PDA

View Full Version : Makeing Butter

Tony1948
16-03-2011, 05:47 PM
:happy-clapping:Did anyone make that butter the same as that guy in the vid did that was on ear about 3 week ago.I tryed with single cream, it was cr>p. I then tryed again with double cream and it was the dogs thing'is.A little salt to taste, then into the fridge over night and bobs you'r arntee or wot ever:happy-clapping:

dave budd
17-03-2011, 06:23 AM
no idea about the video of which you speak, but yes i do make butter on occasion :)

most often we use cream to start, but have used whole milk too. We get our milk from the local dairy, so it isn't homogenised and the cream splits out more easily ;) I use a plastic milk bottle as the vessel. Put milk/cream in and sit down infront of the telly shaking it like a lonely schoolboy. Once it has turned to a solid lump I cut the bottle in half, wtap butter in muslin and strain the buttermilk off into the bottom half of the bottle (I thread the wrapped ends of the cloth through the bottle neck and pull on it so the butter is squashed into the cone of the neck). The buttermilk gets used for soups scones and the butter for, well spreading on toast etc :) yummy

JonnyP
17-03-2011, 07:26 AM
Put milk/cream in and sit down infront of the telly shaking it like a lonely schoolboy.

lol

Martin
17-03-2011, 09:22 AM
We used to do this as kids with milk straight from the bottle. I had no idea that the homogenisation would prevent you from churning the butter out of it. You can get that really expensive Jersey milk from the supermarket which I reckon would work well.

Martin

dave budd
17-03-2011, 09:30 AM
it doesn't not work with supermarket milk, it's just easier and a better yield from proper milk that's all. best would be straight from the cow I reckon :)

Ben Casey
17-03-2011, 11:16 AM
I wont forget the meeting and a jar with milk in it :)

MikeWilkinson
17-03-2011, 08:48 PM
I do this quite a bit, Fresh double cream from the farm behind us, stick it in a jam jar and shake like crazy for ten minutes, pour of the buttermilk - like dave stick it soups and things. The butter is great, I prefer it unsalted though.

Think we got on to doing it after reading the river cottage family cookbook.