PDA

View Full Version : Bens planned road trip

Ben Casey
10-03-2011, 08:57 PM
Hi Guys
Im looking at thinking and planning a road trip to start about mid June running for a month and covering as much as I can of the UK in that period. I would be setting of from here in Ipswich and the first stop would be Blandford Army camp. Then if it works out head across to Cornwall and have a night or two there then head North. Going up and around and coming back down South sort of along the East Coast.

My question is would it work to setup overnight points and meet ups on here and who could help or give advice.

Anyway in advance thanks

Ben

Martin
10-03-2011, 09:10 PM
Well, you would be sure of a warm welcome in Cornwall. Can't talk for the rest of country. ;)

Martin

swkieran
10-03-2011, 09:12 PM
brilliant idea ben :) ,ive always wanted to travel bum around the country of ours in a vw van lol.ahhhhhhh maybe one day :)

MikeWilkinson
10-03-2011, 09:14 PM
I could find you somewhere to stop oop north around wigan/bolton/blackburn - might have to be a wild camp, or if enough people want to come maybe organise a scout campsite.

comanighttrain
10-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Come up to Scotland! I know a few good spots (even a couple at sea level.....)

ether
10-03-2011, 09:57 PM
no way I grew up in Blandford, lived there till i was 18. Will you be on the actual camp or camping nearby, do you know Blandford well?

Sounds like a fun trip by the way

Ben Casey
10-03-2011, 10:20 PM
Hi all cheers for the replies :)
I will be at Blandford Camp for the Royal Signals reunion on the camp they have setup a campsite for the weekend I just hope they have some trees there for the Tarp LOL
Cornwall is a defo afterwards and I'm hoping to meet a load of you all at the Cornwall RV before so I will know a few faces to names by the time I get across on the trip.
Wigan/Bolton/Blackburn would be a great place to stop off, then time allowing I hope to hit the Lakes (Buschcarft Show) for the weekend and meet a few guys there and a couple of mates from FB.
Then up to Scotland sea level would be great if I have to choose bettween trying to climb a mountain (an Ex of mine from Stirling called them hills for some reason LOL)
I am hoping to take in Kielder water to as they have Bothies there that I may be able to book for a night or two.
I was hoping/planning to stop at Wales on the way up to the lakes but I don't know if time will allow but if not I could cut back over on the way down after stoppiing in the Dales for a night or two.
I don't know if Ken can make the trip but I have him penciled on the plans at the min and will see what he says due to commitments :)

Ken
11-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Can I come too?

comanighttrain
11-03-2011, 10:10 AM
Excellent! Let me know if/when your in Scotland and we can go a wander!

Ben Casey
11-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Can I come too?

Course you can mate I have you penciled in above LOL we will need to sort some dates out I was thinking of heading/satring over to Blandford for the 17/06/11 Then go on from there :)

Ben Casey
11-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Excellent! Let me know if/when your in Scotland and we can go a wander!

Will do mate going to sort a time line with Ken then put it on here :)

swkieran
11-03-2011, 02:31 PM
make a journal ben :),this is sounding like a epic trip,how you gettin around by foot bus and rail,or you taking yer car

Ken
11-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Course you can mate I have you penciled in above LOL we will need to sort some dates out I was thinking of heading/satring over to Blandford for the 17/06/11 Then go on from there :)

Sounds good to me mate. I for one can't wait!

Ken
11-03-2011, 04:23 PM
make a journal ben :),this is sounding like a epic trip,how you gettin around by foot bus and rail,or you taking yer car

I'll be keeping a journal. There will be plenty of stuff to write about!

Ben Casey
11-03-2011, 05:37 PM
I'll be keeping a journal. There will be plenty of stuff to write about!

Ken can do the journal (Thanks for volunteering) and if I can get my hands on one I will get a video cam aswell as the normal cams. So we should have some interesting stuff to post up after and maybe while we are doing the trip.
The trip will be by car due to time restrictions but I'm hoping to carry it on after and visit anywhere we may miss in a month.

Ben

paul standley
11-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Just turned green with envy guys...

Am rigging out my F. Lander with camp bed and custom rear-end tarp tent with the hope of breaking out for week's mini-road trip in the summer but a month, wow that is serious adventure.

If you can both make Wales for a night or two on your way back down then let me know, I'd be happy to take you to a very nice stealth camp spot in the Brecon Beacons (some trekking required) or else a nice half mile strole to a woodland valley 'semi-wild' camp on a farm by the river Aberdulais in the vale of neath.

I'll be pretty flexible through June.

Paul.

Ben Casey
11-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Just turned green with envy guys...

Am rigging out my F. Lander with camp bed and custom rear-end tarp tent with the hope of breaking out for week's mini-road trip in the summer but a month, wow that is serious adventure.

If you can both make Wales for a night or two on your way back down then let me know, I'd be happy to take you to a very nice stealth camp spot in the Brecon Beacons (some trekking required) or else a nice half mile strole to a woodland valley 'semi-wild' camp on a farm by the river Aberdulais in the vale of neath.

I'll be pretty flexible through June.

Paul.

Hi Paul thanks for the offer Im sure Ken and me will be over on the trip we are getting the invites and details together then make a plan then post it and hopefully all will be able to go with it :) Then we just need to get stuff together after that. I wish I had a landrover to do up I have been looking at prices of second hand ones and they seem to be right out of the window at the min but would be perfect for the job :)

Ben

Adam Savage
12-03-2011, 05:08 PM
soon as you have the POA post her up and I'll try and join you when you fly close enough if I can.

Ben Casey
12-03-2011, 05:11 PM
soon as you have the POA post her up and I'll try and join you when you fly close enough if I can.

That will be cool :)

Adam Savage
12-03-2011, 05:29 PM
That will be cool :)

I have an infrared camcorder too, so can capture the camp nightlife for all to see :evilgrin:

Ben Casey
12-03-2011, 10:27 PM
I have an infrared camcorder too, so can capture the camp nightlife for all to see :evilgrin:

That will be great I'm sure :)

Ben Casey
20-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Hi All Ken and me met up this afternoon and done a bit of planning so I will put an outline on here. If we are in your area on any of the dates then an invite to visit would be nice so that I could add it to the plan :) Then I will update my list and repost on here, also if it is ok I would put it in the site calendar?

We are going to try and raise some funds for charity on the way Ken has the details which I'm sure he will post on here soon. We have also put an event on FB so if any of you want the link let us know.
It might seem that we go North to come South to head back North but that is due to a meeting in Blandford so don't worry to much.

Road trip Prep 01/06/2011 04/06/2011
The Bush Craft Show 03/06/2011 07/06/2011
Drive to Wales 07/06/2011 11/06/2011
Drive to Cornwall 10/06/2011 18/06/2011
Drive to Blandford for Reunion 17/06/2011 20/06/2011
Drive to Scotland 20/06/2011 25/06/2011
Drive to North East 24/06/2011 26/06/2011
Drive to Yorkshire 27/06/2011 30/06/2011
Return to Ipswich 30/06/2011 02/07/2011

Any other tips or advice would be really helpfull that yous can give or tell us :)

Thanks in advance Ben and if it is ok I will say thanks for Ken to :)

Adam Savage
20-03-2011, 08:48 PM
I'll try and catch you for the wales leg and/or the yorkie leg if I can.

And for anyone that hasn't got the link from elsewhere on the site, for the bushcraft show 2011 here it is

http://www.thebushcraftshow.co.uk/

paul standley
20-03-2011, 08:52 PM
That is ideed a road trip fellas.....!

I'd love to meet up when you are in Wales and I'm pretty free 2nd week June so take this as your invitation for the Welsh leg, we can sort details later, I can do 2 days and 2 nights.

Cheers, Paul.

Ben Casey
20-03-2011, 08:53 PM
That will be cool Im sure we will meet up :) On one of the legs :)

Adam Savage
04-04-2011, 05:04 PM
We need a countdown clock for this journey of epic trekage lol

Ben Casey
04-04-2011, 06:43 PM
I think it has started mate just done a prep with Ken and everything went great I just need a new exhaust and four tyres now LOL

Adam Savage
04-04-2011, 06:47 PM
I think it has started mate just done a prep with Ken and everything went great I just need a new exhaust and four tyres now LOL

sounds good, looks like I won't be spending much time in a real bed this year. Off at the end of the month with BCUK for a quick meet, and organising a BCUK meet at my new site, with a possible NBC meet on the cards and eventually a Large scale event there with any luck. just waiting on the landy's nod and any ground rules he may have for groups

Ben Casey
04-04-2011, 07:14 PM
sounds good, looks like I won't be spending much time in a real bed this year. Off at the end of the month with BCUK for a quick meet, and organising a BCUK meet at my new site, with a possible NBC meet on the cards and eventually a Large scale event there with any luck. just waiting on the landy's nod and any ground rules he may have for groups

The wya it is going here I think I'm going to be out and about most of the year. The roadtrip with Ken then I have to get to France for October and at some point get over to Africa to meet up with a mate when he gets back from Iraq for a brew there :) Busy but fun

Adam Savage
04-04-2011, 07:21 PM
The wya it is going here I think I'm going to be out and about most of the year. The roadtrip with Ken then I have to get to France for October and at some point get over to Africa to meet up with a mate when he gets back from Iraq for a brew there :) Busy but fun

so not only out of the house, but out of the country LOL

Ben Casey
04-04-2011, 07:35 PM
so not only out of the house, but out of the country LOL

Hope to do a world road trip one day LOL

Adam Savage
04-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Hope to do a world road trip one day LOL

you're welcome to it. I'm happy to have good ol' Blighty to stomp across

Ben Casey
05-04-2011, 12:33 PM
you're welcome to it. I'm happy to have good ol' Blighty to stomp across

Im happy with good old blighty to but I do like to get around as much as I can anyway I have an update for the plan as it stands at the min :)

3rd till 6th of June BUSHCRAFT SHOW in the Lakes
Then Drive South so if anyone knows of a nice spot in Wales let me know will you?
10th till 14th June (approx) Visiting Ivans and hopefully see a few of you all there it may be extended.
17th till 19th June Blandford (Army Reunion Ken can have a tase of Army life LOL)

Thereafter still to be confirmed but heading up to Scotland so if anyone knows some spots we could stay at that would be cool :)
Then down through the North East see my Sis for a night and hopefully on down to see Adam and have a few nights there bugging Adam :)

Ben

Adam Savage
05-04-2011, 12:40 PM
Thereafter still to be confirmed but heading up to Scotland so if anyone knows some spots we could stay at that would be cool :)
Then down through the North East see my Sis for a night and hopefully on down to see Adam and have a few nights there bugging Adam :)

Ben

After meeting up at Ivan's, you might not want to risk any more time with me lol. Still waiting on landy for some confirmation on his woods but we can stealth it in the spinney no problem.

Ben Casey
05-04-2011, 12:48 PM
After meeting up at Ivan's, you might not want to risk any more time with me lol. Still waiting on landy for some confirmation on his woods but we can stealth it in the spinney no problem.

Im sure you will be okay mate you might do the running :D

comanighttrain
05-04-2011, 02:23 PM

Lots of places dude, lots of places :D depends what your after... Know a lot of good pine forests, lochs, rivers, mountains and seaside up down the West Highlands/West Coast.

I suppose your probably not used to the right to roam laws being from down south but chances are in Scotland if you cant see any houses and your not on a road then you can probably camp there. Some exceptions but they are generally well sign posted and alternatives are usually just on the other side of a fence. I think some of the few exceptions are historic sites and some of the national park areas

Ben Casey
05-04-2011, 04:07 PM
Lots of places dude, lots of places :D depends what your after... Know a lot of good pine forests, lochs, rivers, mountains and seaside up down the West Highlands/West Coast.

I suppose your probably not used to the right to roam laws being from down south but chances are in Scotland if you cant see any houses and your not on a road then you can probably camp there. Some exceptions but they are generally well sign posted and alternatives are usually just on the other side of a fence. I think some of the few exceptions are historic sites and some of the national park areas

That sounds great thanks we are I think hoping to find a spot where we can view the mountains near a Loch. I know Ken has some family from up North so i will need him to say the area we are heading in. If it was me I would just keep going up into the Highlands as far as I can get :)

Adam Savage
19-04-2011, 04:48 PM
Got the go ahead for a stop over at my little site, there might be up to 6 of the BCUK boys there if thats ok. Dates depending on when you can get there really. The BCUK guys will obviously want a weekend meet but if you can't do a weekend, either we can just have the site to the three of us (assuming Ken hasn't been arrested for something you've gotten him into) or if it's near a weekend just stop for a few days on top of the weekend, it's totally up to you guys.

Ben Casey
19-04-2011, 06:14 PM
That sounds cool mate it will be nice to meet as many as possible makes for more fun :) And what do you mean if I get Ken in trouble LOL The dates we are hoping to be near you is
Drive to Northhants/Adam 27/06/2011 30/06/2011 Meet up with Adam Yorkshire
But we can move it a bit forward or back as needed :)

Adam Savage
19-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Ok buddy, In the chatroom if your going in

Ben Casey
19-04-2011, 06:18 PM
Ok buddy, In the chatroom if your going in

Might try and get in ina bit as sorting some likt at the min :)

Adam Savage
19-04-2011, 06:23 PM
okie dokie mate, I might go find a dvd to watch before long LOL

Ben Casey
19-04-2011, 07:26 PM
okie dokie mate, I might go find a dvd to watch before long LOL

Ah ok mate I think you have gone now so enjoy the DVD :)

Ben Casey
09-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Hi Guys
Due to health and some unforseen circumstances I'm going to have to cancel the roadtrip for the planned time :(
I'm being moved back up North closer to family so I can get the rest of the treatment I need for my back.
I'm really sorry about this as I feel like I'm letting people down but I have to go along this route at the moment. It is still my aim to be active on the forum for the time being and at some point to get back out there in the woods again with you guys and at some point to do the roadtrip as it has been my aim for many years now :)

Ben

comanighttrain
09-05-2011, 02:55 PM
oh man sorry to hear that - what happened?

Get well soon bud!

Ben Casey
09-05-2011, 02:58 PM
It is something I have had for years with my back it is just the condition requires I be close to family for any future ops and stuff. Thanks for the wishes :)

Martin
09-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Fancy letting everyone down like that. :p

Martin

Only joking. Hope you get sorted really soon Ben.

swkieran
09-05-2011, 05:38 PM
sorry to hear that ben,life can be such a b at times,most important thing is youre health m8:),roads and places will still be there,all the best kieran

Adam Savage
09-05-2011, 05:42 PM
It is something I have had for years with my back it is just the condition requires I be close to family for any future ops and stuff. Thanks for the wishes :)

After all these ops, you'll be like the 6 million dollar man..."we have the technology"

Martin
09-05-2011, 07:33 PM
After all these ops, you'll be like the 6 million dollar man..."we have the technology"

Nah, Ben would be the 6 Million Dollar Wae'aye Man. :D

Martin

Ben Casey
09-05-2011, 08:13 PM

Martin

Cheers Lads LOL I keep looking around here and have to have everything boxed and ready to go for the 28th just got the call this morning it was all go.
It is the lsat move ever of homes now I will keep my rucksack packed tho as I'm not giving up not after all the decent guys I have meet on here :)

Fletching
09-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Hope things get better for you Ben. I saw my consultant again today. Might need to have another back op too.

I'm sure we have some members oop t' North, that might be up for a bimble sometime.

Steve :)

Martin
09-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Maybe a trip up to The Cheviot could be on the cards? Or maybe a bit further afield. I fancy spreading my wings a bit after spending too many years cooped up in the south. :)

Martin

paul standley
09-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Gutted for you Ben but Welsh Wales will still be here when you are ready for the road trip.

Paul.

Adam Savage
09-05-2011, 10:47 PM

Martin

LOL, on top form as usual I see Martin.

Ben Casey
10-05-2011, 08:45 AM
He is LOL