PDA

View Full Version : Another Tree Identification Help

Magicdave
07-07-2015, 07:43 PM
I've come across anther cropper. I think/hope it will be an easy one for anyone other than in my naivety. I got permission from the local cemetery to help myself to a very old cut down tree, as a result I have some massive bits of wood to work with, but again I'm struggling with what it is.

The still living tree beside it is the same, so I photographed it.

It is defiantly palmate in leaf structure (hey, eh. I learned something). At first I thought Sycamore, but as can be seen in the close up leaf photo the concave inner sections are curved, my research sows Sycamore should be sharply angled. So then I though Field Maple, but that is a massive long shot. And my research showed the tips should be curved but the leaf image shows them to be pointy. So I'm at a loss.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

rossbird
11-07-2015, 08:43 PM
Looks like a sycamore at first glance Dave.
A few things that would help; Are the leave alternate or in opposite pairs, are there any flowers or keys, is there a pinkish cast to the bark.

Tony

bikebum1975
11-07-2015, 09:49 PM
Looks more like maple to me.

rossbird
12-07-2015, 09:26 AM
I would probably agree bikebum, the tricky bit is deciding which Acer it is.

OakAshandThorn
12-07-2015, 05:18 PM
Norway Maple, Acer platanoides :).
https://gobotany.newenglandwild.org/species/acer/platanoides/

Very common street tree here in the Eastern US. It is European, but has become naturalised here.

David_JAFO
12-07-2015, 05:50 PM
hello,
We've got a few of these growing nearby where I live. Ones due to be felled so guess who's in there with the Bahco Laplander? :p Already a Sycamore down & being processed so WIP bow fire drill & board maybe a Kuksa as the piece of branch I have in mind ear marked is just the right size. Thanks for the I.D :wink:
Regards
David

rossbird
12-07-2015, 08:15 PM
^^ wasn`t aware we had a I D.
According to the Collins Tree guide, Norway maple (Acer platanoides) does not appear in Britain.

Blundstoned Love
12-07-2015, 09:28 PM
Not a Sycamore - leaves are wrong in shape and how they "hang".

Field Maple is a small tree with small leaves - at their biggest they would fit on - um, a rich tea biscuit (one of the cheap small ones).

My thought is Field Maple - widely planted as an ornamental - especially as an "estate tree" (country, rather than council) - hence found in cemetery.

According to the Collins Tree guide, Norway maple (Acer platanoides) does not appear in Britain.

Not as a native, but the are widley planted I assure you.

David_JAFO
13-07-2015, 05:15 AM
hello,
We have a number of non native species planted as both ornamental sometime ago & gifted to the area as part of a project in recent years *estate trees as per link details which were planted along both the avenue & a local project in the nearby area by both the local authority & the Countryside & Woodland Trust.
Regards
David

Not a Sycamore - leaves are wrong in shape and how they "hang".
Field Maple is a small tree with small leaves - at their biggest they would fit on - um, a rich tea biscuit (one of the cheap small ones).
My thought is Field Maple - widely planted as an ornamental - especially as an "estate tree" (country, rather than council) - hence found in cemetery.
Not as a native, but the are widley planted I assure you.

Magicdave
16-07-2015, 08:40 PM
Thanks for all the info. I've been real busy lately, I'll need to take it all in and get back out to check it out. I did stumble across something that indicated some sort of maple of the leaf pattern, but I have it bookmarked ready to look further into.

However, sadly most of the cut down tree is cracked, or cracks very quickly when the bark is removed. But what I can use has some of the most beautiful grain/spalting. I'll post some bowl/spoon pics soon.