PDA

View Full Version : Hobo Fishing

David_JAFO
03-07-2015, 11:17 AM
hello,
I was viewing this link on YouTube hobo fishing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXEcZZvLB8Q does anyone recognise the type of float being used as part of the set up? I've been asked by a fellow Bushcraft mate looking for small fishing float suggestions *more so the type of float within the link. I'm unsure :confused2:
Regards
David

ian c
03-07-2015, 10:43 PM
David in the video it looks like a balsa float also he does say that its a 2 bb float.

David_JAFO
04-07-2015, 02:26 PM
hello,
Thanks ian c .
Regards
David
T^

Peaks
05-07-2015, 09:33 AM
Hello David,
Seems like a bargain...........
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005Q0I024/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00BAZO4WE&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=114526V3PCCMEF124RSN

David_JAFO
05-07-2015, 10:36 AM
hello,
Peaks thanks for the heads up link. I'm going to pop in visit my friend in town at the angling store see what's available to replenish my hobo fishing kit.
Regards
David
*Edited Midas I picked up a complete set 1 of each size via a friend through the angling store same type as per your input. Going to share them with another Bushcraft forum member this week.

Hello David,
Seems like a bargain...........http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005Q0I024/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00BAZO4WE&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=114526V3PCCMEF124RSN

shepherd
05-01-2016, 04:52 PM
enjoyed the vid... i bought a hobo fishing kit off 'fish' off this forum years ago and ashamed to say iv never used it... not that i would anyway as its illegal :p haha... ill make sure i 'dont' use it soon haha....

TarHeelBrit
06-01-2016, 06:03 AM
enjoyed the vid... i bought a hobo fishing kit off 'fish' off this forum years ago and ashamed to say iv never used it... not that i would anyway as its illegal :p haha... ill make sure i 'dont' use it soon haha....

One like this? I bought mine from fish's US partner and used it out at Umstead state park after checking NC fins & fur regulations and had a great time fishing off the bridge. I landed a nice 2-3lb Bream with it on a tiny cork bobber and bread wrapped round the hook, a few pieces of bread to temp them and then cast and he grabbed the hook almost instantly. I can recommend you 'don't' use it again soon...great time without a rod.

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt342/MalcolmAK/01be2590178aa3eebf8b536dc49f7c45_zps238feb6f.jpeg

Sorry for the stock photo, my camera has decided to die on me.

David_JAFO
06-01-2016, 01:36 PM
hello,
I believe you :p I've never had any problems using my hobo reels (touch wood for luck). There are a few spots that 'are' monitored nearby but I don't go anywhere near there. I was out with some lads & their carers last year teaching Bushcraft skills hobo fishing using plastic bottles tin cans etc.. took along my wooden reels for use & as a demo. I'm replenishing my hobo reel kit & looking for some proper peacock quill floats for another Bushcrafters tackle box, I'll have to pop across to the fishing emporium check their stocks soon.
Regards
David

shepherd
08-01-2016, 04:12 PM
One like this?

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt342/MalcolmAK/01be2590178aa3eebf8b536dc49f7c45_zps238feb6f.jpeg

yes that exact one :)

and spot on david,,, i shouldnt think id have much bother 'round here.. but you never know! as you say - "touch wood!"

David_JAFO
09-01-2016, 02:11 PM
hello,
Shepherd when I go out to hone my skills or know I'm going to be near some good fishing spots, I occasionally carry my hobo reel. I was only stopped once on a stretch of the Clyde a long-time ago, the Park Ranger was interested in the hobo reel, why I was using it, he hadn't seen one was very curious. I gave him a demo & as always 'catch & release' he allowed me to carry on without issue. Most places I go for Bushcraft are out in the sticks a few reservoirs & burns which aren't monitored.
Regards
David

shepherd
09-01-2016, 07:47 PM
hello,
Shepherd when I go out to hone my skills or know I'm going to be near some good fishing spots, I occasionally carry my hobo reel. I was only stopped once on a stretch of the Clyde a long-time ago, the Park Ranger was interested in the hobo reel, why I was using it, he hadn't seen one was very curious. I gave him a demo & as always 'catch & release' he allowed me to carry on without issue. Most places I go for Bushcraft are out in the sticks a few reservoirs & burns which aren't monitored.
Regards
David

thats cool, and lucky he wasnt a jobs worth! ... ill only be using it in spots where im the gamekeeper at first so im sure i wont tell myself off!... but may have to be abit stealthy when im else where!

ian c
09-01-2016, 08:23 PM
I have used my Hobo kit quite a bit and most of the places I have used it have been in the middle of no where, I have used hand lines when on deployment or exercises and would always have one in my kit even now I am a Civvy.

shepherd
10-01-2016, 09:49 AM
I have used my Hobo kit quite a bit and most of the places I have used it have been in the middle of no where, I have used hand lines when on deployment or exercises and would always have one in my kit even now I am a Civvy.

what sizes of fish have you dealt with on a hobo line mate?

David_JAFO
10-01-2016, 06:53 PM
hello,
Shepherd it's the Anglers Federation that stock the rivers that have more of a gripe. The stretch of water nearby I avoid it has been netted by Polish Immigrants eating the Pike stocks near depleted in some areas, there's loads of notices up in both English & Polish about fishing. My favourite runs are off the Scottish rivers from the East the Almond, Calder, to the West the Clyde, & Avon they're mostly burns (streams) with wild Brown Trout & Salmon. I always like to hone the hobo (hand reel) fishing in a knowledge that if I'm in need of sustenance I have the ability to catch a fish using this method & self made lures. One of the best laughs I had this is true BTW.. was a old poacher I knew by the name of Arthur. He took his grandson young Tam on a Salmon poaching trip up on some Scottish river up North. Arthur forded the river to a better spot & left young Tam on the opposite bank playing. He was sitting on Arthur's Barbour Jacket & along came the Gamekeepers. They enquired what young Tam was doing on his own? he pointed across to Arthur who was trying to hide his poaching rod etc.. & young Tam pulled back the Barbour jacket & revealed a couple of large Salmon he told the Gamekeeper, "He was keeping them warm for his Papa.." :p The Gamekeepers were laughing & summoned Arthur over they let him off with a caution for giving them such a good laugh.
Regards
David

that's cool, and lucky he wasn't a jobs worth! ... ill only be using it in spots where im the gamekeeper at first so im sure i wont tell myself off!... but may have to be abit stealthy when im else where!

Peaks
10-01-2016, 07:56 PM
Great story :;)

ian c
10-01-2016, 08:25 PM
Hi Shepard I have had anything from a gudgeon to trout also use my hand lines for sea fishing as well and I have had mainly mackeral but have been very lucky and caught a lobster on a hand line as well, the biggest I have had was a salmon and that weighed about 12lb, I use mackerel traces when I know they are about and have had good results.

shepherd
12-01-2016, 11:04 AM
Haha that's brilliant David :happy-clapping:

We also had a problem with some polish chaps at my spot. They were catching carp in some of our ponds and knocking them on the head and taking home for supper - big carp that were strictly catch and realise. Some very big ones too! The local lads who had been catching them for years were furious. We spoke to the polish lads and they had no idea they were doing anything wrong and have now stopped. They were very apologetic. Can't say I fancy eating a muddy mirror carp mind you!

shepherd
12-01-2016, 11:05 AM
Hi Shepard I have had anything from a gudgeon to trout also use my hand lines for sea fishing as well and I have had mainly mackeral but have been very lucky and caught a lobster on a hand line as well, the biggest I have had was a salmon and that weighed about 12lb, I use mackerel traces when I know they are about and have had good results.

That's awesome. This threAd had made me very eager to get out with my hobo line now!!