PDA

View Full Version : Long Distance Walking

robin
06-03-2011, 01:30 PM
I am off to Ireland soon to spend some time walking and living outdoors. I am looking to do about 300km over a period of two to three weeks and was wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks to help with traveling daily on foot for this length of time.

beechnut mick
06-03-2011, 03:38 PM
yp put one foot in front of the other is the best advice i can give for walking,still practising it myself.other than that make sure you blog it so we can all share the trip,sounds like an adventure so enjoy.

JonnyP
06-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Good fitting and well worn in boots with two pairs of socks. (Bridgedale trekkers and liners are the best combo imo ).
Keep well hydrated and keep something sugary with you.
Keep it minimal..
Have a good time.. :0)

beechnut mick
06-03-2011, 04:04 PM
yh like JonnyP says,i knew there was more to walking

JonnyP
06-03-2011, 04:42 PM
yh like JonnyP says,i knew there was more to walking

He wouldn't be going anywhere without your advice though.. :0)

Kiltie
06-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Best bit of advice I got before doing the West Highland Way-pick a nice hill with a nice flattish slope on it, stand well back from it and imagine there is a big circle drawn on the side of that hill, pick out markers on the hill for that circle, then walk that circle, you will be going up and down, this will rapidly tone every part of your legs and torso-worked for me, only suffered blisters, like Jonny says its the right combo of socks and well worn boots that will keep your feet in good trim.