PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening my mora

Cobalt
02-03-2011, 07:48 PM
Hi to all,
I just got my first bushcraft knife. Its a Mora quick snap 911 in carbon steel.

I've been reading online about how to sharpen it, but as there's so many options I'm not sure which is the best and cheapest way to go about it.

Water stones look like a good option, but not sure I want to spend £70 if there's a better option out there.

Please can you let me know what methods you use to get the best results.

Thanks,
Pete.

JonnyP
02-03-2011, 08:39 PM
I still use a cheap method.. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11571&page=1

CanadianMike
02-03-2011, 10:12 PM
If it's new, you shouldn't have to "sharpen" it for a while, but will have to hone it after using a few times. There is a difference really, sharpening is rebevelling the edge a small bit to thin it and produce microscopic 'teeth', much like a saw. After using it those teeth will get out of alignment and dull the edge a bit, honing it straightens those teeth and makes it slice more efficiently.

So, for honing, you can go easy routes like use the bottom of a ceramic coffee mug (sand the ring edge flat and smooth first) and move the blade like you are trying to slice paper thin slices off the cup. You can also hone on the edge of a car window that is rolled down halfway, same angle. There are many ways to hone and many ways to sharpen, best to learn as many as you can in case you ever have to improvise to bring a dull blade back to life.

resnikov
02-03-2011, 10:43 PM
fallkniven dc4 is what i use and a strop with some autosol on it.

Kiltie
03-03-2011, 04:32 PM
No I'm not 'avin a larrf', been using this method for years and would recommend you try it-I can guarantee you won't look back, this little gizmo gives an angle of 22½°, which is as near as the micro-bevel on your knife when you get it, 22½° is the optimum for sharpness and durability of the edge of a general purpose bush knife-

here it is :wink:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Devils-Lifestyle-Super-Sharpener/dp/B0012B4EYE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1299172588&sr=8-3

tie it to your sheath and use it like a butcher uses a steel, 3 or 4 swipes on a regular basis-seemples

Zam
26-04-2011, 10:13 PM
fallkniven dc4 is what i use and a strop with some autosol on it.
In the field so do I, at home I use the "cheap method".

paul standley
27-04-2011, 12:27 PM
JonnyP and Kiltie give interesting examples of methods of sharpening and as a newbie to knife sharpening I'm still trying to get to a 'comfortable place' with how best to sharpen (I have a Mora)

Whilst I'd like to get to a level of proficiency with knife sharpening skills, right now I just want a quick way to get a good working edge and so I'm drawn to Kiltie's idea (or several similar small hand held versions) and have been looking around at these little gizmo's for the last few days but I'll have to buy one and try it to see if they are as good as the reviews seem to suggest... what a minefield :-)

MikeWilkinson
27-04-2011, 12:47 PM
I'm for all things cheap and cheerful, so why not get yourself a cheap b&q oil stone for about a £5 and then strop with an old leather belt and some honing paste.
Works wonderfully well for me. For out in the field I generally just strop on a leather belt, but have a small lansky puck stone (approx £7) for my axe that will get a functioning edge on my Mora.