PDA

View Full Version : Survival hook advice

Magicdave
02-03-2015, 05:47 PM
I have, close to, zero fishing experience. I've been doing a bit of research into hooks and line, and as I thought might be the case, different hooks have different purposes.

I'm hoping to get some information relating to what would make the best overall, size/type, basic survival kit fishing hook. In my mind I have:

It has to hold the fish, it's not for sport.
It has to catch any size fish, within reason, if this is possible?
It should probably be fresh water orientated, due to where I go. But versatility would be great.

I'd love to hear reasons too, I have an overworking mind and anything worth research would be great.

David_JAFO
02-03-2015, 07:13 PM
hello,
In my experience depends where your practicing your survival Bushcraft skills? River, Pond, course fishing IMO you have different types of hooks from Sea fishing, unless your fishing on a tidal estuary near the sea where both types or lures can be used (I won't complicate matters). Everyone to their own but I usually carry in my hobo fishing kit size 12 & 14 hooks & hooks to nylon which I've found satisfactory for both Trout & Salmon mainly Trout various sizes. In practice catch & release. Why not try making your own hooks from what's available? I've made fishing hooks from ring pulls off cans, safety pins, wood, thorns, sewing needles, & pieces of bone.
Regards
David

Magicdave
02-03-2015, 07:30 PM
In practice catch & release.

I think this is my biggest concern at the moment. I discovered that there was a difference (not sure what yet) between catch and release and catch and eat hooks. For where I go, it's definitely going to be rivers (flowing and still if that makes a difference) and lochs/lochens.

Is a single, compromised, hook for general purpose a reality?

Magicdave
02-03-2015, 07:41 PM
Wow, David!!! I just took a second/closer look at your picture. That's some fine work there, especially the one on the left of the image.

ian c
03-03-2015, 08:13 PM
Just remember that big hooks will catch big fish and small hooks will catch small fish and big fish, the smallest hook I carry in my kit is about size 18, I pre tie my hooks to nylon and the lowest breaking strain line I use is about 4lb.

Magicdave
04-03-2015, 08:21 AM
Just remember that big hooks will catch big fish and small hooks will catch small fish and big fish

Nice, I like that. And thanks for the info.

Dreward
04-03-2015, 02:43 PM
Ask a Course Fisherman...particularly Carp Fisherman about bait presentation, fish habits, natural food, etc and they will give you an encyclopedia of info on the subject. This will also give you an idea of the role the size of the hook plays in catching your quarry, thus, the whole range of different hook sizes for different fish. If you know the general type of fish found in the area you are you will be able to select accordingly. Hope this helps....Have Fun....

David_JAFO
04-03-2015, 05:49 PM
hello,
ian c quote, "big hooks will catch big fish and small hooks will catch small fish and big fish, the smallest hook I carry in my kit is about size 18, I pre tie my hooks to nylon and the lowest breaking strain line I use is about 4lb." Aye you can land some big fish on anything between 4lb & 8lb test line goes on how you play the fish. I had an assortment of hooks & down sized. I'm heading to see my friend over the weekend got a demo in Glasgow some celebs coming into the store, so hoping to replenish my hobo kit.
Dreward quote, "If you know the general type of fish found in the area you are you will be able to select accordingly. Hope this helps...." where I practice Bushcraft/survival skills it's mainly wild Brown/Rainbow Trout & Salmon. I always return what I've caught testing the effectiveness of hand made lures or just hook & worm.
The humble safety pin has many uses incl' fishing hooks I've cut, honed, & sharpened using only a lighter & a SAK or Leatherman from survival tin to fishing line in a short time or prepped before hand.
Regards
David

Magicdave
05-03-2015, 12:05 PM
Ask a Course Fisherman...particularly Carp Fisherman about bait presentation, fish habits, natural food, etc and they will give you an encyclopedia of info on the subject.

Thanks, On the back of this I decided it made sense to research a bit more than kit. I think I could make get into a bit of fishing. Does anyone know, if I had a permit for a river is it allowed to fish with a hobo kit rather than all that cumbersome rod and equipment?

Peaks
05-03-2015, 12:36 PM
In the UK for inland waters you need to use a rod - lot of info on Environment Agency website.

I don't do much fishing, but when I do I use one of these - please note they are not the same as other mini telescopic rods that are available over here. http://penfishingrods.com/shop/index.php The design of the website is a bit out of the norm, but worth exploring. They are also very responsive to emails + very helpful. I've no affiliation etc, just a very satisfied customer.

As ever there is a wide range of opinions about how good/useless they are. I find them pretty good. The cheap copies are not good at all - have tried both and there is no comparison

Hope this is of some help

Peaks
05-03-2015, 08:42 PM
This might be of interest........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMD1HeSH0E0

Magicdave
05-03-2015, 09:12 PM
Thank you very much, that is an excellent video and it's good enough for me.

Thinking of the law. If I buy a fishing rod and use it that's great. If I am an expert fishing rod maker, make a rod and use it, that's also great. So home made rods are definitely legal. Coming to poor craftsmanship, if I make a home made rod and it's terrible (but is a rod) and get told not to use it, then that's discrimination. Now just to do a little research. I.e. minimum length, diameter etc.

Dreward
06-03-2015, 11:05 AM
Fishing Rods in the past were made of split bamboo cane that was then assembled in a hexagon fashion...It was a worthwhile skill to have and some I imagine still exist hidden in peoples lofts that belonged to their grandparents....

Peaks
06-03-2015, 11:30 AM
Quite a lot of old fishing rods in antique/vintage/junk shops........

Magicdave
06-03-2015, 01:10 PM
Fishing Rods in the past were made of split bamboo cane that was then assembled in a hexagon fashion I had a de ja vu moment reading that. I must have seen this on a documentary, or somewhere, at some time.

http://penfishingrods.com/shop/products.php?category_id=13 have almost no products available. It may be a site problem or maybe stock? Do you remember how much the pen rods here sold for?

Tigger004
06-03-2015, 03:38 PM
Get a mixed size hook pack, they don't weigh much or take up much room,

As kids we used to have a complete fishing kit in a Altoids tin with the old stick on door draught excluder as a fish hook rail inside and loose floats, weights and Line,

Mr Fish on this here forum makes hand lines for sale (or used to) - look for his posting

Peaks
06-03-2015, 03:49 PM
Magicdave - Think Penrod Extreme are re-stocking - see their home page. http://penfishingrods.com/shop/
Saw somewhere else on the net that they also have had a family bereavement and have been closed.

It was a few years ago when I bought mine, but think the prices including shipping then was well under £35. Honestly can't remember but it may may been less than that.

I've also sent you a pm.

Magicdave
06-03-2015, 07:40 PM
Thanks again, I read through the page, I suppose it should have first time round. I'm going to keep an eye on what and when they come out with something new.

Magicdave
06-03-2015, 07:41 PM
Get a mixed size hook pack, they don't weigh much or take up much room

From what I've been looking at it does seem like the best solution, thanks.

Magicdave
24-03-2015, 07:50 PM
This is an excellent video, Mors Kochanski sort of mentions that a size 10 hook is kind of universal. That's not a quote, watch the video, it's a wee gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q_6AynyT2Y

midas
24-03-2015, 09:44 PM
Remember your fish hooks will catch pheasants n the like if suitably baited.

Magicdave
24-03-2015, 09:52 PM
Remember your fish hooks will catch pheasants n the like if suitably baited.

Oh, nice. I won't forget it.

ian c
24-03-2015, 10:50 PM
Just remember that to use a hook to catch a pheasant or any other bird is only to be used in a survival situation, I have used them to catch ducks and pheasants in the past.

midas
25-03-2015, 09:57 AM
Just remember that to use a hook to catch a pheasant or any other bird is only to be used in a survival situation, I have used them to catch ducks and pheasants in the past.

If no hook thread berries on a piece of line,(spaced),anchor to tree.pheasant gobble up "string of beads"into crop and are anchored.
Then there is the little "dunces cap" make a cone out of leaf.place bait in point of cone scatter berries,if your lucky bird gets cone stuck on head.n one is able to pick it up.
Surprised no one going down the "Tickling Trout line????????"

David_JAFO
25-03-2015, 04:21 PM
hello,
I used to 'Guddle' or tickle Trout when I was a lad. The burn (stream) near where I lived, the last time I visited was polluted, this run was from the river Almond. I remember the pipe that came out from the old pit (mine workings) we called that pond the 'Pipey' used a pond dipper net which came with a length of gardening cane or improvised a foot cut from a pair of nylon tights stretched out using a length of twisted copper wire fitted to the garden cane end to catch Minnows/Sticklebacks for fishing bait, or as a kid kept them for a while in a jam jar. Anyway as a kid 7 or 8 years old, I thought the small fish in the burn were Minnows/Sticklebacks until an old poacher I knew told me they were Rainbow Trout. He showed me how to 'Guddle' or tickle the Trout. Due to the small area & depth of the burn they were easily extracted. A stretch known as Damside still part of the run off from the Almond, all you had to do was place a garden spade in the burn, at the depth of the spade no deeper, this blocked the swim & Rainbow Trout were extracted by hand. The other methods of catching game mentioned within the thread using fishing line threaded with bread or berries Hansel & Gretel style, I was taught such in the Forces on Escape & Evasion training.
Regards
David

midas "Surprised no one going down the "Tickling Trout line????????"

Midge_Fodder
17-04-2016, 10:58 PM
Fishing Rods in the past were made of split bamboo cane that was then assembled in a hexagon fashion...It was a worthwhile skill to have and some I imagine still exist hidden in peoples lofts that belonged to their grandparents....

I actually have and still fish some of those.

David_JAFO
18-04-2016, 04:27 AM
hello,
I was in our local charity shop after a friend told me about some fishing reels on sale he spotted. I spotted some rods in a stand lo & behold some proper Hardy Fishing® cane rods price tag £7.50p. I had a chat with the charity shop boss, he didn't realise the value of these. They were in very good condition all they required was a dust down & they were as good as new. Suffice to say they were sold in no time with a new price tag.
Regards
David

I actually have and still fish some of those.