PDA

View Full Version : New Bushcrafter

ether
08-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Hello Everybody,

I'm new to the site, came across it after looking at some of the tutorial videos on youtube. Never really done any proper Bushcrafting before but decided I want to give it a bash.

I went out for a bit of a scout the other day and I think I've found a suitable site for spending a night outdoors. Lovely bit of woodland, hundred of deer tracks and poo everywhere, even saw a deer in the middle of the day after about an hour of being there!

Just after a bit of advice on sleeping arrangements. I've got a little tent i could use but the area where i'm thinking of camping is really rough ground so don't know if it would be possible to setup. Got a tarp i can use so would a tarp and hammock setup work or be too cold this time of year? or maybe Bivi and tarp?? what does everybody think?

thanks in advance

Fletching
08-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Hi ether and welcome! :)

I use both tent or hammock. If you know you're heading towards a forest, then hammock and tarp's the way to go (see advice on hammock cocoon from Ashley). Otherwise, tent and a quality mat are the dog's (look at the exped mats, but they're not cheap). As for temperature, get your woolies on. It's never too cold if you get the planning right. There's plenty of advice on the forum and I'm sure all the other guys will be delighted to help you out with their own advice and experience. Don't forget, it's all about enjoying the experience, not punishing yourself - there's plenty of survival blogs out there for that.

Steve

ether
08-03-2011, 10:41 PM
definitely prefer the idea of a hammock but wasn't sure if it was more of a summer thing, also a bit wary as i've never set one up before and had visions of it falling down in the middle of the night or sagging so that i was ended up laying on the floor :)

just having a look at some of the advice on hammocks now, thanks for the heads up

J_P
08-03-2011, 11:31 PM
Ive got a couple of hammocks but i prefer the ground tbh, as i find its better for watching wildlife, im off out this weekend and will probably go for a snugpack stratosphere hooped bivvy bag,exped down mat, alpkit down bag with snug pack thermalon liner and a light weight tarp from bison bushcraft , snug as a bug in a rug plus it all fits in a 35ltr sabre with everything else i need, well apart from the rum ration ;) packing light as ive got quite a yomp to the site.back to hammocks Snugpack do a hammock underblanket which is great for stopping the hammock cold arse syndrome too ;)

swkieran
09-03-2011, 12:15 AM
have an enjoyable time ether:)like most things preperation is the key and youll learn alot about which kit you will need or dont need the second time you are out,as steve said as youre sleeping in the woods,youre best off with a tarp and hammock combo, youll be warm from youre fire :) and a decent set of stuff to wear,talk to martin or ashley because they have camped on dartmoor in - temps.Also being youre first time make sure you tell or give co ords on a map to someone so if anything did happen youre not on youre own,other than that take enough food and water and light the fire or stove :) and enjoy youreself

Alba Albion
09-03-2011, 12:49 AM
Welcome. Tarp, bivvy & thermals for me :-) Enjoy.

Matt
09-03-2011, 07:38 AM
Hey bud,

I'd also suggest the tarp and hammock, and not forgetting you'll need an insulation layer in a hammock too at all times of year, a good roll mat would be ideal as it also gives you the option of the ground if all goes pear shaped.

Regards, Matt.

MikeWilkinson
09-03-2011, 09:08 AM
I'm with Matt on this one, Hammock and Tarp with a roll mat as the lower insulation, if you find you don't like it then you can setup on the ground as a simple bivi set up.

Ashley has got some nice simple tutorials on setting up hammock and tarps on the main website.

If your unsure of the whole hammock thing, then get a simple, relatively cheap hammock to begin with (make sure it is double layered though - makes life a little easier) DD hammocks do the scout and I think tenth wonder on e-bay do a similar product (the compact I think). Then If you do like it either look at getting a new super beast - DD frontline, or mod you basic one to suit your needs - Hammock forums will help with this as Matt will tell you.

Remember though, the sleeping out is just a small part of bushcraft - I don't get out half as much as I would like over night, but I do enjoy a few hours here and there doing a little 'craft' - Cordage, fire lighting by various methods, shelter building, carving/whittling. There is lots you can do without being out all night. So make the most of a good spot when you can (by the sounds of it deer spotting and tracking shouldn't be a problem)

Regards Mike

Sproutmuncher
09-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Welcome to the forum Ether, thats a good point about not needing to sleep out, there are loads of good spots near you where you can spend time practicing bushcraft. I quite often take my son into the New Forest just for the day, obviously campfires are a no no, but we practice shelter building, foraging, primitive trapping, wood carving etc. You have a great resource right on your doorstep

Martin
09-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Hi Ether, a very warm welcome to the NaturalBushcraft forum. Whatever you decide for your first outing, make sure you enjoy it and tell us all about it. :)

Martin

ether
10-03-2011, 10:43 PM
wow thanks for all the input guys, very helpful to have some input :)

Just got some basic kit eg mora clipper, firesteel and some paracord so going out this weekend to have a bit of a trial run. want to master the basic knots for setting up a tarp and hammock and make some tent pegs so i'll be more prepared when i do spend my first night out. seen the articles on hammocks and definitely think they're the way forward! got my eye on the DD travel hammock

Ben Casey
10-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Hi there from me to :)

Adam Savage
15-03-2011, 08:56 PM
I'm a little late as usual, but Hi there. How did the practice go or the night out (if you've managed to do it) with whichever choice of accommodation you made?

ether
20-03-2011, 11:31 PM
hello again everybody, i thought i would share some pictures that i took on recent day out to practice some bushcraft, picture were taken on my phone so aren't great quality. I'm still new to this so was very much experimenting with putting up tarp, tying knots, making tent pegs etc so here goes

https://picasaweb.google.com/107761708753035756959/Bushcraft?authkey=Gv1sRgCLr-jPariYmJkgE#

Adam Savage
20-03-2011, 11:40 PM
great pics. I use the same tarp, does me fine and cheap enough to replace when it eventually tears. Plenty of deer around as you say

ether
20-03-2011, 11:50 PM
thanks crazysaint222, do you find your tarp is fully waterproof for spending nights out?

Yeah lots of deer around its a really nice area but dont think i will go back as i think it may be private land. This is my major problem at the moment, just finding somewhere suitable to be able to camp out

Adam Savage
21-03-2011, 12:10 AM
I have found all the ones I have had so far waterproof, but being made in china (I think) the quality control can be hit and miss, the odd batch or two that come over could leak. Generally poly tarps won't leak until you can see daylight clearly through them.

It is a hassle finding places to go, especially in the tourist rich areas such as bournemouth, as all the landowners think you're only there to avoid paying for a campsite. It's worth looking at an OS map of your area, looking for the name of the farm nearest the wooded area you want to use, and writing them a polite letter asking if you could use a small part of their woods to practice shelter building with the possibility of over night camps. don't mention fires at first as they won't like that, leave it a good few weeks or a couple months if you can before asking, and always stick to any conditions they make.

hope that helps a little

Adam

LandRoverMatt
11-08-2011, 02:30 PM
hammocks keep u of the rough ground and are really nice for a good night sleep