PDA

View Full Version : Walking staffs

Wildtraks
10-01-2016, 03:56 PM
Hi all
I've a number of poles drying so to make some walking sticks for family and friends, and looking for a bit of advice. Their birch and hazel and would like to keep the bark on. (Poles taken from land where I had permission to cut them)
How do you clean the bark?
Would you seal the bark and what with?
What finisher would you put on the sticks?
How and when would be way of taking bark off, (whilst green or dry)
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated on prep and finish

Rob

shepherd
10-01-2016, 04:07 PM
when i make my sticks i always use hazel, i leave the bark on. but sand down any burs or areas where twigs have been taken off.. i will fit a roe deer antler on the top and then i finish the stick with danish oil ... usually afew coats.. thats style i like and are all working sticks and last beating through woodland very well.. rough and ready but look the part..

Humakt
10-01-2016, 04:19 PM
When I made a walking pole (which I made from sweet chestnut) I kept the bark on the handle.
All I did to clean the bark was wipe it with a damp cloth.
I finished off the entire thing (including the bark covered handle) with a linseed oil. I gave the main part of the stave (when the bark had been removed) a good slathering with linseed oil - the handle just got a wipe over to bring out the colour. And then leave it to soak in and dry out.
Every few moths I give the whole thing a wipe over with a linseed oil soaked rag.
I've never had problems with it.

Wildtraks
10-01-2016, 05:39 PM
Thanks guys, Can you recommend somewhere to get antler/horn

SteveW
10-01-2016, 05:41 PM
Much as the others have said, I season for a year or so, then use a stiff brush to get rid of any lose stuff, then sand gently till smooth. You need to remove bits of branch with a sharp knife before sanding. I use a few coats of boiled Linseed oil to protect then.

SteveW
10-01-2016, 05:43 PM
If you only want a wee bit, try a pet shop, they are sold a dog chews, not the cheapest way to buy some, but you save on postage and get to pick just the bit you want.

Ehecatl
10-01-2016, 05:44 PM
Thanks guys, Can you recommend somewhere to get antler/horn

Pet shops. You can get really good bits if you look in the doggy chew section.

Some independent pet shops have large bins of antler so you rummage for a really good bit.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/antos-antler-chew

Wolfman Zack
10-01-2016, 09:58 PM
I generally use moosewood (a variety of maple) for my sticks, and always leave the bark on.

Work them roughly to shape removing limbs ect., then let season for a few months at the least.
After that you can do any final sanding and apply an oil finish.

rossbird
10-01-2016, 10:38 PM
Nice little vid from Woodlands TV

https://youtu.be/FzlAEtQBd5M

Wildtraks
12-01-2016, 01:03 AM
Yea nice video though I like the look of sticks with some curves/nobbles in them, kinda gives them some character. Where do you get your supplies from, ferrules, spacers etc
And are their patterns for handles??

Humakt
12-01-2016, 10:47 AM
...I like the look of sticks with some curves/nobbles in them, kinda gives them some character...

Agreed.
I don't like it if they're too smooth and straight either. Just look soulless and characterless.
Mine has a few bumbs and twists to it (but not overly so) and that makes it all the more appealing.

shepherd
12-01-2016, 10:54 AM
Agreed.
I don't like it if they're too smooth and straight either. Just look soulless and characterless.
Mine has a few bumbs and twists to it (but not overly so) and that makes it all the more appealing.

I also agree with this. I get my antler from the deer themselves when culled or if I'm after red deer antler there is a chap near me who farms them for meat. And the antlers need to be removed during the rut so no injuries etc. So are sawn off. These are usually given away