PDA

View Full Version : Trapping foxes, otters, rabbits, and squirrels ps. raccoon!

Ranger
14-01-2015, 01:32 AM
Hey, i hope i am in the right section, as this seemed most fitting, but correct me if I am wrong.

I want to become sort of a trapper as i have a squirrel hide (which i really need to learn how to tan since it is just dried), and i want to learn more about trapping. i am not wanting to go into it full time, just as a cute hobby to collect a few furs. so without further ado, this is what i would like to know:
-How do i trap squirrel, otter, rabbit, raccoon, and fox?
-could i get away with trapping the first 4 without license?
-what equipment should i look at?
-would the meat still be salvageable if i checked once a day on my lines and one happened to be caught soon after me checking?
-with raccoon (as that, rabbit, and squirrel i would lock on the most and prefer), should i just look for fresh roadkill and skin it, or hunt with gun over trapping?
-what kind of stuff can i do with furs besides having nice looking skins i could cuddle with at night? (just kidding about cuddling)

ian c
14-01-2015, 02:00 AM
I would not about trapping licence for where you are but over here I can trap/ snare rabbits, foxes and grey squirrels without one, I do have permission to trap/ snare the land where I am, if you do not know how to set a snare your best bet would be to find someone who would be willing to teach you how and where to set them, they should be able to tell you about the laws of where you are about trapping, hopefully this helps you.

OakAshandThorn
14-01-2015, 02:15 AM
I'm no trapper, but I would check your states fish and game laws beforehand.

Ranger
14-01-2015, 02:41 AM
I checked and squirrel has season but raccoon and rabbit I believe are all year. My thing with foxes is that they aren't very common in Florida, or rather I haven't seen many

Tony1948
14-01-2015, 12:47 PM
Have a look at Andrew's video's on trapping,-TheWildNorth-,he got loads on youtube.We on this side of the pond do not trap coons or otters,for coon trapping try Sam Wood Outdoors he has a full length coon trapping video,good luck bud......................Dont get eaten by the bears......Tony.

Ranger
18-02-2015, 02:53 PM
Have a look at Andrew's video's on trapping,-TheWildNorth-,he got loads on youtube.We on this side of the pond do not trap coons or otters,for coon trapping try Sam Wood Outdoors he has a full length coon trapping video,good luck bud......................Dont get eaten by the bears......Tony.

Haha thanks! Sorry for the late reply, but in Florida I guess I shouldn't have to worry about our small black bears :P, although I have been dying to get one's hide to put on my wall...

midas
18-02-2015, 06:20 PM
Haha thanks! Sorry for the late reply, but in Florida I guess I shouldn't have to worry about our small black bears :P, although I have been dying to get one's hide to put on my wall...

Hi Ranger,missed this post myself.If you go to the hunting section of the forum.you will see a post by me on how to cure skinsor hides as you call em.We shoot from hides.lol."CURING SKINS--A NEW METHOD."
Petty good better n less meesy than using brains etc.Hope it helps.???
Bear!!! The claws make nice necklaces/mementoes,i have a nice trophy in a Navaho silver mount.with a blue stone.Find the skins a bit thick n manky,unless of course you shoot a trophy one n not a pest.!

Ranger
18-02-2015, 06:59 PM
Hi Ranger,missed this post myself.If you go to the hunting section of the forum.you will see a post by me on how to cure skinsor hides as you call em.We shoot from hides.lol."CURING SKINS--A NEW METHOD."
Petty good better n less meesy than using brains etc.Hope it helps.???
Bear!!! The claws make nice necklaces/mementoes,i have a nice trophy in a Navaho silver mount.with a blue stone.Find the skins a bit thick n manky,unless of course you shoot a trophy one n not a pest.!

I will be sure to check it out. And nice! I love the Navajo and spent a few weeks with them in New Mexico a while back, and it just astounds me what they can do with stuff we would otherwise discard!