PDA

View Full Version : Winter walking boots.

rowantk
16-10-2015, 05:01 PM
After a good pair of winter waling boots. What makes are good at keeping toes dry and warm? I always get icey toes!

Silverback
16-10-2015, 06:16 PM
I'll stick to my usual advice

Ones that fit. Usually my winter boots are a size bigger to accommodate winter sock wear. Tight fitting boots invite frostbite (depending on location of course)

rowantk
16-10-2015, 07:27 PM
Ah yes, I assume the tighter fit will just suck the heat from your feet!

FishyFolk
16-10-2015, 11:57 PM

That is probably a factor, but the case is that a tighter fit will give you no room for insulattion, which is what you need. I.e a pair of thick, preferably felted wool socks, plus some good innsulating inner soles.
With those two things in place, just about any boot will do, as long as it covers youre other requiremnts for a boot.

Here in Norway I use the same walking boots year round. Mostly becoase I can't afford more than one pair.
But when I go to purchase I always wear my thickest felted wool socks over a thinner pair of wool socks, as two pairs is often necessary in winter.
So I purchase my winter boots with wearing thick socks in them in mind.

Silverback
17-10-2015, 10:46 PM

No, they restrict blood flow by being too tight (as well.as not leaving room for insulation as rune says) as they also restrict movement this also leads to a.restriction in blood flow which in turn stops blood from being kept at the correct temperature

rowantk
21-10-2015, 08:22 AM
Makes sense, thanks :)