PDA

View Full Version : kuhkri blade

swkieran
14-03-2011, 06:58 PM
2 things,my blade has little nics and dings in it,i wanted to refurb it put a new edge on it,but on the other hand not damage or weaken it at the same time,any advice would be helpful,as you know the blades are quite thickish

2cndly sheath were can i buy a replacement one for when im out and about,because the original one is made from ivory,brass and is a work of art to nice to scratch or get broken.

hopefully with the right advice,i can get it working again chopping wood etc :)

CanadianMike
14-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Blade, can try using an axe stone or a file, or take it to someone that knows how to sharpen knives and they can sort out the edge.

Sheath, why not make one? Buy some thick leather (or Kydex, or whatever material you want), needed tools and got nuts on it.

Ben Casey
14-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Is it an original one if so thats cool some of the shops here sell them but unsharpened I spent two years working on one I had with a sharpening stone :) I need a new one now tho

Ben

swkieran
14-03-2011, 10:10 PM
thx guys i wouldnt know were to start mike,ben yeah its a genuine knife,when i was working doing house clearences,i picked it up then,it belonged to a british gurkha officer,his family only wanted the pictures and medals and were going to chuck the knife,so i rescued it and it takes pride of place with my grandads medals and souviners he picked up from the 2cnd world war :),but i intend to restore this beutiful work of art :),ben as your ex military man weve been thinking of trying to get a medal from the canadian army on behalf of him, obviously cause he sadly is no longer with us,hes got the british ones,to cut along story short he was in the british royal artillary,but joined or was drafted into the 1st canadian army along with a lot of other british lads to make up the canadian numbers.Do you think we would get anywere

swkieran
14-03-2011, 10:19 PM
be nice to honour my grandad,he was really proud of serving canada aswell,

Ben Casey
15-03-2011, 08:00 AM
thx guys i wouldnt know were to start mike,ben yeah its a genuine knife,when i was working doing house clearences,i picked it up then,it belonged to a british gurkha officer,his family only wanted the pictures and medals and were going to chuck the knife,so i rescued it and it takes pride of place with my grandads medals and souviners he picked up from the 2cnd world war :),but i intend to restore this beutiful work of art :),ben as your ex military man weve been thinking of trying to get a medal from the canadian army on behalf of him, obviously cause he sadly is no longer with us,hes got the british ones,to cut along story short he was in the british royal artillary,but joined or was drafted into the 1st canadian army along with a lot of other british lads to make up the canadian numbers.Do you think we would get anywere

Hi There if you try theses guys http://www.veterans-uk.info/index.htm they will point you in the right direction they deal with all Veterans (even me) LOL On there is a link to medals/pension and everything with numbers and addresses. You should be able to get all the info and advice you need there. You may need his Army details, if there is anything else I can do drop me a PM. But as family you should be able to get all sorts I hope this helps :)
Just been looking again and found this http://www.legion.ca/Home/Links_e.cfm it should hlp to. I was with the Canadian Army for a bit of time when I went to the UN in Cyprus they are a great bunch of guys :)

swkieran
15-03-2011, 09:55 AM
thank you ben :) ill keep you posted on the outcome

Ben Casey
15-03-2011, 11:33 AM
thank you ben :) ill keep you posted on the outcome

That will be nice :) I know it isnt a part of the thread but anyone who has served a day in the forces and recieved a days pay be it the Regs or TA can ask The RBL or SSAFA for help and advice also the Veterans Welfare Service website is there to. This is for the guys who have served at anytime and there direct family. For example Wives and children and they can be a god send at times I know as they have helped me a lot over the years. To that all Veterans are entiltled to priority treatment with the NHS for any recognised illness/disabilty due to service.

I hope it is okay to put that if not sorry :)

Ben

swkieran
15-03-2011, 12:29 PM
course its okay m8:),and thx once again for some sound advice

happybonzo
15-03-2011, 05:37 PM
I need a new one now tho
Ben

http://www.khukurihouseonline.com/

Ben Casey
15-03-2011, 06:50 PM
http://www.khukurihouseonline.com/

Hi Phil thanks for the link I have heard that they get stopped and held at customs do you know anyone who has ordered one from the UK?

happybonzo
15-03-2011, 07:51 PM
I cannot see any "good reason" that British Customs should stop a delivery. You could ask Khukri House. You may even get a sensible answer from them. To be honest, I just don't know
You could even ask C&E what the position is before hand. If you had something in writing and a parcel was dleayed you would at least have something to come back with
Heinnie Haynes sells all that sort of thing anyway but whether or not it as good as the Khukri House lot I wouldn't know
Ayo Gorkhali!

Ben Casey
15-03-2011, 09:54 PM
I cannot see any "good reason" that British Customs should stop a delivery. You could ask Khukri House. You may even get a sensible answer from them. To be honest, I just don't know
You could even ask C&E what the position is before hand. If you had something in writing and a parcel was dleayed you would at least have something to come back with
Heinnie Haynes sells all that sort of thing anyway but whether or not it as good as the Khukri House lot I wouldn't know
Ayo Gorkhali!

Cheers I will look into it :)

Ben Casey
16-03-2011, 10:00 AM
Hi all I have been doing some research and you can import the knives I'm going to put some info and link here with a Classification Code. The only bad thing I have found is that there are some dodgy compnaies who rip you of so I will do a test run and see what happens then let you all know what happens if yous all like?

Ben

Knives
Manufacture/sell/hire ‘Flick Knife’ or ‘Flick Gun’.

Source: Restriction of Offensive Weapons Act, 1959. Section 1(1).

Offence: It is an offence for a person to manufacture, sell, hire or offer for sale or hire or expose or have in his possession for the purpose of sale or hire, or lend or give to any person:

A) any knife which has a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife, sometimes know as a ‘flick knife’ or ‘flick gun’; or

B) any knife which has a blade which is released from the handle or sheath thereof by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal force and which, when released, is locked in place by means of a button, spring, lever, or other device, sometimes known as a ‘gravity knife’.

Powers: Proceedings should be by way of a summons only, unless any of the conditions of s.25 of PACE 1984 are satisfied.

Import

Source: Restriction of Offensive Weapons Act, 1959. Section 1(2).

Offence: It is an offence to import any knife as described in s.1(1) and sometimes known as a ‘flick knife’ or ‘flick gun’ and ‘gravity knife’

Powers: Arrestable offence.
Public Place
Source: Criminal Justice Act, 1988. Section 139(1).

Offence: It is an offence for any person, without lawful authority or good reason, to have with him in a public place, any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed except for a folding pocket-knife which has a cutting edge to its blade not exceeding 3 inches.

School Premises
Source: Criminal Justice Act, 1988. Section 139A(1).

Offence: It is an offence for any person, without lawful authority or good reason, to have with him on school premises any article to which s.139 applies.

Sell to under 16
Source: Criminal Justice Act, 1988. Section 141A

Offence: It is an offence for any person to sell to a person under the age of 16 any knife, knife blade, razor blade, axe or any other article which has a blade or is sharply pointed and which is made or adapted for causing injury to the person.

Powers: Proceedings should be by way of a summons only, unless any of the conditions of s.25 of PACE 1984 are satisfied.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/banned-restricted/illegal-weapons.htm
http://www.thekhukurihouse.com/Content/KH_Quality.php

Classification code 9307000000

Ben Casey
16-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Found this tonight http://www.bkcg.co.uk/products/manu/kukri/ss01k.html so when I have some money saved I will order one there :)