martin
17-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Trust you to de-sensitise a decent thread.

Geddit?

:)

Kaboom tisshhh!!! :D

Martin

Martin
17-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Use them for storing dehydrated water? At 1kg per litre, it really saves on weight and pack size. :)

Martin

Bernie
17-03-2011, 06:55 PM
As kids we used to make catapults with the rubber from inner tubes. Car tubes were stronger, but bike tubes stretch better - certainly easier for little kids. :)

Fletching
17-03-2011, 08:41 PM
You can use tubes tied off one end with string coming through to mold your own candles from stumps.

Aaron Rushton
19-03-2011, 09:20 AM
bit speicalized this but your can cut them to make and easy sound moderator cover for your air rifle or rimfire.

Ashley Cawley
24-03-2011, 06:28 AM
cut rings from it to use as heavy duty elastic bands, they can be used for all sorts. Rings can be used as rubber bungies on things like tents and tarps.

used in long lengths (cut the tube in a spiral for max lengths) it can be used to tie all sorts together. i've seen it used that way to laminate boards together when making bows.

wrapped over things that you don't want slipping such as on a car roof rack.

tie one end and see if your mate can blow it up. fun when drinking that one :)
Some great suggestions here from everyone... ok not everyone :p

But I'm definitely gona give these a go for; no slip stuff, heavy elastic bands & catipult bands for brother Joe!

Martin
24-03-2011, 08:07 AM
bit speicalized this but your can cut them to make and easy sound moderator cover for your air rifle or rimfire.

Not a facetious comment here, but why would you want a cover for the sound moderator on your air rifle?

Martin

MartiniDave
24-03-2011, 08:16 AM
Use lengths of them to stop tailgate chains rattling on "propper" Series Landrovers.

Use them as bungy straps for load lashing.

Slide a shortish bit on a plastic Mora sheath so you can store a firesteel, needle etc on the sheath - also makes any paracord whipped onto the sheath stay in pace better.

Dave

CanadianMike
24-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Not a facetious comment here, but why would you want a cover for the sound moderator on your air rifle?

Martin

I think he meant if you don't have a sound moderator on your rifle (most sold in Canada don't), you can use a partially installed 'rubber' on your muzzle to act as one.

MartiniDave
24-03-2011, 02:01 PM
A bit of inner tube over a moderator (gun NOT forum variety!) will reduce glare/reflections and in some cases cut down a little more resonance, as well as protecting the finish.

Aaron Rushton
24-03-2011, 03:07 PM
A bit of inner tube over a moderator (gun NOT forum variety!) will reduce glare/reflections and in some cases cut down a little more resonance, as well as protecting the finish.

;) exactly what i was about to type.

Adam Savage
24-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Use them for storing dehydrated water? At 1kg per litre, it really saves on weight and pack size. :)

Martin

I'm surprised no one actually said anything about this. lol

If your in a jam (or you just like being tight-both financially and abdominally) you can replace your worn out belt with one I guess.

MartiniDave
25-03-2011, 07:39 AM
crazysaint222

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
Use them for storing dehydrated water? At 1kg per litre, it really saves on weight and pack size.

Martin
I'm surprised no one actually said anything about this. lol

If your in a jam (or you just like being tight-both financially and abdominally) you can replace your worn out belt with one I guess.

I was going to, but don't like to encourage the promotion of dehydrated water. I've found it to be over priced and unreliable so no longer recommend it!:p

Martin
25-03-2011, 10:47 AM
I was going to, but don't like to encourage the promotion of dehydrated water. I've found it to be over priced and unreliable so no longer recommend it!:p

I can understand your point of view of this Dave but the Irish economy is going through a particularly hard patch at the moment and, being our nearest European neighbour and trading partner, I think it's only fair that we support this important natural resource, even if you have fundamental ethical issues with the actual dehydration process.

Martin

RobbC
25-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Wait one moment...What exactly is dehydrated water?

Robb

CanadianMike
25-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Air. Lol

RobbC
25-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Ha good one mike, lol. But seriously what is it?

Robb

Fletching
25-03-2011, 12:24 PM
i can understand your point of view of this dave but the irish economy is going through a particularly hard patch at the moment and, being our nearest european neighbour and trading partner, i think it's only fair that we support this important natural resource, even if you have fundamental ethical issues with the actual dehydration process.

Martin

stop it. :)

Ben Casey
25-03-2011, 12:55 PM
It is this threads ffault I have now got 3 inner tubes in my house but I still cant find that water ;)

jbrown14
25-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Ha good one mike, lol. But seriously what is it?

Robb

:confused:

Ben Casey
25-03-2011, 01:09 PM

:confused:

Thats brill where did you get it I want one :)

RobbC
25-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Thanks thats got that cleared up!

Robb

jbrown14
25-03-2011, 02:18 PM
Thats brill where did you get it I want one :)

Sadly, it appears that these cans are not available any more. It can be found in capsule form on Amazon.com now.

Be careful, however, when purchasing Dehydrated Water in any form, as disreputable dealers may substitute the similar, but very dangerous "Dihydrogen Monoxide" for true Dehydrated Water.

Martin
25-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Sadly, it appears that these cans are not available any more. It can be found in capsule form on Amazon.com now.

Be careful, however, when purchasing Dehydrated Water in any form, as disreputable dealers may substitute the similar, but very dangerous "Dihydrogen Monoxide" for true Dehydrated Water.

That's why it's important to buy only genuine Irish dehydrated water. I'm pretty sure that you can get a substitute from the far east but I wouldn't trust it. I believe there is going to be a programme on TV about the the dehydrated water scandal on TV next Friday (note the date in your diary), would be worth checking out, especially if you are planning on carrying it in a bit of old inner tube.

Martin

Martin
25-03-2011, 02:57 PM
I also forgot to mention, beware of internet retaillers for this product. Unscrupulous dealers will cut it with all sorts of crap to increase profits. Go somewhere reputable like Cotswold Outdoor or Millets who can give you expert advice. Alternatively, call Kevin Endicott at Endicott's in Exeter as he used to have a supply of MilSpec dehydrated water a while ago. Not too sure if he still has it but it used to be kept with the Millbank bags.

Hope this helps

Martin

Realbark
26-03-2011, 07:14 AM
There are abundant supplies of this natually occuring product. Below is a pic of the worlds largest dehydrated water reservoir. New sources are being found all the time. I even have a small one in my garden near the Gnomes.........as a prepper i believe its essential to locate local sources of dehydrated water for TEOISAWKI (the end of internet shopping as we know it). Gnomes are not essential but do stop the neighbours cats from urinating in it.........bringing us full circle to inner tubes for safe storage :p

MartiniDave
29-03-2011, 01:45 PM
Now THAT's let the cat out of the bag! People will be helping themselves to the good stuff!

Those cans weren't that good, I left one outside in the rain with the lid a bit loose and the dehydrated water rehydrated itself! I suppose I should have put some silica gel in there, but it's too late now!

OKBushcraft
03-04-2011, 04:20 AM
I have used it as a fire lighter, a wrap or two on my mora plastic sheath over some fish line and hooks on a card. It can be cut into small lengths- 6-8 inches, then use cement to seal on end, sew it along the seam. Cut 1" from only half of the top side and leave two longer pcs like a cat fish wisker on either side of the top. It is now a roll down water proof kit container. Roll the top down and then tie the two wiskers together on the back side.
I have seen folks put snaps/poppers on the roll down portion. Makes a great neck kit at about 3"
One can also put a pc on an axe head near the head to help from maring the helve should you over reach when swinging the axe- We use to roll several on a maul handle near the head.
The tent stake holder was a brilliant comment btw!!!

GwersyllaCnau
03-04-2011, 07:04 AM
cut rings from it to use as heavy duty elastic bands, they can be used for all sorts. :)

I used to work in a pottery and we used car inner tubes cut into bands to hold the molds together

Fletching
05-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Well, with inner tube, a sewing machine and some stretchy elastic, this has just given me some more ideas:

http://uncrate.com/stuff/journal-bandolier/?ref=nf

Steve

GwersyllaCnau
05-04-2011, 04:02 PM
That is a great idea... [Digs round garage looking for inner tube]

OKBushcraft
07-04-2011, 02:20 AM
Steve, that was a great idea, thanks! John.

paul standley
07-04-2011, 11:36 AM
;) exactly what i was about to type.

I have used similar to cover moderator on my break-barrel air rifle because it has a knurled section right where it has to be held to break the gun and it ends up shedding my hand after 50 loads...

paul standley
11-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Inner Tubes - I use a piece to secure my Mora Clipper onto my belt in in a transverse position as it suits me better than conventionally having it hanging off the belt clip.

As with most mora's, the knife doesn't always hold tight in the sheath so I put a bungy clip on the sheath with holds it very firm.

As I'm left handed, I have the rig on my right hip and the knife in the sheath 'wrong way around' so that I can put it in and out easily and safely.

bigzee
13-04-2011, 10:04 PM

Ahaaah!....now we're getting to the real reason for the thread - just fishing around to see if anyone else shares your tendancies eh?

Fletching
14-04-2011, 06:52 AM
Ahaaah!....now we're getting to the real reason for the thread - just fishing around to see if anyone else shares your tendancies eh?

Hey, I resemble that remark!

CanadianMike
22-04-2011, 02:50 AM
Lol, just came across this on an unrelated search............

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/35083_10150233938555377_212641675376_13312109_2616 614_n.jpg

Kieran
01-05-2011, 07:29 PM

Martin

Martin, you legend!

Ben Casey
01-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Lol, just came across this on an unrelated search............

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/35083_10150233938555377_212641675376_13312109_2616 614_n.jpg

Love it LOL

bikebum1975
15-06-2011, 07:15 AM
Got some good laughs here tonight yet seriously, For the bicycle riders out there use sections when you have your headset being rebuilt just before you put the fork and stem back on the fame take small pieces of tube to keep water out of the headset. Especially good for mountain bikers. I haven't done it yet myself but supposed to be an old mountain biker trick.

Ben Casey
15-06-2011, 08:23 AM
Hi all the old guy that lived here had a good use for the old inner tube he laid it in the grass so it got covered up and when I try to dig I nearly break my back on the stuff :) Not s good one but hey I have some more inner tube now :D

Adam Savage
15-06-2011, 08:28 AM
Hi all the old guy that lived here had a good use for the old inner tube he laid it in the grass so it got covered up and when I try to dig I nearly break my back on the stuff :) Not s good one but hey I have some more inner tube now :D

So you think it would make a good soil retention device? :p

Ben Casey
15-06-2011, 08:32 AM
So you think it would make a good soil retention device? :p

Yeah it would and it is a bit like a bouncy castle for my spade so loads of fun :p

Adam Savage
17-06-2011, 01:32 PM
You ever had a pocket knife, where the spring became worn, the blade kept dropping and then opened enough to stab you in the leg, or chest (pocket dependant)?

Well fear not, inner tube to the rescue...

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/16062011767.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/16062011768.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/16062011769.jpg

bikebum1975
18-06-2011, 06:15 AM
You ever had a pocket knife, where the spring became worn, the blade kept dropping and then opened enough to stab you in the leg, or chest (pocket dependant)?

Well fear not, inner tube to the rescue...

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/16062011767.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/16062011768.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/16062011769.jpg

Mate that is BRILLIANT thanks for the idea just so happens part of my SAK did exactly that thanks

Adam Savage
18-06-2011, 07:32 AM
Mate that is BRILLIANT thanks for the idea just so happens part of my SAK did exactly that thanks

Simple, but it works. Think the piece I had was inner tube from a racer originally. Also helps prevent the loss of the tooth pick and tweezers, by stopping things brushing against them and popping them out.

bikebum1975
18-06-2011, 03:41 PM
@Crazysaint also gonna use a piece of tube for my bike multi tool hate the tools coming open in my pocket LOL

Adam Savage
18-06-2011, 04:02 PM
@Crazysaint also gonna use a piece of tube for my bike multi tool hate the tools coming open in my pocket LOL

Cool, adaptation and improvisation..."adaptavisation"??? lol

Metal mug
18-06-2011, 04:45 PM
This is a bit out there, but I find inner tube is handy for keeping tires inflated.

Adam Savage
18-06-2011, 05:05 PM

This is a bit out there, but I find inner tube is handy for keeping tires inflated.

Mike beat you to it mate.

bikebum1975
18-06-2011, 05:32 PM
Yeah the whole holding air thing is rather a novel idea isn't it? :D lol

Metal mug
19-06-2011, 05:43 AM
Mike beat you to it mate. Dang! :ashamed:

Adam Savage
19-06-2011, 07:37 AM
Dang! :ashamed:

You gotta watch these Canadians lol

feebullet
19-06-2011, 07:48 AM
this thread should die a natural death, its getting obscene....

Metal mug
19-06-2011, 12:37 PM

Martin That's when it got obscene. :D

jikido
14-08-2011, 10:40 PM
I stuff my tent pegs down the slot for the back frame on my rucksuck so they don't poke into stuff. But the inner tube is a cool idea thanks

Blu
09-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Not really a bushcraft use but, cut strips to help support growing saplings to a post, without damage or hindering the growth of the tree.

Opal
17-10-2011, 03:14 PM
I always carry a small piece of inner tube to straighten my fishing traces out, just pull the twisted trace through the rubber and it'll straighten out.

bushcraftboy
17-10-2011, 03:28 PM
Fire - good kindling, clean and use as plaster, seal water?, inflatable tube - many uses, can't think of much but you can think of many uses.

Nako
20-01-2012, 11:38 AM
Shock absorbers for your tarp shelter. They can keep grommets from pulling out or ties from tearing in windy conditions. With some experimentation they can be sized to break before your grommets tear out.

Adam Savage
20-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Shock absorbers for your tarp shelter. They can keep grommets from pulling out or ties from tearing in windy conditions. With some experimentation they can be sized to break before your grommets tear out.

Cool idea. Might have to use that one myself :). Thanks for sharing that T^

Silverback
20-01-2012, 02:02 PM

T^ INSPIRED !! I shall make some post haste......hang on.....how ?

Adam Savage
20-01-2012, 02:07 PM
I'm only guessing here, but if you cut the tube into rings, then thread them through an eyelet, other end through itself, then Voilá. Same way as you use those rubber bands on tent pegging points. Purely the way I would attempt it though.

Silverback
20-01-2012, 02:13 PM
I'm only guessing here, but if you cut the tube into rings, then thread them through an eyelet, other end through itself, then vous la. Same way as you use those rubber bands on tent pegging points. Purely the way I would attempt it though.

i thought the same bit then realised that the diameter isnt conducive to doing that unless you make the ones out of thicker bits with multiple cuts (hope you understand)

Adam Savage
20-01-2012, 02:17 PM
You can make larger, flat rings, from inner tube. If you lay it on it's side, cut a semi-circle out, across the whole width, then cut a smaller one inside, unfold it, and you have a large rubber washer :)

Martin
20-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Or cut longer strips and put a knot in them. Voilá (I think that's what you meant Adam?) ;)

Martin

Adam Savage
20-01-2012, 04:25 PM
That's the word :)

Ben Casey
20-01-2012, 04:49 PM
You can make larger, flat rings, from inner tube. If you lay it on it's side, cut a semi-circle out, across the whole width, then cut a smaller one inside, unfold it, and you have a large rubber washer :)

Good job you didnt go in the REME mate :D

Adam Savage
20-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Good job you didnt go in the REME mate :D

The only thing those fellas use, is duct tape and wire coat hangers :p

Silverback
20-01-2012, 06:11 PM
The only thing those fellas use, is duct tape and wire coat hangers :p

and big hammers

Adam Savage
20-01-2012, 06:17 PM
and big hammers

Sometimes small hammers, for delicate things :)

Silverback
20-01-2012, 07:01 PM
for delicate things :)

Yes, like tanks

Adam Savage
20-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Yes, like tanks

Like scimitars, after all, they are made of alloy :p.

Back to topic though...
The cutting circles out of innertube, is quite useful for making washer/gasket seals for screw top containers, matchboxes (round ones), aluminium drinks bottles, and discs can be used to seal worn out canteens. :)

Silverback
20-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Like scimitars, after all, they are made of alloy :p.

Back to topic though...
The cutting circles out of innertube, is quite useful for making washer/gasket seals for screw top containers, matchboxes (round ones), aluminium drinks bottles, and discs can be used to seal worn out canteens. :)

Yup been there, done that. I was trying to figure out a way of making them longer and easier to thread without it being a single straight length and without too much waste (i am after all from Yorkshire)

Adam Savage
20-01-2012, 07:27 PM
I reckon Martin had the best method, by just cutting strips, and tying them into a loop.

Juanodaxis
20-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Do you guys seen how butchers cut salami in an angle to get a larger slice? Well, at least in Spain. If you place the inner tube on a flat surface and cut it diagonal you should have enough to feed them through the eyelets like Crazysaint222 suggested.

Silverback
20-01-2012, 10:45 PM
strangely enough I can actually butcher meat and have worked in butchers shops and factories - never thought of cutting my inner tube on the diagonal though

Adam Savage
20-01-2012, 10:51 PM
I would have thought you'd have tried that already Sapper, after all you are (in your own words) from Yorkshire :p

Silverback
20-01-2012, 11:22 PM
I would have thought you'd have tried that already Sapper, after all you are (in your own words) from Yorkshire :p

Nooooo as it wastes some :happy-clapping:

Adam Savage
20-01-2012, 11:24 PM
Not if you have a complete "round" innertube, and cut it all diagonally :p. Could even use the valve for some kind of pressurised device.

jus_young
21-01-2012, 08:29 AM
...Could even use the valve for some kind of pressurised device.

Really, like an inner tube maybe? ;)

Adam Savage
21-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Really, like an inner tube maybe? ;)

I don't see why not. I'm surprised no one else has thought of that idea. :p

Ben Casey
21-01-2012, 12:30 PM
If you ahd a really thick inner tube you could suspend people from trees I think I dont know why anyone would want to do it but it would be funny :D

Adam Savage
21-01-2012, 01:07 PM
If you ahd a really thick inner tube you could suspend people from trees I think I dont know why anyone would want to do it but it would be funny :D

Kind of like a vertical hammock maybe, or possibly a rescue stop, to hoist people out of life boats? :D

Nako
21-01-2012, 01:25 PM
T^ INSPIRED !! I shall make some post haste......hang on.....how ?

I cut pieces of the inner tube into bands about 1 1/2 - 2 inches wide (approximately 3 -5 centimeters to y'all :) ) I use paracord loops through the grommets, loop the bands through those and attach the lines to my stakes to the bands.

To be honest, it takes pretty strong winds to rip the grommets out of a new tarp but over time even the brisk winds common here on the high plains (gale and even hurricane force winds aren't unheard of) weaken the fabric around the grommets so shock absorbers help extend the life of my tarps.

bushcraftybob
16-12-2012, 01:06 AM
9" ... i assume you have missed some kind of folding technique ?? what am i meant to do with the 5" of hanging rubber ?

Silverback
16-12-2012, 09:00 AM
I just used some to fix a plastic compression joint on the sink trap in my kitchen. The supplied blue wedge shaped plastic just couldn't grip the pipe a 2 inch bit of tube rolled back did the trick.

sam_acw
14-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Going to use some to repair the seal on my walking boots. Also seen it used for snowshoe bindings and around the toe to help grip on ice.
Could be sealed at both ends with firemaking stuff inside as an emergency fire kit.

Tigger004
15-01-2013, 09:14 PM
If you like the taste of french chalk they can be used as a straw

Winst0nsmith
17-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Coupled with a pair of cheap carabiners and you've got a knife dangler.

If you want bigger bands in various sizes, just drop by an automotive or agricultural tyre supplier, they are usually happy to give away old tubes.

nilo52
16-02-2013, 11:35 PM
Your killing me CanadianMike, Elton John LOL

nilo52
16-02-2013, 11:38 PM

Martin

And if you use a glow-in-the-dark kind you could use it as a strobe !:happy-clapping:

butchthedog
17-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Bungee stirrups for yer hoss

BJ
17-02-2013, 05:02 PM
Bungee stirrups for yer hoss

could be a bit risky over the jumps http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/demon/t1434.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/t-demon.php)

butchthedog
17-02-2013, 07:27 PM
could be a bit risky over the jumps http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/demon/t1434.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/t-demon.php)

Yee Haa, giddy up neddy.

nilo52
17-02-2013, 08:05 PM
Who the hell is neddy ? is he a bend over billy ?
Yee Haa, giddy up neddy.

Silverback
17-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Who the hell is neddy ? is he a bend over billy ?

Neddy is an 'oss.......horse

nilo52
17-02-2013, 09:11 PM
Neddy is an 'oss.......horse

OHHH. Never mind.

Pryderi
18-02-2013, 01:01 PM
Use a long big bit of inner tube as the spring in an unattended fishing line. Poor man's yo yo reel.

jacko1066
18-02-2013, 03:58 PM
If you have a hand line fishing reel you could use a ranger band to hold the line together when your bit using it and another one on the handle for grip!

(Sorry if this has already been posted)

Atb
Steve

Dave ward
18-02-2013, 08:44 PM
Wow im tyred after reading all these ideas, feeling bit deflated now

Ehecatl
18-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Bah! - What a let down!

rawfish111
18-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Gagging the kids

VEV
14-03-2013, 05:11 PM
Today I successfully converted my mora companion right handed sheath so that I could wear it on my left side with the use of inner tube strips and a bit of paracord. It rides higher than the original belt clip but for me it is acceptable and can take the knife out in the right way. :)

nilo52
14-03-2013, 11:11 PM
Today I successfully converted my mora companion right handed sheath so that I could wear it on my left side with the use of inner tube strips and a bit of paracord. It rides higher than the original belt clip but for me it is acceptable and can take the knife out in the right way. :)

I KNEW you'd find a way VIV ! I am going to try it :happy-clapping:
Living in a right handed society is the pits if you ask me. I FINALLY ordered some Left handed scissors , I just git TIRED of using the wrong kind. Hey! If you have any other Lefty Mods let me know !

Ehecatl
26-03-2013, 01:29 PM

Twisting off the sleeve on a tap! Worked wonders.

M@

Ferrell freddy
15-05-2013, 04:16 PM
Inner Tubes - I use a piece to secure my Mora Clipper onto my belt in in a transverse position as it suits me better than conventionally having it hanging off the belt clip.

As with most mora's, the knife doesn't always hold tight in the sheath so I put a bungy clip on the sheath with holds it very firm.

As I'm left handed, I have the rig on my right hip and the knife in the sheath 'wrong way around' so that I can put it in and out easily and safely.

I like what you did there! I simply used the inner tube slightly higher to hold the knife handle, as shown the knife can be held upside down and still doesn't fall out! The knife was shaving sharp and still with extensive use did not slit the rubber, I think I will be adding more to hold fire steels, cordage etc in place and of course it could act as emergency tinder. :)

Unrelated, I'm new to the whole forum thing, how do I add a signature block at the bottom of my posts?!

OakAshandThorn
15-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Unrelated, I'm new to the whole forum thing, how do I add a signature block at the bottom of my posts?!
Go into 'Settings', look on the left side in the 'My Settings' panel, click 'Edit Signature', type it in, and save ;).

Ferrell freddy
15-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Cool, cheers! Now to think of something inspiring to write!

baitman
15-05-2013, 06:53 PM
you can get some old car inner tube from a tyre shop/garage and the bigger size allows more inventive uses.

if you get the two sections of a fishing rod stuck together they need a pull and twist to separate. use a couple of pieces of opened out inner tube on each side of the rod joint and you will be able to grip the rod blank securely and prevent it slipping when you twist.

Ehecatl
28-05-2013, 04:35 PM
I like what you did there! I simply used the inner tube slightly higher to hold the knife handle, as shown the knife can be held upside down and still doesn't fall out! The knife was shaving sharp and still with extensive use did not slit the rubber, I think I will be adding more to hold fire steels, cordage etc in place and of course it could act as emergency tinder. :)

I thought this was a cracking idea and so did the same. I also added a bit of additional inner tube to the sheath so the knife can be attached to a stick that's been pushed into the ground for those frequent use scenarios....

Ferrell freddy
28-05-2013, 04:53 PM
I thought this was a cracking idea and so did the same. I also added a bit of additional inner tube to the sheath so the knife can be attached to a stick that's been pushed into the ground for those frequent use scenarios....

Very handy! To be fair I think I'll be adding a few wraps of inner tube just because its so handy, also found these tins of mints in Aldi (no affiliation) which can fit a small fire steel and some tinder inside or what ever you feel you need to keep close at hand!

Silverback
28-05-2013, 06:23 PM
great for impressing young kiddies during firelighting demos when you pull a bit out of the bottom of a bucket of water and light it :)

MadZ
08-07-2013, 08:48 AM
this might have been posted already but didnt want to trawl through the large amount of pages but if you need to split logs for fire wood use two tubes stretch them round your logs untill tight and then whack away with the axe, all your fire wood is contained by the two tubes stopping it pinging off every where also works really well with old tyres,car tyres etc

Adam Savage
08-07-2013, 12:27 PM
this might have been posted already but didnt want to trawl through the large amount of pages but if you need to split logs for fire wood use two tubes stretch them round your logs untill tight and then whack away with the axe, all your fire wood is contained by the two tubes stopping it pinging off every where also works really well with old tyres,car tyres etc

Well bought up MadZ. Don't think that was had been mentioned before :)
I have seen a video on youtube where a guy uses an old tyre to contain the splits.

Durham Bushcrafter
26-03-2015, 05:26 PM
when all else fails, a a ranger band ( rubber band made from an innertube) cut in half and stuck on a hook makes a passable mackerel lure

FishyFolk
26-03-2015, 05:31 PM
In Thailand they use them as tree huggers for hammock suspension.