PDA

View Full Version : Also looking for boots!

Ranger
28-01-2015, 05:46 PM
Heyyo! I really need a new pair of boots for plinking around in the woods in Florida. So I need boots that are:
-not too heavy
-not insulated too much
-waterproof
-durable
So these will be in a hot environment and originally I was going for high jack pyke hunters boots or bates military boots, but I am unsure now, but if it is a high boot and has ankle support without a lot of insulation then I will be happy. Also, it would be a plus to be sub $100 as most military surplus ones are 50 and below.

OakAshandThorn
28-01-2015, 09:56 PM
Ooooooh...that's a bit tricky. It is hard to find good high boots that are lightweight. With the military surplus ones, you may find that they tear up your tootsies. My uncle's Viet Nam issue boots rubbed his feet raw :eek:. Then again they might be quite comfortable. A lot depends on how old they are and from what country's military.
The problem you will face with waterproof boots in a hot, humid environment is that your feet will sweat buckets and you can end up with a bad case of athlete's foot. That happened to me last summer, and my 3 season boots are mid-cut Timberland Mt. Maddsen Earthkeeper's...and yes, they are waterproof.

Ranger
29-01-2015, 10:14 AM
Ooooooh...that's a bit tricky. It is hard to find good high boots that are lightweight. With the military surplus ones, you may find that they tear up your tootsies. My uncle's Viet Nam issue boots rubbed his feet raw :eek:. Then again they might be quite comfortable. A lot depends on how old they are and from what country's military.
The problem you will face with waterproof boots in a hot, humid environment is that your feet will sweat buckets and you can end up with a bad case of athlete's foot. That happened to me last summer, and my 3 season boots are mid-cut Timberland Mt. Maddsen Earthkeeper's...and yes, they are waterproof.
Oh that's a bummer! So with military surplus I would want to wear much in the way of socks? Hmm, and should I revise waterproofness and start looking for boots with ventilated holes on the side, or just be careful with how much I walk?

OakAshandThorn
29-01-2015, 12:21 PM
Ehhh, even with socks they can really damage your feet. The newer ones (made by Danner) aren't nearly as bad as the old jungle boots, though of course they'll cost a lot. The major problem lots of our troops had with them was that because they were rubberised, sweat never evaporated, and the feet were always wet, leading to serious fungal infections and even gangrene at the worst.
I do think something more breathable would be a bit better, though you can always purchase waterproof overboots (something like this (http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Safety-11001-04-LG-SuperFit-Overboot/dp/B0017RM20G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422537446&sr=8-2&keywords=Men%27s+overboots)) for water crossings, marshy areas, or summer downpours. You might also want to consider mid or low-cut boots, say, something like this (http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Woodburn-Hiking-Black-Rocks/dp/B00DE02X8K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422537305&sr=8-2&keywords=Columbia+Men%27s+Woodburn) or this (http://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Mens-Ventilator-Hiking-Walnut/dp/B000LP2MGY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422537221&sr=8-1&keywords=merrell+mens+moab+ventilator). They won't be as heavy as high boots but still have good ankle support.

Valantine
29-01-2015, 01:32 PM
I got these off Fishtec last year at a discounted price and so far they have been really good and very light for a high boot.
-->http://www.fishtec.co.uk/buy.cfm/fishing-clothing/tf-gear-extreme-green-and-rockhopper-boots/40/no/62356

Ranger
29-01-2015, 02:14 PM
I got these off Fishtec last year at a discounted price and so far they have been really good and very light for a high boot.
-->http://www.fishtec.co.uk/buy.cfm/fishing-clothing/tf-gear-extreme-green-and-rockhopper-boots/40/no/62356

Have your feet been good through summer? My main issue now is overheating of my feet as well as waterproof-ness.

Valantine
29-01-2015, 04:50 PM
My feet get hot in summer too. It's a problem I have conquered by having a pair of hiking shoes for hot weather.
When the weather was still very warm last year I was still comfortable in these new boots off Fishtec with wicking socks.

Ranger
29-01-2015, 05:26 PM
My feet get hot in summer too. It's a problem I have conquered by having a pair of hiking shoes for hot weather.
When the weather was still very warm last year I was still comfortable in these new boots off Fishtec with wicking socks.
So is there a way to have high hot weather boots that are breathable? The other concern I have is with chiggers and ticks around my ankle

peterbermingham
29-01-2015, 06:11 PM
Had a pair of Bates m9 not a bad boot until they fell apart after about 6 months have a pair of Hanwag Tatra top GTX which i find good so far might be a bit hot on the foot over their

ian c
29-01-2015, 08:31 PM
I used the hi tec magnums (hot weather issue) for a 6 month tour then they went into my locker till the next tour and they were brilliant they lasted both 6 month tours and I then wore them till they were worn out and could not be repaired but they were comfortable boots, the only down side was I had to buy another pair as they were no longer issued.

Valantine
30-01-2015, 01:21 PM
So is there a way to have high hot weather boots that are breathable? The other concern I have is with chiggers and ticks around my ankle

Think you're flogging the proverbial dead horse there, ticks and the like can climb up and down and will find a way in if they're hungry enough.
e.g. American civil war re-enactor that got a tick on his genitals.

tds123
09-02-2015, 11:17 AM
I use rigger boots, there not too heavy for me, but not really light, steel toecaps and tough as er, old boots!12984

Ranger
09-02-2015, 11:44 AM
Think you're flogging the proverbial dead horse there, ticks and the like can climb up and down and will find a way in if they're hungry enough.
e.g. American civil war re-enactor that got a tick on his genitals.
Well I am not trying to prevent them, bit make it more difficult to get bit. Plus I find high riding boots more comfortable. I would at least want something very water resistant.

tds123
10-02-2015, 10:03 PM
Well I am not trying to prevent them, bit make it more difficult to get bit. Plus I find high riding boots more comfortable. I would at least want something very water resistant.

I should probably think you know this already, but if you do get a tick, a spot of Vaseline on it's bum(fanny for our US cousins) and it will let go and drop off, as they breathe through there arse (ass) when feeding on a host.
Sorry for being patronising, it was a poor attempt at humer lol

Ranger
11-02-2015, 07:29 PM
I should probably think you know this already, but if you do get a tick, a spot of Vaseline on it's bum(fanny for our US cousins) and it will let go and drop off, as they breathe through there arse (ass) when feeding on a host.
Sorry for being patronising, it was a poor attempt at humer lol

Haha, I got it, and great tip! Although I normally don't carry Vaseline with me into the woods, but I guess I could use pine pitch or similar natural materials. But I must ask, as I have not been bitten by a tick, if you can rip their body apart to get them off of you

tds123
11-02-2015, 07:38 PM
Haha, I got it, and great tip! Although I normally don't carry Vaseline with me into the woods, but I guess I could use pine pitch or similar natural materials. But I must ask, as I have not been bitten by a tick, if you can rip their body apart to get them off of you

If you do that you'll leave the head in and get infection!

jus_young
11-02-2015, 10:03 PM
Ticks should be removed using a suitable 'tick removal tool' or fine tweezers. Applying products to the body parts of ticks, squeezing them or trying to tear them apart may result in the tick regurgitating fluids into your bloodstream with the result of you contracting Lyme Disease.

Ranger
11-02-2015, 10:18 PM
Ticks should be removed using a suitable 'tick removal tool' or fine tweezers. Applying products to the body parts of ticks, squeezing them or trying to tear them apart may result in the tick regurgitating fluids into your bloodstream with the result of you contracting Lyme Disease.
Oh, yeah I just wish we didn't have ticks....I know of someone who lost his legs due to a wood tick bite, and the only thing I know of that keeps them at bay is tea tree oil. But with the styles of boots I want have better protection and ankle support

tds123
11-02-2015, 10:23 PM
Oh, yeah I just wish we didn't have ticks....I know of someone who lost his legs due to a wood tick bite, and the only thing I know of that keeps them at bay is tea tree oil. But with the styles of boots I want have better protection and ankle support

Did yo see my post about rigger boots?

Ranger
12-02-2015, 12:00 AM
Did yo see my post about rigger boots?
Yeah, I am going to check them out. I would prefer a tighter boot like lace up ones though...

tds123
12-02-2015, 12:07 AM
Personally I find them more comfortable, and practically indestructible. Best of luck in the hunt for the right boot for you
Regards Tim

OakAshandThorn
12-02-2015, 03:35 PM
Sound words, Jus...I managed to get a total of 5 deer ticks on me over the course of last year, and one of them sent me to the doc, that was not fun. :eek:
I have a small pair of tweezers as part of my Victorinox Huntsman, but now I do regular in-field tick-checks every few hours.