PDA

View Full Version : Sphagnum moss water filter

bigzee
14-03-2011, 07:43 PM
I recall a few years ago seeing on a tv programme (wild tracks or summat) on which someone was making use of sphagnum moss as a water filter. As I remember they used a cut-up pop bottle and filled it with alternating layers of moss and charcoal. Dodgy water was poured in from the top and through this combo to provide less dodgy water at the base.

Does this work? Has anyone tried it? Did I dream all this?...(bloody white cider!)

Martin
14-03-2011, 07:50 PM
No, you didn't dream it. You can also add a sand and gravel layer to further filter larger particulates. They teach this method at the Footsteps of Discovery survival school where the Cornwall RV is held every year. :)

Martin

Bambii
14-03-2011, 07:53 PM
No, i remember watching this on youtube a couple of days ago.

(Martin, you have twitter hahahaaahaha)

Martin
14-03-2011, 07:59 PM
No, i remember watching this on youtube a couple of days ago.

(Martin, you have twitter hahahaaahaha)

I've had Twitter since you were in nappies! Snotgobbler!!! :p

Martin

bigzee
14-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Hooray, there are bits of memory intact then! 'Scuse my botanical ignorance, but where might said moss be most prevalant, is it found on open moorland, or woodland, or.....what?

Martin
14-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Spagnum moss can be found anywhere wet. So both moorland and woodland. :)

Martin

Ashley Cawley
15-03-2011, 05:55 AM
Here is the video you're after. The Spagnum moss filter is 5:20 in the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TvE5jv4KPo

bigzee
15-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Thanks for digging that up for me Ashley. Judging by the picture quality and Ray's waistline that was a good few years ago! Useful info in the vid. It's a pity that the discarded plastic bottle is probably becoming more widely available than sphagnum moss these days though eh?