PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone found THE knife

Notredame11211
04-03-2011, 03:17 AM
Lets face it, different knives work for different people, some would be far more comfortable unsing a bowie knife in the woods than a puukko. In my opinion, The only real way to find the best design for you is through trial and error.

Has anyone here found THE perfect bushcraft knife for them, the one that will do everything you need with ease and quenches the thirst for another blade related purchase. just like Ray with his woodlore or Mors with his mora.

Have you found yours?:D

JEEP
04-03-2011, 06:32 AM
I have a few knives that I am quite fond of, like my Eräpuu 202 and my 8" Strömeng Leuku. But, I don't think there is something like the knife for me. Different knives serve different purposes.

luresalive
04-03-2011, 07:52 AM
just a knife then it's the Mora 510, but it is often paired with my Leuku...saying one knife will cover every eventuality is like saying one fishing rod will cover all situations, and you can't go deep sea fishing with a fly rod!

jbrown14
04-03-2011, 11:24 AM
... and quenches the thirst for another blade related purchase.

I don't think that's a thirst that can be quenched in me. Because of finances, I'll go a while without purchasing a new blade, but I don't see a future without new knife purchases because I've found "the one." I'm like Jakob, different blade for different situations.

Zam
26-04-2011, 10:09 PM
Mora Triflex (http://www.bensbackwoods.com/servlet/Detail?no=597) (yes I'm a beginner, no expensive knife for me yet) coupled with a folding saw (http://www.knifebuy.com/vcom/product_info.php?cPath=154&products_id=2080) for the heavy duty tasks. Whenever I go out if I can't pick between my knifes (i own some Muelas, Opinels, Gerbers and Moras) I instinctively grab my Triflex. The thirst for buying new knives is always there, but I always come back to my Triflex...

basicbushcraft
27-04-2011, 08:21 AM
i got loads of knives. But i use a Woodlore Knife made by Alan wood but still carry a Mora clipper with as they seem to have never let me down

fish
27-04-2011, 09:27 AM
whilst i have many knives both bought and made ,i still begrudge the fact that the frosts clipper is perfect ,i just hate plastic handles etc but it does everything so well,and the horrid handle is both ergonomic and slip free,the blade keeps an edge very well and is a good size for all tasks,maybe a little thin for battoning,but all that said i butchered a whole deer with one,all for under £10.00 are there better knives? probably,are there prettier knives? definitely,but its just does everything i need except being flash.

comanighttrain
27-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Leatherman Wave - Its not the prettiest, toughest or largest knife I have but it is definetely the most useful!

jus_young
27-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Leatherman Wave - Its not the prettiest, toughest or largest knife I have but it is definetely the most useful!

I'll second that one. The wave just keeps getting taken out for different tasks. Still like the clipper for everyday bashing about and scout activities in the woods so I will have to agree with fish on that one. And I am still playing with my Dave Budd special as it just feels right but is too nice to use too heavily at the moment.

Yep... I will agree with everyone else as well, there just does not seem to be THE knife!