PDA

View Full Version : any americans

swkieran
11-03-2011, 03:02 PM
i dont know if we have any on natural bushcraft,im planning to go to new jersey in a few years with a friend of mine,to have a look around were they filmed friday the 13th,were going to take our outdoors gear,whats the rules about camping out in this state etc,i guess looking at the film location its very much the same sort of weather we get in britain :)

Martin
11-03-2011, 09:33 PM
An interesting and unusual choice of place to visit. I don't know much about New Jersey except that the state capital is Trenton, it's the home state of Frank Sinatra (Hoboken) and it borders NY state.

To answer your original question though, we have at least a couple of american members, ShelterMe is from the Pennsylvania in Philadelphia which also shares a border with NJ. Then there's C.Lupus from Arkansas, which is much further south, and also OKBushcraft from Oklahoma which is in the middle somewhere. ;)

Why not drop them a PM and see what they suggest.

Martin

swkieran
11-03-2011, 09:54 PM
thanks for the names martin,ill try and find them and drop them a pm,dont know if you have ever watched friday the 13th,even if you dont like horrors youll notice that its filmed in a very foresty area :),im mad on those films but i got the idea of going from watching you tube videos people doing tours of the film locations and discovered it was actually filmed in blairstown and hope new jersey:),and not as i previously thought it that is was a mock up hollywood film set

Martin
11-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Sadly Kieran, I remember seeing it in the very early 80's. I even saw the third one, funnily enough called Friday 13th 3D, which was filmed in 3D when you had to wear the red and blue lens glasses in the cinema. I saw that at the Classic Cinema in Taunton in about 1982 or 1983. Ah, happy days. :D

Martin

swkieran
11-03-2011, 10:23 PM
that mustve been epic martin,especially watching it in the cinema :) the anticipation, massive screen and not knowing how its going to pan out,everyone going ewwwwwwwww and dont go in there lol.i was born in 81 remember some of the 80s hearing yazz and the plastic population and rick astley in every pub and fish and chip shop,garage,and kevin webstars moustauche

swkieran
11-03-2011, 10:26 PM
better more optamistic times :)

Martin
12-03-2011, 09:04 AM
better more optamistic times :)

Don't you believe it mate; massive unemployment, YOP schemes (look it up), miners' strikes, race riots, crap hair styles, dirty citys, poor health service... my god, I could go on and on. Believe me, we really never have had it so good.

Martin

swkieran
12-03-2011, 10:49 AM
i ment from the music and film point of view :),i dont really do politics but i reckon osbourne and cameron are 4 times as bad as thatcher just my opinion thou,its just people in britain wont wear it or take anymore crap from politicians,hence the debarcle over our woodlands being sold off.But like i said i rarely get into politics martin cause there all the same to me :)

jbrown14
12-03-2011, 10:36 PM
Hi swkieran,

I live in Upstate New York, about a 4-5 hour drive to NJ from here. Just a suggestion, if you want to get in touch with some guys who might know New Jersey and especially the laws about camping out in that state, you might post your question on the forum: www.viewsfromthetop.com Probably best to do it in the Q&A New England (http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)section.

If you ever decide to head up to New York State, there are actual mountains up here, and I'd be happy to help you out with any questions regarding our lovely state.

Best of luck!

Josh.

swkieran
13-03-2011, 12:03 AM
thanks josh :) i will have have a look tommorow as you proberly know its sleepy time in britain lol,new jersey looks like a fantastic place to visit :),just shows you how big america is 4-5 hours i can be well in the midlands just outside birmingam if i went north,if i went east i could be in london if i went west i could be in wales :)

swkieran
13-03-2011, 12:07 AM
birmingham even lol :) told you it was getting late lol

jbrown14
13-03-2011, 01:08 AM
You've got that right, even I am amazed at how big this country is. It took me 3 days of driving to get from here to Utah, and I once drove 42 hours straight (with little sleep mixed in) to go to my Grandfather's funeral in New Mexico. There's lots to see, both here in the north-eastern US, and all over, but we don't have moorland, or the White Cliffs of Dover, or much of the beautiful country that you enjoy over there. Visiting your island is on my "bucket list."

swkieran
13-03-2011, 01:51 AM
i love native american history always wanted to see were the battle of the little big horn and the sand creek massacre took place,you have a beutiful country josh and so vast and i hope to bump into tara reid when im over there :) we can dream i suppose :) lol,by the way white cliffs of dover arent white more a greyish colour lol,but dover has a fantastic castle,tunnels that run through the cliffs,i know this cause my younger brother lives there and i have a fair bit of family in kent,you would be orstruck by stone henge i would think :),the celts of england before the roman invasion erected the stone cirlcle

Piney
22-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Swkieran, I just joined the forum and live in southern New Jersey. Feel free to contact me. I will do my best to help however I can. Piney