PDA

View Full Version : Giraffe hunting

happybonzo
15-01-2015, 06:04 AM
This was published on Facebook -

Why the hell would anyone want to shoot a Giraffe? They're hardly the most inconspicuous animal and I cannot imagine that they're much threat.

There are, apparently, fewer Giraffes now than African Elephants so why this person should be so proud of having destroyed an endangered animal is beyond me

Petition link - http://forcechange.com/136065/save-giraffes-from-extinction/?utm_source=ForceChange+Newsletter&utm_campaign=3c796d864e-NL48012_10_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_600a6911b9-3c796d864e-298107405

Just to add: Yes, I do go shooting and "yes" I do eat what I shoot except for the Foxes who are making yet another attempt to destroy our Chickens

jus_young
15-01-2015, 07:23 AM
Slightly edited your post there HB but I agree with you wholeheartedly. This particular lady has appeared on Facebook numerous times, normally associated with a petition about her actions that are very publicly advertised by herself. She pretty much wants every trophy going and the rarity of the animal has no bearing

Rasputin
15-01-2015, 10:47 AM
Signed and shared HB. Ive shot all my life for the table, never killed anything for fun its disgusting,atb Ken

Valantine
15-01-2015, 01:08 PM
A giraffe is not exactly a unmissable target either so SIGNED

laika
15-01-2015, 02:05 PM
Wot everyone's already said.... Don't really have words for this one.... signed and shared.....

OakAshandThorn
15-01-2015, 04:35 PM
That's just despicable...so much for responsible hunting. SIGNED.

midas
15-01-2015, 06:14 PM
I like my quarry to be able to fight back n get ones adrenalin going.Hence I shoot wild Boars.n they go into the food chain.

The only good thing about RICH people,shooting the Big Five,or a Giraffe! is the money will go to providing n paying for game wardens to protect the others!!!
Sometimes one has to make sacrifices to save others etc.

Ranger
30-01-2015, 01:56 AM
That's just weird, what can you do with a giraffe? Is not like a deer which is hunted for meat and tallow and antlers, etc... Waste of life...

FishyFolk
30-01-2015, 07:47 AM
These animals are normally culled from wild game parks, and the fees that the shooters pay goes towards the upkeep of the parks, pays for game wardens that protects the animlals from poachers etc.
So am all for this type of animal shooting.

OakAshandThorn
30-01-2015, 11:59 AM
These animals are normally culled from wild game parks, and the fees that the shooters pay goes towards the upkeep of the parks, pays for game wardens that protects the animlals from poachers etc.
So am all for this type of animal shooting.
The wardens don't cull the herd themselves?...

Paul De Fitter
30-01-2015, 01:50 PM
The wardens don't cull the herd themselves?...

Not when you can get a rich person to pay a fortune to do it !

happybonzo
31-01-2015, 06:58 AM

I know that is the policy in a lot of Game Parks

- it's just that I quite like Giraffes and don't really see them as a major threat to Life and Limb - also, they are becoming an endangered species and on that basis, I would seriously question the validity of killing them

Waylander
31-01-2015, 06:36 PM
Not something I would personally choose to do.

But just because I don't like something, I don't automatically believe we should ban it. That route leads to totalitarianism.

It also lead to the UK's stupid knee jerk firearms legislation.

Species like this are not just randomly shot, they are properly managed and culled.

Some of these posts smack of the limp wristed attitude that anti hunt sabs have. On a bush craft forum people should know better :rolleyes:

Waylander:cool:

Rasputin
31-01-2015, 08:06 PM
I know that is the policy in a lot of Game Parks

- it's just that I quite like Giraffes and don't really see them as a major threat to Life and Limb - also, they are becoming an endangered species and on that basis, I would seriously question the validity of killing them Agreed, T^

FishyFolk
31-01-2015, 08:21 PM
Better that these animals are shot by a rich dude with at least some rudimentary hunting ethics, who pays as much as they dare charge him for the privelege. money that pays for the protection of the rest of the Girafes from poachers who would just mow the whole herd down with an AK-47 to take whatever body part is valauable to sell on the black market, while leaving the carcass to rot (well the hyenas and vultures would get their part I suppose).

midas
31-01-2015, 08:41 PM
Ditto to Runes comments.
also
The Bush meat will be a useful addition to the villages diet.

OakAshandThorn
01-02-2015, 01:12 AM
Ah, I see...

Better that these animals are shot by a rich dude with at least some rudimentary hunting ethics, who pays as much as they dare charge him for the privelege. money that pays for the protection of the rest of the Girafes from poachers who would just mow the whole herd down with an AK-47 to take whatever body part is valauable to sell on the black market, while leaving the carcass to rot (well the hyenas and vultures would get their part I suppose).
T^ I can definitely agree to that.