PDA

View Full Version : Eating Sized Spoon

Magicdave
04-04-2015, 08:43 PM
I decided to step up a size and struggled, a little, when starting with a knife. So I taken the meat cleaver I use to split wood and used it like an axe to do the initial carving. Needless to say I had a lot of fun making this spoon.

I'm still experimenting with shapes, I think thats what I like most about spoon carving. There is so much you can do with shape and form.

ian c
04-04-2015, 09:18 PM
That is a nice looking spoon with a nice grain, also like the way the bowl of the spoon sits below the handle.

Magicdave
04-04-2015, 09:29 PM
Thank Ian, I'm sill harvesting the same fallen tree as mentioned in another thread. So it looks like it is most probably sycamore. Ash has also been suggested. Through my research, with my minimal knowledge, I was favouring Sycamore but stumbled across an image of an Ash trunk that had bark different to what I normally see in pictures and a touch more like how this started. So spring will tell.

I like the dropped bowl thing too. I'm really going to work on this feature.

OakAshandThorn
04-04-2015, 10:32 PM
T^ I like the design...mine are all straight handled unless the grain curves. :p

Magicdave
04-04-2015, 11:00 PM
I like the design

Thanks, I do like it, but I see it as a stepping stone to something, there's stuff in here I like and stuff I like where it is going. Initially I was working off inspiration from, memories of, one of those modern tasting spoons. Hence the elongated bowl, but then I started thinking other things I noticed while working with an axe (cleaver) for the first time while carving. So it got a bit mixed up.

...mine are all straight handled unless the grain curves.

It's interesting you say that. I created a number of monstrous spoons over the last week or so while trying to let knots and curves decide the shape. Binned, binned, binned etc. etc.

I've taken a lot of knowledge from this little video by Barn Carder. It's almost as if theres stuff written between the lines of the video. So I've really been looking at what can be done with shapes in relation to strength. I've made a lot more spoons that I have snapped in strength testing than I have completed.

I think the spoon he shows at 5:30 is probably the most beautiful piece of woodwork in relation to aesthetics, engineering and design I have ever seen. Not to forget technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acKcNpDz_Vw