PDA

View Full Version : settin squirel snares?

bushcraft.mcf
08-03-2011, 03:47 PM
hi im wondering if anyone has any tips on setting squirel traps?

thanks mark.

JonnyP
08-03-2011, 03:54 PM
No, but I do own a squirrel trap, so I would be interested to hear how it works..
It works with rats, and thats what I am using it for at the mo..

Tony1948
08-03-2011, 04:04 PM
JonnyP, Try putting you'r nuts in the trap and see wot you get.LoL.................DONT GET EATON BY THEM BEARS..............atb..........TONY

J_P
08-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Squirrel poles are your best bet what you do is rely on the squirrels laziness, a squirrel will always take the easy route into the trees so find out where they are and get a long pole, birch is ideal and lean it up against where they are climbing, they will soon start to use it as a way up, when you start to see them using it or see the scratch marks in the algae on the bark then set snares all the way up it at different angles and about 4 fingers from the pole but leave a long leader on the snare and tuck it under where you attach it to the pole this then means when you snare the squirrel and it throws its self from the pole it will hang and not get a purchase on the pole enabling it to chew through your snare, you can bait it with a big dollop of peanut butter thats a good rodent bait. Thats the best way to describe it its obviously easier to demonstrate it but you get the gist....

bushcraft.mcf
08-03-2011, 05:39 PM
thanks j_p i'll look it up:D