PDA

View Full Version : DD 3x3m tarp FAQ?

Ranger
13-01-2015, 10:06 PM
Hey I have recently been slapped in the face with the fact that I don't have $165 to buy an oilskin tarp from tentsmiths which is the one I desired to ruggedness. So I have been introduced to the DD Tarp and checked it out and it looks cheap. I know that a lot of people have it and I mean no disrespect, but I don't know much about tarps and want something that is rugged and I haven't had any experience with tarps except crappy Walmart ones. So my concerns are the cheap looking thin material it is made of and whether the stitching will hold up. I just don't know if I could fork out $60 for something I am unsure of. So please help me out with your reviews and if you have a used one or another tarp you recommend or have to sell, let me know!
Thanks a lot!

FishyFolk
13-01-2015, 10:20 PM
Hey I have recently been slapped in the face with the fact that I don't have $165 to buy an oilskin tarp from tentsmiths which is the one I desired to ruggedness. So I have been introduced to the DD Tarp and checked it out and it looks cheap. I know that a lot of people have it and I mean no disrespect, but I don't know much about tarps and want something that is rugged and I haven't had any experience with tarps except crappy Walmart ones. So my concerns are the cheap looking thin material it is made of and whether the stitching will hold up. I just don't know if I could fork out $60 for something I am unsure of. So please help me out with your reviews and if you have a used one or another tarp you recommend or have to sell, let me know!
Thanks a lot!

The answer is: Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7L1VIcvz8g

ian c
13-01-2015, 10:47 PM
I have the DD 4.5 x 3mtr and the 3 x 3mtr tarp and I do like them have used them quite a lot with no problems.

Ranger
13-01-2015, 10:47 PM
The answer is: Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7L1VIcvz8g
So it is really good with cold weather? How do you like it? Have you ever turn it?

OakAshandThorn
14-01-2015, 01:11 AM
The difference between a hardware store poly tarp and a quality nylon tarp is great. I only mentioned the DD 3x3 as a suggestion, there are several other brands that make great inexpensive tarps. ;)
No one really uses canvas anymore, except die-hard traditionalists and reenactors, because modern synthetics are lighter, they dry out much quicker, and are stronger. Just because something looks rugged doesn't necessarily mean that it is. There is a reason why mountain climbers and backpackers don't use canvas shelters. And don't be persuaded to believe the misconception that nylon tarps will burst into flame if a fire is made below...

Firing up a brew under the poncho. As long as you keep the fire a manageable size, just large enough for cooking, you should have no problem at all.

What you purchase for your kit is your choice, but if you really want to get a canvas tarp, I'd recommend just buying a painters drop cloth first and trying it out before you go ahead and spend the *cringe*:shocked: $165.

Ranger
14-01-2015, 01:17 AM
The difference between a hardware store poly tarp and a quality nylon tarp is great. I only mentioned the DD 3x3 as a suggestion, there are several other brands that make great inexpensive tarps. ;)
No one really uses canvas anymore, except die-hard traditionalists and reenactors, because modern synthetics are lighter, they dry out much quicker, and are stronger. Just because something looks rugged doesn't necessarily mean that it is. There is a reason why mountain climbers and backpackers don't use canvas shelters. And don't be persuaded to believe the misconception that nylon tarps will burst into flame if a fire is made below...

Firing up a brew under the poncho. As long as you keep the fire a manageable size, just large enough for cooking, you should have no problem at all.

What you purchase for your kit is your choice, but if you really want to get a canvas tarp, I'd recommend just buying a painters drop cloth first and trying it out before you go ahead and spend the *cringe*:shocked: $165.

ok, you are right. i just need to get my hands on them instead of hiding behind my computer screen watching dave canturbury for endless hours. with the DD, i don't like the plastic corner pieces, do they have a purpose?

Ehecatl
14-01-2015, 06:24 AM
I have the DD 4.5 x 3mtr and the 3 x 3mtr tarp and I do like them have used them quite a lot with no problems.

Wot he said. The 4.5 x 3 is a recent addition to my kit and I love being able to fold the ends in so it is nice and cosy.

Ehecatl
14-01-2015, 06:26 AM
ok, you are right. i just need to get my hands on them instead of hiding behind my computer screen watching dave canturbury for endless hours. with the DD, i don't like the plastic corner pieces, do they have a purpose?

Yes, they strengthen the attachment points so the stitching does not pull out of just a single layer of material.

FishyFolk
14-01-2015, 07:37 AM
Have you ever turn it?

I do not quite understand your question :-)
Please clarify :-)

FishyFolk
14-01-2015, 07:45 AM
So it is really good with cold weather? How do you like it? Have you ever turn it?

It is really good. In the video I slept right trough a polar low...that is basically a snow storm with up to hurricane strength winds (probably not this time). When I woke up it had snowed a good 40 cm. And most of the snow just slid right off the tarp and gathered on both sides, and built up a natural snow shelter with the tarp as roof. I was totally oblivious to this as I slept right trough it all. I was not hammered by the wind though, as you can see from the picture I was in a sheltered position. If you look at the video from when I am cooking, you can see the tarp and hammock in the background how little snow there was before I went to bed.

Anyway ; love the DD tarp. But it is my first tarp of this type. Before I have only had cheap reenforced plastic tarps. mine is a 4,5x3 meters.

Valantine
14-01-2015, 08:55 AM
I have two 3x3 tarp's (one for when my eldest lad comes out with us) a DD and a Tenth Wonder, I prefer to use the Tenth Wonder version it's the way it's been put together that just seems right to me.

Ranger
14-01-2015, 10:29 AM
It is really good. In the video I slept right trough a polar low...that is basically a snow storm with up to hurricane strength winds (probably not this time). When I woke up it had snowed a good 40 cm. And most of the snow just slid right off the tarp and gathered on both sides, and built up a natural snow shelter with the tarp as roof. I was totally oblivious to this as I slept right trough it all. I was not hammered by the wind though, as you can see from the picture I was in a sheltered position. If you look at the video from when I am cooking, you can see the tarp and hammock in the background how little snow there was before I went to bed.

Anyway ; love the DD tarp. But it is my first tarp of this type. Before I have only had cheap reenforced plastic tarps. mine is a 4,5x3 meters.
Wow, OK I think I want it now! Oh and my original question was if you tore it. Yeah turn wouldn't make much sense...

Ehecatl
14-01-2015, 10:46 AM
Hi Ranger. I would recommend the 4.5 X 3m over the 3m. It offers more protection. If I had my time again I would have gone straight for the 4.5x3. But at least I have two tarps now :o

Ranger
14-01-2015, 10:55 AM
Hi Ranger. I would recommend the 4.5 X 3m over the 3m. It offers more protection. If I had my time again I would have gone straight for the 4.5x3. But at least I have two tarps now :o
My thing is that I am just going to put a hammock under it and just small amounts of gear, as it will be my backpacking tarp. I was originally going for 8x8ft tarp...

Valantine
14-01-2015, 11:20 AM
I manage well with my hammock under a 3x3. I would say that 3x3 is the minimum for an average adult in a hammock.
What do others think.

Ehecatl
14-01-2015, 12:11 PM
Agreed that it's the minimum for an average adult. I prefer the 4.5X3 as it gives a bit more protection and space.

ian c
14-01-2015, 06:42 PM
For hammock camping 3 x 3mtr tarp is the smallest that I would use, I also prefer my 4.5 x 3mtr for more protection and space.

Ranger
14-01-2015, 07:03 PM
For hammock camping 3 x 3mtr tarp is the smallest that I would use, I also prefer my 4.5 x 3mtr for more protection and space.
Well my hammock is going to be 2m to 3m long, so 10 ft. I would think it is enough protection for me. I think that over 10ft by 10ft is too big as I am 6ft and won't be carrying too much gear as, for example, bumbling bushcraft has because I am in a hot environment that doesn't get below 40°F mucj and I don't need much gear.

Chubbs
14-01-2015, 07:38 PM
I have two tarps, a 3 x 3 and a 4 . 5 x 3.

The 3 x 3 is fine for my Hornet Hammock, especially if hung on the diagonal which I have started to do more often. The 4.5 x 3 covers everything but it seems massive compared to the 3 x 3. I have only ever used it twice, and one of the times was for protection from monsoon rain at a meet last year. I have often thought why a 3.5 x 3.5 isn't available. Surely it would make sense to have one this size.

Johnnyboy1971
14-01-2015, 07:41 PM
If you want an alternative to the DD(very happy with mine in all conditions) is the Tatonka poly cotton
http://www.tatonka.com/Products/Tents/tarps-tarp-poles/Tarp-2-TC/2461

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd514/johnnyboy1971/B05F4F1A-AEBC-4451-B200-B1EB71BAC7C7-907-0000013254D42413_zps6c27fda9.jpg (http://s1223.photobucket.com/user/johnnyboy1971/media/B05F4F1A-AEBC-4451-B200-B1EB71BAC7C7-907-0000013254D42413_zps6c27fda9.jpg.html)

jus_young
14-01-2015, 09:51 PM
I have used the DD 3x3 for a few years now both hammocking and as additional shelter over the fire when family camping and absolutely love it. I also have a Tenth Wonder Sargasso which only ever comes out on odd occasions in the summer. I have now bought the DD superlight tarp to reduce the bulk a bit but would never consider an alternative make again.

OakAshandThorn
14-01-2015, 10:53 PM
I have used the DD 3x3 for a few years now both hammocking and as additional shelter over the fire when family camping and absolutely love it. I also have a Tenth Wonder Sargasso which only ever comes out on odd occasions in the summer. I have now bought the DD superlight tarp to reduce the bulk a bit but would never consider an alternative make again.
Almost forgot to ask you, Jus, is the Superlight tarp made out of sil-nylon?

jus_young
15-01-2015, 07:26 AM
Almost forgot to ask you, Jus, is the Superlight tarp made out of sil-nylon?
No, it is still a coated fabric with a much lighter material used which surprised me to be honest. The TW tarp I have is silnylon and time will tell how durable both are.

OakAshandThorn
15-01-2015, 11:45 AM
No, it is still a coated fabric with a much lighter material used which surprised me to be honest. The TW tarp I have is silnylon and time will tell how durable both are.
Interesting, good to know :).

Pootle
16-01-2015, 11:31 AM
plus one for the dd tarp. I used mine for the first time this week. It kept me dry as a storm rolled in off the sea with hail and high winds. when I first unpacked it it seemed very thin and flimsy compared to my British surplus basha. but I'm really happy with it so far.