PDA

View Full Version : The Camp loom.

MikeWilkinson
08-03-2011, 08:26 PM
I had a play with using a greaves style camp loom this evening, I have to say I'm quite impressed with the ease of use.

About twenty minutes of playing around and I manged to put together a good grass roll mat to go in the debris shelter on top of the debris bed.

Anyone else had a go at this?

fish
09-03-2011, 09:38 AM
any pictures?

MikeWilkinson
09-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Will try and get some pictures on the weekend, During the week I'm only out when iti is dark, I need to update the pictures of the debris shelter anyway.

MikeWilkinson
09-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Found this today, pretty much what I've been using and similar roll mat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS0aX8V2A6w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GMhkTA_ErQ&feature=related

Hope this gives you all a few ideas.

MikeWilkinson
10-03-2011, 08:09 PM
A quick view of the roll mat I made on the camp loom, Sorry about the quality was taken this evening.

luresalive
10-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Looks just the job, always thought of making one of these as a debris shelter door.

JonnyP
10-03-2011, 08:48 PM
Good thread Mike.
I liked what that guy said about making a sleeping bag from them.
What material did you use to make yours..?

MikeWilkinson
10-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Mine is made out of a load of old rosebay willow herb stalks, there is a massive patch of them near my shelter, just used the folding saw as a scythe and gathered a large bundle really quick.

Luresalive, I've had the same thought, also using larger sticks to make a pair of them - tie them off to posts and fill the middle with debris/soil to make a debris wall.
or make large numbers of them with thatch material and overlay them to make a quick thatch roof, tying them down to the roof beams.
Use cordage for the weft and tie off to the bottom warps each time to make a net hammock - or use sticks with lots of warps to make a stick hammock.

When you start thinking about it there is loads you can do with this - blankets, sleeping bags, nets, curtains/blinds, doors, the list is endless.

Have a go and post what you make here.

MikeWilkinson
17-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Made a door for the Debris shelter today using this, will get photos on the weekend. Works fairly well, although a good tight weave is needed to ensure there aren't any drafts, or double it up and stuff with debris maybe to make it a bit more watershedding.

MikeWilkinson
22-03-2011, 07:49 AM
Managed a few hours out with the dogs on Sunday, thought I'd get a few pics of the door made on the loom, simple swing hinge of two opposite forked sticks on one of the uprights and used my walking pole as a door stop.

Excuse the quality, only had my little point and shoot with me.

908 909 910