PDA

View Full Version : NIKWAX Waterproofing true test

beechnut mick
10-03-2011, 07:35 PM
I have recently purchased some Nikwax waterproofing to treat some of my kit during the coming wet spells.But before i applied it i thought id test it out to see what its made of.
I took an everyday teabag,sprayed 2 applications with the nikwax as recommended and left to air dry for 2 hours.i then submerged the treated teabag in a cup of hot water as if i was making a cup of the rosie and left to brew for ten minutes.When i returned to the beverage i discovered that the nikwax had worked and fully waterproofed the teabag leaving nothing more than a cup of hot water.
The vid will be posted on YT when edited so look out for it.

Martin
10-03-2011, 08:11 PM
What a brilliant test!! I'm a little bit scared that you actually thought of it, but a brilliant test nevertheless. I dread to think what test you'd come up with to prove your water purification method worked. :D

Martin

JonnyP
10-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Lol.. Nice one.. :0)

luresalive
10-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Really? I'm impressed. I've tried nikwax a few times before and always been left disappointed, I don't use it anymore.

bigzee
13-03-2011, 09:55 AM
Nice on Mick! Very scientific, and makes more common sense than treating a whole coat or whatever, and then to be disappointed. I think a bit of friction or a bit of dirt tends to undermine these treatments' longevity. How a bout a poncho made from sewn-together nikwax teabags (taped seams obviously) - waterproof,insulated with the added advantage of emergency rations!?

basicbushcraft
21-04-2011, 12:53 PM
i swear by the stuff great for jackets i use it every year b4 the winter months

jbrown14
21-04-2011, 01:23 PM
That's one of the greatest tests I've ever heard of. Brilliant!
My experience with Nikwax has not been good. I've used it a few times on my waterproof jackets and pants, but it didn't last very long. I've moved on to a couple of other brands since then, none of them live up to the hype.

happybonzo
21-04-2011, 03:14 PM
What a waste of a good tea bag. There's people in Africa who would etc etc :)

basicbushcraft
21-04-2011, 04:48 PM
lol agree :-)

luresalive
21-04-2011, 09:02 PM
That's one of the greatest tests I've ever heard of. Brilliant!
My experience with Nikwax has not been good. I've used it a few times on my waterproof jackets and pants, but it didn't last very long. I've moved on to a couple of other brands since then, none of them live up to the hype.

Yep, my thoughts exactly, just doesn't work for me at all, fabsil is better but still not great..

beechnut mick
15-05-2011, 08:27 AM
OK due to popular demand Waterproof teabags are now in production.Box of 40 qaulity WATERPROOF teabags now on sale for the bargain price of £2.00,perfect for canoeing trips or making a brew in wet weather conditions.PM me for details.